The Student Room Group

Manchester University A100 (2017 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by medhelp
how long did you spend preparing for the UKCAT? your score is amazing.

about 2 months
Original post by mliela
So nice to see you guys so ready and enthusiastic. I got an offer from Manchester this year so if you have any questions just ask.

Manchester are quite UKCAT heavy. Each year they have a strict UKCAT cutoff. Which is around 665? Usually I think. But from what I've seen they seem to give interviews out according to UKCAT score. Not completely sure but it seems to be a trend. You also have to submit a non academic form as opposed to them reading your personal statement.

Do you think it would be even worth applying given a score of 660 which is what I got ?
Reply 62
Anyone know if Manchester has a cut off for each section or just an average for UKCAT? Scored 717 average but only 610 in AR. Thanks.
Bump.
Original post by 99-bdk23
Anyone know if Manchester has a cut off for each section or just an average for UKCAT? Scored 717 average but only 610 in AR. Thanks.

No, they do not have any cut off for each section and your scores are pretty safe in term of their UKCAT average cutoff in my opinion.
Reply 65
I am currently studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Geography for AS. I am hoping to achieve at AS 4A's or 3A's and a B in maths. In my GCSEs I got:
Maths- A*
R.E- A*
Geography- A*
Irish - A*
Double Award Science - A*A
English Language - A
English Literature - A
Drama - B
Further Maths - C

I am currently volunteering in a group with working with children who have disabilities, and I also have applied for volunteering in the hospital and also a GP surgery.
Do I have a chance at applying for medicine?
On UCAS when entering Manchester as a choice it says you need to sit the UKCAT as well as the IOT (institution's own test). Has anyone else experienced this?
Original post by kayasparkles
On UCAS when entering Manchester as a choice it says you need to sit the UKCAT as well as the IOT (institution's own test). Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes, the IOT is a form that Manchester make you fill out instead of reading your personal statement. Here's a copy: https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/media/mhs/mhswebteam/documents/course-files/medicine/NonAcademicInformationForm_copy.pdf

You can either find the live link on their website and fill it in now, or wait for it to be emailed to you after the 15th October UCAS deadline.
Reply 68
I am currently studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Geography for AS. I am hoping to achieve at AS 4A's or 3A's and a B in maths. In my GCSEs I got:Maths- A*R.E- A*Geography- A*Irish - A*Double Award Science - A*AEnglish Language - AEnglish Literature - ADrama - BFurther Maths - CI am currently volunteering in a group with working with children who have disabilities, and I also have applied for volunteering in the hospital and also a GP surgery.Do I have a chance at applying for medicine?
Original post by dkfalling
Yes, the IOT is a form that Manchester make you fill out instead of reading your personal statement. Here's a copy: https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/media/mhs/mhswebteam/documents/course-files/medicine/NonAcademicInformationForm_copy.pdf

You can either find the live link on their website and fill it in now, or wait for it to be emailed to you after the 15th October UCAS deadline.

Ahhh it all makes sense now! Thanks 😊
Reply 70
GCSEs: 10A*s 1A
AS: AAAAPredicted: A*AAAUKCAT: 640 :/ band 2 sjtMy ukcat isn't too good so is it worth replying?Is the course majority PBL? Is there opportunities to do a placement abroad?Do they mind if you resit AS/A2 modules?
Reply 71
Original post by mf98
GCSEs: 10A*s 1A
AS: AAAAPredicted: A*AAAUKCAT: 640 :/ band 2 sjtMy ukcat isn't too good so is it worth replying?Is the course majority PBL? Is there opportunities to do a placement abroad?Do they mind if you resit AS/A2 modules?

Resisting modules within your first two alevel years is fine.

The course is fully PBL. You open and close a new PBL case every week.

There is an opportunity to do a placement abroad in your final year as part of your StEP.

Unfortunately, with that UKCAT score, it would be unlikely that you'd be offered an interview, based on the previous cut off scores over the last 5 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on which universities I would have the best chance of applying in and getting an interview. I have only got an average UKCAT score of 670 and been really panicking with uni choices!! Do you think 670 is good enough for manchester????
VR= 570
QR= 740
AR= 700
Average= 670 (2010)
Band 2
AS grades= AAAA
A2 predicted= A* A* A
GCSE grades= 6 A*s and 3 As
Im thinking hull york, nottingham, manchester, birmingham, cardiff and Bristol?? Which ones should I avoid?? Thank youuuu😊😊😊
Reply 73
Original post by nickynjoe
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on which universities I would have the best chance of applying in and getting an interview. I have only got an average UKCAT score of 670 and been really panicking with uni choices!! Do you think 670 is good enough for manchester????
VR= 570
QR= 740
AR= 700
Average= 670 (2010)
Band 2
AS grades= AAAA
A2 predicted= A* A* A
GCSE grades= 6 A*s and 3 As
Im thinking hull york, nottingham, manchester, birmingham, cardiff and Bristol?? Which ones should I avoid?? Thank youuuu😊😊😊

I would avoid Cardiff and Birmingham. Their GCSE A* cutoff tends to be around 7A*s or higher.
Your UKCAT will be on the boundary for Manchester's cutoff so it's risky.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mliela
I would avoid Cardiff and Birmingham. Their GCSE A* cutoff tends to be around 7A*s or higher.
Your UKCAT will be on the boundary for Manchester's cutoff so it's risky.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for your reply, have you got any advice on which Universities I would have a better chance of applying to then?? :smile:
Based on the UKCAT results, just published, and last year's cut off for Manchester, does anyone have an idea what would the cut off for this year's cycle be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Miloinmyblood
Based on the UKCAT results, just published, and last year's cut off for Manchester, does anyone have an idea what would the cut off for this year's cycle be?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,
From previous years it seems that manchesters cut off is just below the 70th percentile... Except for last year where it was the 70th percentile. I got 1990 on ukcat which is bang on 70% so not sure whether it's worth a shot cuz cut off may be higher.
Original post by Kantth1
Hi,
From previous years it seems that manchesters cut off is just below the 70th percentile... Except for last year where it was the 70th percentile. I got 1990 on ukcat which is bang on 70% so not sure whether it's worth a shot cuz cut off may be higher.

Hey thanks for the clarity there!! I'm sure it's worth a shot, I mean who knows what the threshold will be this year - it might drop, it might increase! I'd definitely try if I were you! I got 2050 but my breakdown is rather hilarious:
VR: 550
QR: 900
AR: 600

Good luck man!! Any idea when Manchester send out the invites for interviews?

Cheers mate!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kantth1
Hi,

Why when it has never been above the 70th percentile would they make it above the 70th percentile this year? It doesn't fit the trend.

I think you're safe applying to Manchester.
Hi everyone, I have applied to Manchester for medicine :smile:

GCSE : 4A* 7A
AS: AAAAB Biology, Maths, Computer Science, IT (taken early) and Chemistry
A2 predictions : AAA Biology , Maths and Chemistry
UKCAT : VR- 760, QR-850, AR-690, SJ- Band 1, Average-767
Work Experience : Two weeks across three hospitals and various volunteering
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending