The Student Room Group

BBC uni's for psychology

Hi, I'm going to be applying to university quite soon and I have my 4 choices, but I'm struggling for a 5th one which I want as my backup (i.e. grade requirements are BBC/BCC)
I found university of Bedfordshire which looks good however it's ranked right at the bottom of the league tables and I'm not sure why?
Does anyone have any universities I can apply to, preferably in London?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Herdfordshire?maybe
Reply 2
Original post by tamil fever
Herdfordshire?maybe

I should've mentioned, I've looked at Hertfordshire too but not too keen on going there. Thanks though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arr18
I should've mentioned, I've looked at Hertfordshire too but not too keen on going there. Thanks though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

np:smile:
why?I've heard it's really good....
1)St Mary's
2)Birbeck(really good uni for psychology)
3) London South Bank University
4)Goldsmiths(really good uni for psychology)
5)Kingston University
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
1)St Mary's
2)Birbeck(really good uni for psychology)
3) London South Bank University
4)Goldsmiths(really good uni for psychology)
5)Kingston University

Thank youu, out of those I think in going to look at Kingston for my 5th due to the entry requirements of the other ones you listed.
Do you think uni rankings are a really important factor?
Do you know how good Middlesex and Bedfordshire are as universities overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arr18
Thank youu, out of those I think in going to look at Kingston for my 5th due to the entry requirements of the other ones you listed.
Do you think uni rankings are a really important factor?
Do you know how good Middlesex and Bedfordshire are as universities overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yh uni rankings are important and idk about middlesex uni but i know how good bedfordshire is:smile:
WhatUni has a search that allows you to filter on your likely/predicted grades : https://www.whatuni.com/degree-courses/search?subject=psychology

Don't bother about rankings and league tables etc - its just marketing and employers wont care where you went to Uni, just as long as you have a 2i or a First. If the course is accredited by the BPS and you like the Uni, that is ALL you need to think about.

For a 5th choice, its worth looking at parallel subjects like Counselling or Childhood Studies, or a general degree in 'Social Sciences'. that would allow you to choose mainly psych. units :. https://www.brighton.ac.uk/courses/study/social-science-ba-hons.aspx
Reply 8
Original post by returnmigrant
WhatUni has a search that allows you to filter on your likely/predicted grades : https://www.whatuni.com/degree-courses/search?subject=psychology

Don't bother about rankings and league tables etc - its just marketing and employers wont care where you went to Uni, just as long as you have a 2i or a First. If the course is accredited by the BPS and you like the Uni, that is ALL you need to think about.

For a 5th choice, its worth looking at parallel subjects like Counselling or Childhood Studies, or a general degree in 'Social Sciences'. that would allow you to choose mainly psych. units :. https://www.brighton.ac.uk/courses/study/social-science-ba-hons.aspx

Really? But with employment in the future, will employers not most likely give a job to someone who went to a uni like Kings/UCL compared to one that is in the bottom 20? But yeah I do agree me liking the university is the most important.
Thank you, and I will look into that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
yh uni rankings are important and idk about middlesex uni but i know how good bedfordshire is:smile:

Okay thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arr18
Really? But with employment in the future, will employers not most likely give a job to someone who went to a uni like Kings/UCL compared to one that is in the bottom 20?

Mainstream employers do not keep back copies of University Rankings pinned to their HR noticeboards, and they do not say things like 'He graduated from XYZ Uni in 2007? Wasn't that the year that their ranking for 'Blah blah course' went through the floor? What a shame he didnt graduated the year before then we would have interviewed him'. And they certainly dont 'give a job' to someone purely on the basis of going to any particular Uni. This is a common myth amongst school leavers - and, aside from certain up-themselves law and merchant banking firms where class snobbery still rules - total bunkum.

They look at CVs. They look to see you have a 2i or First and did interesting things at Uni beyond just your course. They look for relevant work/volunteer experience, and a sense of you being an energetic, interesting person. And once you have the first couple of jobs on your CV, they wont focus on your degree at all. Increasing even the big employers are realising that using 'University name' as a filter doesnt get them the people they actually want - hence the rise in 'Uni blind' recruitment policies by big city firms (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34384668)

Go to a Uni where you feel comfortable, and where there is a course that appeals to you. Work hard, do lots of things outside the classroom, and enjoy yourself. Then, armed with a 2i or First, a CV stuffed full of interesting stuff and a keen desire to achieve, you will be in the best position possible to get a job. Remember, degrees don't get jobs - people do.
Reply 11
Mainstream employers do not keep back copies of University Rankings pinned to their HR noticeboards, and they do not say things like 'He graduated from XYZ Uni in 2007? Wasn't that the year that their ranking for 'Blah blah course' went through the floor? What a shame he didnt graduated the year before then we would have interviewed him'. And they certainly dont 'give a job' to someone purely on the basis of going to any particular Uni. This is a common myth amongst school leavers - and, aside from certain up-themselves law and merchant banking firms where class snobbery still rules - total bunkum.

They look at CVs. They look to see you have a 2i or First and did interesting things at Uni beyond just your course. They look for relevant work/volunteer experience, and a sense of you being an energetic, interesting person. And once you have the first couple of jobs on your CV, they wont focus on your degree at all. Increasing even the big employers are realising that using 'University name' as a filter doesnt get them the people they actually want - hence the rise in 'Uni blind' recruitment policies by big city firms (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34384668)

Go to a Uni where you feel comfortable, and where there is a course that appeals to you. Work hard, do lots of things outside the classroom, and enjoy yourself. Then, armed with a 2i or First, a CV stuffed full of interesting stuff and a keen desire to achieve, you will be in the best position possible to get a job. Remember, degrees don't get jobs - people do.

That's true, I won't let rankings stop me from applying to places I want to consider. Thank you so much for the advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

So it makes no difference if you go to a top RG Uni?
Original post by 999tigger
So it makes no difference if you go to a top RG Uni?

I would disagree with the other poster here.

I think the main reason to go to a top uni is the first class teaching and resources. Secondly, I would say employers do look at where you studied, as suggested not scrupulously looking through rankings but a top RG compared to a clearing place is a lot different. But I think the most important thing is your degree class.
Original post by Noodlzzz

I think the main reason to go to a top uni is the first class teaching and resources. Secondly, I would say employers do look at where you studied, as suggested not scrupulously looking through rankings but a top RG compared to a clearing place is a lot different. But I think the most important thing is your degree class.

What didnt you get about the ? You mean you are disagreeing with me or returningmigrant?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Noodlzzz

Hmm yeah that's true

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=Noodlzzz;67866050
a top RG compared to a clearing place.

Most RG Unis were in Clearing in August. Clearing has never, ever, been the preserve of 'lower Unis' nor is Clearing regarded as a negative indication of an applicant's worth.

Your understanding of the current admissions climate (and possibly current employment realities) seems a bit out of date.
Reply 17
Original post by arr18
Hi, I'm going to be applying to university quite soon and I have my 4 choices, but I'm struggling for a 5th one which I want as my backup (i.e. grade requirements are BBC/BCC)
I found university of Bedfordshire which looks good however it's ranked right at the bottom of the league tables and I'm not sure why?
Does anyone have any universities I can apply to, preferably in London?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know its not in london but Bradford is a good uni

Quick Reply

Latest