The Student Room Group

European Convention of Human Rights

Hiya!

So I was just curious as I am contemplating writing briefly about it in my personal statement, do you guys learn about the ECHR? Like does it come up a lot when discussing human rights law? Also does it come up a lot during some of the other modules covered in a law undergraduate degree?

I hope my question made sense!

Many Thanks
Samiha x
Reply 1
Original post by Samihab
Hiya!

So I was just curious as I am contemplating writing briefly about it in my personal statement, do you guys learn about the ECHR? Like does it come up a lot when discussing human rights law? Also does it come up a lot during some of the other modules covered in a law undergraduate degree?

I hope my question made sense!

Many Thanks
Samiha x

LOL - it might be rather blindly obvious to state it but yes, the ECHR does come up rather frequently when discussing human rights law. It also touches on virtually every other area of UK law, so yes it will feature at some point in other modules. It would be a mistake, however, to assume that it is the only human rights instrument which affects UK law.
Reply 2
Original post by cliffg
LOL - it might be rather blindly obvious to state it but yes, the ECHR does come up rather frequently when discussing human rights law. It also touches on virtually every other area of UK law, so yes it will feature at some point in other modules. It would be a mistake, however, to assume that it is the only human rights instrument which affects UK law.

Hi, thanks for your reply it's really helped me! What do you mean by it's not the only instrument in human rights law? Also I'm really stuggling with my personal statement! I have no idea what to put in it! My mentor said it was **** and that there was no passion in it 😒 so now I've said about how I'm passionate about human rights law, do you have any ideas on what else I could include?
Reply 3
Original post by Samihab
Hi, thanks for your reply it's really helped me! What do you mean by it's not the only instrument in human rights law? Also I'm really stuggling with my personal statement! I have no idea what to put in it! My mentor said it was **** and that there was no passion in it 😒 so now I've said about how I'm passionate about human rights law, do you have any ideas on what else I could include?

There is a sub-forum on TSR specifically geared towards helping and advising about personal statements. I would suggest you post there and get some advice from people who can help you in that respect.

One thing I would certainly do is drop that term "passionate". What does that mean? How are you "passionate" about human rights law? Don't tell me you're "passionate" - tell me what you think human rights law is, where it comes from, why it matters, what effect it has had, why it should be defended,why you care about it etc. etc.

In relation to human rights law itself - suggest you spend a little time reading through this site:

http://rightsinfo.org/

The "Explainer" section will run you through some of the other human rights instruments apart from the ECHR. Don't say you're "passionate" about human rights law and then know nothing about the UDHR or the EU Charter (of rights), or the numerous UN HR treaties - don't need to know them in detail or they work legally or politically - just know they exist.
Reply 4
Original post by cliffg
There is a sub-forum on TSR specifically geared towards helping and advising about personal statements. I would suggest you post there and get some advice from people who can help you in that respect.

One thing I would certainly do is drop that term "passionate". What does that mean? How are you "passionate" about human rights law? Don't tell me you're "passionate" - tell me what you think human rights law is, where it comes from, why it matters, what effect it has had, why it should be defended,why you care about it etc. etc.

In relation to human rights law itself - suggest you spend a little time reading through this site:

http://rightsinfo.org/

The "Explainer" section will run you through some of the other human rights instruments apart from the ECHR. Don't say you're "passionate" about human rights law and then know nothing about the UDHR or the EU Charter (of rights), or the numerous UN HR treaties - don't need to know them in detail or they work legally or politically - just know they exist.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me! I honestly can't put into words how helpful this has been for me!

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending