The Student Room Group

Sociology BSc or BA?

ok basically atm i'm just looking to apply to unis offering Sociology BSc, but was wondering if there is any real difference between BA and BSc? Also, how much will this affect my job prospects?
Original post by trusstmedaddy
ok basically atm i'm just looking to apply to unis offering Sociology BSc, but was wondering if there is any real difference between BA and BSc? Also, how much will this affect my job prospects?

There's no real difference - the degree type is decided by a committee within a university somewhere and isn't consistently applied across universities.

Look instead at course content (and specifically how much stats/quantitative analysis is compulsory or optional) to decide which course is right for you.
Original post by PQ
There's no real difference - the degree type is decided by a committee within a university somewhere and isn't consistently applied across universities.

Look instead at course content (and specifically how much stats/quantitative analysis is compulsory or optional) to decide which course is right for you.

Thank you.
There is no great significance in these different degree titles and certainly one is not considered 'better' than the other. At some Universities you can even decide which title you want on your eventual degree certificate yourself. In theory a BSc is more 'science' based and relies more on social/political theory than a BA which might be more humanities focused. In reality this difference is usually very hard to spot. You will also see some degrees called 'Sociology and others called 'Social Science'; again don't get worried about this. What is more important is that you read the description of the courses carefully - including any individual unit descriptions - as not all Sociology courses are them same, or cover the same areas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending