The Student Room Group

Taking a gap year but I'm a bit worried. Help?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pn2020
Im going to university next year, I've decided to take a gap year this year. As im 18 now when i go to university next year i'll be 19. However, I'm a bit worried that with me being 19 next year i'll be one of the oldest in my lectures? Out of the friends i make i feel that i'll be one of the oldest, i know that people of all ages go to uni but i kinda feel that everyones gonna be younger than me. Any help?

I've started uni at 20.
there are people with kids on my course.
the oldest flatmate i have is 22
the youngest is 19.

don't worry about anything.
most likely the majority of people on your course have retaken a year. causing them to be your age.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Age is just a number. I have friends who are younger than me but act older than me if that makes sense? And vice versa.
Reply 22
Original post by loperdoper
At 19 (after taking a gap year), I'm the youngest in my flat. The rest are 20-22.

Are a lot of people in your year older than you or are most of them 18?
Reply 23
Original post by unaManzana
I've started uni at 20.
there are people with kids on my course.
the oldest flatmate i have is 22
the youngest is 19.

don't worry about anything.
most likely the majority of people on your course have retaken a year. causing them to be your age.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you. I'm just worried incase most people in my halls are younger than me even though i'll only be 19 haha. Are there a lot of people in your year 19 or older?
Original post by Pn2020
thank you. I'm just worried incase most people in my halls are younger than me even though i'll only be 19 haha. Are there a lot of people in your year 19 or older?

yes lol I've still not met anyone who's 18 years old.

trust me bro, you'll be fine

I've seen uncles and aunties walk around on campus lmaooo
Reply 25
Original post by unaManzana
yes lol I've still not met anyone who's 18 years old.

trust me bro, you'll be fine

I've seen uncles and aunties walk around on campus lmaooo

what uni if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by Pn2020
Are a lot of people in your year older than you or are most of them 18?

To be honest, I haven't asked. It really doesn't matter. Looking at everyone in my course, you absolutely can't tell. People don't always go straight to uni, or straight into Year 1, even if it doesn't feel like it from your sixth form.
Reply 27
Original post by loperdoper
To be honest, I haven't asked. It really doesn't matter. Looking at everyone in my course, you absolutely can't tell. People don't always go straight to uni, or straight into Year 1, even if it doesn't feel like it from your sixth form.

You never feel weird though that a lot of people may be younger than you? Sorry about all the questions 🙈
Original post by Pn2020
You never feel weird though that a lot of people may be younger than you? Sorry about all the questions 🙈

No? I worked full time in my year off and I worked with 15-16 year olds, and I still didn't always notice the age gap (it's more down to maturity than age). Unless your birthday is 31st August, there are people in your school year younger than you right now. I can 100% guarantee you will not notice the age difference, your maturity levels are going to be roughly the same as the majority of people you meet.
You've got absolutely nothing to worry about.
However - it was a damn foolish decision to take a gap year. You'll most likely drop your studying routine and it will be harder for you to adopt to uni. 3 months is plenty of time to chillax
Reply 30
Original post by RosesAreRed1
You've got absolutely nothing to worry about.
However - it was a damn foolish decision to take a gap year. You'll most likely drop your studying routine and it will be harder for you to adopt to uni. 3 months is plenty of time to chillax

Erm no it wasn't a foolish idea? I had my own personal reasons to take a gap year so I'm sure it was the right thing to do given my circumstances...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending