The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mindlesss
What kinds of jobs would that be? I've been thinking of it, but there don't seem to be too many jobs that would require such a low time commitment, even the part-time ones.

Lots of people work at the hospital doing the food rounds on the wards, which is quite fun apparently. Also tutoring and bank hca work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by middlo
Hi all,

I originally applied to study medicine during my AS levels in 2007 but received flat out rejections. As a result, my academics slipped and I got ABB (missing A at chemistry by 2 marks out of 600! :frown:).

Feeling completely dejected, I accepted an offer to study engineering. Throught my undergraduate degree I just couldn't get enthusiastic about my course (living with 3 medics probably wasn't the best idea) so I ended up graduating with a 2.2. However, since then I have gained a MSc with merit.

Now I'm 2 years deep into a top engineering grad scheme on very good pay but still have the feeling deep down every day that this is not where I belong.... so I've decided to ditch the job and actively persue my life long ambition of studying and working in medicine.

I'm currently getting the ball rolling with regards to work experience and making a start at GAMSAT prep.

This will be a tough ride but I'm more determined than ever before. After all, YOLO! :rolleyes:

Best of luck to all other applicants and I hope this forum will let us share the highs and lows of applying to GEM medicine!

Did you get in???
To any grads who were waiting to find out whether they have met their A-level requirements - hope it all went well for you today!
Hi,

I'm in need of some advice. I am currently a second year at Manchester studying Optometry and I've been thinking about graduate entry medicine for a while now. Not that there's anything wrong with my course it's just not what I want to be doing as a career in the long term. I have good GCSE's, however, my A Levels are ABC which don't meet the standard for the 5 year course. Say for arguments sake I did manage to do well on the entry exams would it be worth me applying?
And if so is it better to do a masters in my current field of study or should I apply for GEM as soon as I graduate?
I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me out. Thank you!!
Original post by fatimahe

My A Levels are ABC which don't meet the standard for the 5 year course ... Say for arguments sake I did manage to do well on the entry exams would it be worth me applying?

Nope.

If you don't meet the essential academic entry requirements your application will go straight on the No pile.
Original post by returnmigrant
Nope.

If you don't meet the essential academic entry requirements your application will go straight on the No pile.

is that for GEM as well? because i know there would be no point me applying for the standard 5 year course as my grades don't match the requirements however im confused as to whether my a levels would affect GEM entry since they focus more on your degree??? thank you
is that for GEM as well? because i know there would be no point me applying for the standard 5 year course as my grades don't match the requirements however im confused as to whether my a levels would affect GEM entry since they focus more on your degree??? thank you

All GEM courses will state a minimum A level and GCSE requirement.

If you don't meet this, you will be rejected - regardless of your degree result.
Hi,

I'm in need of some advice. I am currently a second year at Manchester studying Optometry and I've been thinking about graduate entry medicine for a while now. Not that there's anything wrong with my course it's just not what I want to be doing as a career in the long term. I have good GCSE's, however, my A Levels are ABC which don't meet the standard for the 5 year course. Say for arguments sake I did manage to do well on the entry exams would it be worth me applying?
And if so is it better to do a masters in my current field of study or should I apply for GEM as soon as I graduate?
I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me out. Thank you!!

As long as you do well in your degree and achieve good marks in the entry exams, I'm sure you stand a chance. ABC aren't bad either, just depends what subjects you did and what grade you got in each. People with worse grades have gotten in. So don't lose hope but be realistic as well and make sure you do thorough research and visit open days where you'll have the opportunity to speak to admissions teams.

All the best!
Original post by NafNaf39
As long as you do well in your degree and achieve good marks in the entry exams, I'm sure you stand a chance. ABC aren't bad either, just depends what subjects you did and what grade you got in each. People with worse grades have gotten in!

This is not sensible advice. Why do you think Universities set admissions requirements? For fun? And especially for something as competitive as GEM. If they state 'must have A levels AAB' THAT is what they mean, not 'never mind if you dont meet this, we just put this here for a laugh.'
This is not sensible advice. Why do you think Universities set admissions requirements? For fun? And especially for something as competitive as GEM. If they state 'must have A levels AAB' THAT is what they mean, not 'never mind if you dont meet this, we just put this here for a laugh.'

Not all the universities set the same entry requirements. I obviously know entry requirements are not meant for a laugh...jeez
Original post by NafNaf39
Not all the universities set the same entry requirements. I obviously know entry requirements are not meant for a laugh...jeez

"As long as you do well in your degree and achieve good marks in the entry exams, I'm sure you stand a chance." suggests 'apply regardless of the entry requirements'. Whether you meant this or not, please be careful how you word your responses.
"As long as you do well in your degree and achieve good marks in the entry exams, I'm sure you stand a chance." suggests 'apply regardless of the entry requirements'. Whether you meant this or not, please be careful how you word your responses.

Thats a very subjective statement you've made.

And can you definitely say ABC will rule out her chances.

There's no need to be so pessimistic and discouraging. Not saying don't be realistic but the poster does stand a chance and just because you read my post with a subjective eye, doesn't make it incorrect.

Thank you.
All GEM courses will state a minimum A level and GCSE requirement.

If you don't meet this, you will be rejected - regardless of your degree result.

Warwick Medical School
'We do not consider your A-level or GCSE examination results.'

Newcastle Medical School
'A Level and GCSE results for graduate applicants will have no direct bearing on the decision to interview or offer a place.'
(edited 7 years ago)
Question...

I want to apply for graduate medicine entry 2018 when do I need to apply for ucas and take the gamsat exam?

Please just provide the month I need to do both
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Remedy758
Question...

I want to apply for graduate medicine entry 2018 when do I need to apply for ucas and take the gamsat exam?

Please just provide the month I need to do both

UCAS deadline is usually 15th October.

GAMSAT takes place in March (Ireland and London) and September (other UK sites). Registration normally closes 6 weeks before the exam date.

Exeter and Plymouth do not look at your A levels at all if you are applying to their 5 year course as a grad. The only prerequisite is a good GAMSAT score for interview. Raising the money is a bit of a struggle though.

I got into Exeter last year. AABBCC in my Scottish Highers, spread over 2 sittings, never taken Chemistry, Didn't take physics at Higher, and got a C in Human Bio. And failed Higher maths TWICE.

2:2 in my psychology degree and 61 in GAMSAT. (but have a 2:1 in my nursing degree, extra post-qualification modules and years of experience which I think is the main reason I have got in).

I am not the post child for how to get into med school. I am the poster child for determination and luck. I am not struggling with the course work at all and got the highest score in the year in our first progress test. So It is possible to get in and do well with non-standard academics.
Hey guys I will be redoing the GAMSAT as I did not do well at all, Would really appreciate it if anyone can pass on any materials they are no longer using, Would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
Hey guys, I'm selling Biology, Chemistry and Physics books,
I have Letts full revision ones, plus Advanced Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
I also have old UKCAT materials that I want to sell, they are from the old UCKAT format but still are good source of practice questions, I have about 6 of them. If you're interested pm me.
Original post by Mandarina7771
Hey guys, I'm selling Biology, Chemistry and Physics books,
I have Letts full revision ones, plus Advanced Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
I also have old UKCAT materials that I want to sell, they are from the old UCKAT format but still are good source of practice questions, I have about 6 of them. If you're interested pm me.

You might want to try 2018 applicants!
There's no interview for edinburg right?

Quick Reply