The Student Room Group

Economics Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChrisP97
No university (that I'm aware of) requires economics, so don't worry about that. Most uni's offer two different micro/macro courses in the first year - one for those who did A Level econ, and one for those who didn't. Uni's will only discriminate against a student who didn't do economics at A Level if is was an option to them, as this would suggest a lack of enthusiasm for the subject.

In terms of what jobs an economics degree can lead to, you're better off googling it as there are so many different sectors you can enter. However, if you're interested in accountancy, but not really interested in economic theory, I'd advise you not to do an economics degree, as you'll end up disliking the pure economic modules. Do A&F instead and pick the more mathematically heavy modules they offer, as you'll actually gain skills that will be directly relevant to your future employment.

Thanks for responding! Is there any material where I can read upon the economic modules to see how they are? I am reading the Undercover Economist at the moment to get an insight and Im thoroughly enjoying it but doubt that it has any strong correlation to what I'd learn at Uni.
Original post by Ze Witcher
Thanks for responding! Is there any material where I can read upon the economic modules to see how they are? I am reading the Undercover Economist at the moment to get an insight and Im thoroughly enjoying it but doubt that it has any strong correlation to what I'd learn at Uni.

The Undercover Economist is more of a small taster than anything; it doesn't really introduce you to any economic theory. That said, if you enjoy what you're reading, you are likely to enjoy studying economics for real. At least, that's what happened with me.
Original post by Tols
Oxford generally go for around 6A*s but don't let that deter you. The other two id say your grades wouldn't hinder you at all
Oxford don't care about your GCSE's (beyond the obvious 'the better your grades, the better you look as an applicant'), they have their own admissions tests and interviews which are far, far more important.
Original post by Ze Witcher

Sorry, I haven't read the Undercover Economist. In regards to reading up on economic modules, here's a list of warwick's. They usually have a reading list at the bottom (worth using those books to talk about in PS rather than common books like undercover econ.):
https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/current/ug/modules/

Considering that you're not studying A Level economics, it may be worth your while buying a cheap undergrad pure econ textbook to get a feel for what you'd be learning. Don't bother spending lots on it as you'll end up having to buy a new one if you do economics at uni; the one below is the one I have, only 1p used! It doesn't assume any previous knowledge of economics.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Economics-David-K-H-Begg/dp/0077072456/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1472139890&sr=8-10&keywords=begg+fischer+dornbusch+economics
Sorry, I haven't read the Undercover Economist. In regards to reading up on economic modules, here's a list of warwick's. They usually have a reading list at the bottom (worth using those books to talk about in PS rather than common books like undercover econ.):
https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/current/ug/modules/

Considering that you're not studying A Level economics, it may be worth your while buying a cheap undergrad pure econ textbook to get a feel for what you'd be learning. Don't bother spending lots on it as you'll end up having to buy a new one if you do economics at uni; the one below is the one I have, only 1p used! It doesn't assume any previous knowledge of economics.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Economics-David-K-H-Begg/dp/0077072456/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1472139890&sr=8-10&keywords=begg+fischer+dornbusch+economics

Thank you for the huge list! I have a fair bit of reading to do
Reply 45
@JRKinder
Hey I see your taking a gap year! Are you using the same personal statement as last year and how much are you adding for gap year plans ect.
AS results: A (Math), A (Economics), B (Business Studies)
Prospective Universities: UCL/Bath, Exeter, Loughborough, Surrey, and Kent.
Original post by AM66
@JRKinder
Hey I see your taking a gap year! Are you using the same personal statement as last year and how much are you adding for gap year plans ect.
No I've completely rewritten my personal statement since I think it's primarily the reason why I didn't get the offers I wanted last year and have more things to add anyway. I've just written in my gap year plans to the various relevant sections of my PS, so work plans in the work experience bit, extra maths in the maths section etc (but I identified I was doing a gap year a bit earlier on so it makes sense).
Hi guys so i sent off my application today does it matter only having one insurance choice of Newcastle at AAB in the 5 options with the other 4 AAA or above, My targets for A2 are AAA after achieving AAA in the subjects im carrying on at AS, surely Newcastle wil give me an offer so i dont need to worry about adding another potential insurance
GCSEs: 6A*, 4A, 1C
AS levels: AAAA (Maths, Economics, Geography, History - which I've now dropped)
Predicted A2: should be 3A* I think
Course: Economics
Universities: Warwick, Nottingham, York, Leeds, Manchester

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone, I went through the 2016 economics application process, so feel free to ask me any questions. I ultimately applied to LSE, Warwick, Birmingham, UCL, & Nottingham. I received offers from the latter 2 (withdrew application from Birmingham).

Hi, mind if I ask whether Nottingham gave you an offer of A*AA or AAA please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I already had A* in maths so offer was AA

Ah okay, cheers :smile:
Original post by Supplynddemand99
AS Results: AAAA (Chemistry, Physics, Maths and economics)
unis: Warwick, UCL, Bath (don't know about the other 2)
Btw, should I drop an A2 Subject (either chem or physics) and do further maths as, and should I do an EPQ?
Thanks in Advance

You could do AEA maths
GCSEs: 6A*, 4A, 1B and distinction in additional maths
As levels: Economics-A, Maths-A & Physics- B (95% average for Maths & 93% average for Econ)
Predicted A levels: Economics- A*, Maths- A* & Further Maths- A & A/A*EPQ
Universities: Warwick, Oxford, Bath, Exeter & Bristol
Original post by Ferrari fan
GCSEs: 6A*, 4A, 1B and distinction in additional maths
As levels: Economics-A, Maths-A & Physics- B (95% average for Maths & 93% average for Econ)
Predicted A levels: Economics- A*, Maths- A* & Further Maths- A & A/A*EPQ
Universities: Warwick, Oxford, Bath, Exeter & Bristol

Solid results, which college within Oxford are you going for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ElGenioEstúpido
Solid results, which college within Oxford are you going for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! At the moment I am thinking Exeter college.
Thanks! At the moment I am thinking Exeter college.

Ah nice, have you been?

Posted from TSR Mobile
GCSE's - 1A* 7A 3B(RS,German,IT) 1C(geog)
AS-AAAC (maths chemistry psychology physics respectively)
A2 prediction- A*AA- A* in maths
Hoping to apply to UCL, UCL(with a year abroad), Warwick, St Andrews, Manchester
Extra curriculars-
raised over £900 for charity
Play football weekly and go to the gym 5 times a week
Read the undercover economist and freakonomics- need to read some more books any suggestions?
Play chess - hoping to link that to game theory
Volunteered for 2 months helping disabled children
Attended an economics taster day
Also anymore relevant EC's you'd recommend?

Be brutally honest do I have a chance at UCL/Warwick?
I've also decided if I don't get into UCL/Warwick I'm going to reapply next year
Also any tips for making my Personal Statement stand out?
Sorry for the long post 😬

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ElGenioEstúpido
Ah nice, have you been?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately not, I was originally going to apply to Cambridge and went to the open day there. However my As physics result was lower than I thought it would be, so I have decided that Oxford is a better choice. I have looked at information regarding colleges in Oxford, and just feel Exeter college will be a friendly environment .
Unfortunately not, I was originally going to apply to Cambridge and went to the open day there. However my As physics result was lower than I thought it would be, so I have decided that Oxford is a better choice. I have looked at information regarding colleges in Oxford, and just feel Exeter college will be a friendly environment .

Ah, unfortunate. Exeter looks really good, personally I'll be applying to St Hugh's, I just love the feel of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending