The Student Room Group

Students stage a walkout in protest over consent classes

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Robby2312
Ok obviously he has to ensure she is consenting.But I was saying it doesnt have to be verbal.If she strips naked in front of him and gives him a suggestive look then it is a pretty reasonable belief that she wants to have sex.I think you could argue there that consent was given.
Absolutely not! It is only reasonable to believe that she wants to strip naked and give you a suggestive look. Anything else is merely assumption and conjection.
Obviously, in many cases she may well want to have sex, especially if you are already in a sexually active relationship with that person. However, that is not always the case and should not be assumed.

Our intelligence remains largely the same.
Arguable, but our attitudes to sex, morality and consent most certainly do not!
Original post by MildredMalone
Yup, they ignore real issues like that and focus on fictional ones, like "one in five women at university will be raped."

What is your source for this stat?
Consent classes are beyond stupid and are extremely patronising, I would be happy to protest it

Sure having a pshce lesson that touches on it along with other crimes or having a assembly but teaching men not to rape is just stupid.

I know rape is wrong and so does nearly everyone. But most people that steal things or murder know it is wrong. You dont say to somone why did you steal that drink from the shop and they go oh sorry I didnt know you had to pay for things. nearly everyone knows not to steal. But saying to everyone DONT STEAL will hardly deter anyone nor with saying DONT RAPE.
Reply 63
Rape on campuses are a myth staged by feminists and SJWs. The truth is they occur rarely. Why do they not protests about the condition of woman in the countries of the Middle East?
Reply 64
Original post by 999tigger

It comes from there: http://time.com/3633903/campus-rape-1-in-5-sexual-assault-setting-record-straight/

But as they say themselves: "another limitation of our study—inherent to web-based surveys—is that the response rate was relatively low (42%)."

1. It was a study based on voluntary answers...

2. The questions started by "since you began college", not "On the university campus". A girl raped in a forest would answer yes to their questions, and it would be added to the stat of "sexual assaults on campus".
Reply 65
Original post by slaven
Rape on campuses are a myth staged by feminists and SJWs. The truth is they occur rarely. Why do they not protests about the condition of woman in the countries of the Middle East?

Or in the suburbs, but that would lead them to non politically correct territories...
Reply 66
Original post by WBZ144
Would you say that fire safety workshops are patronising too? People learn about that at school from an early age, yet have no problem attending these workshops at university.

It depends. If the workshop is just to explain the building's procedures in the event of a fire (pointing out the fire escapes, alarms, fire points etc), then that's entirely sensible.

If it is some lecture about not playing with matches and common sense things everybody would have learned as a five year old, then yes, it's pointless and patronising.
Reply 67
Original post by Josb
Or in the suburbs, but that would lead them to non politically correct territories...

Well, some could point that it is ironicall that liberal arts college campuses are the main sources of rape.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by slaven
You mean in white suburbs?

No, more in the likes of Rotherham.
Reply 69
Original post by Josb
No, more in the likes of Rotherham.

Oh, yes. The supposed rape epidemic on campuses are only for attention seeking clowns.
Good on them
Reply 71
Original post by Josb
It comes from there: http://time.com/3633903/campus-rape-1-in-5-sexual-assault-setting-record-straight/

But as they say themselves: "another limitation of our study—inherent to web-based surveys—is that the response rate was relatively low (42%)."

1. It was a study based on voluntary answers...

2. The questions started by "since you began college", not "On the university campus". A girl raped in a forest would answer yes to their questions, and it would be added to the stat of "sexual assaults on campus".

Even the authors of the poll said many times to stop using it as a fact because the poll was not reliable. Feminists keep ignoring them and still continue with the "one-in-five" crap.
Original post by WBZ144
True, I wonder why they're so against it. We were taught fire safety during Fresher's year and it was all common sense, nothing that I hadn't already been taught a gazillion times. I didn't mind.

Because the suggestion that someone attends a sexual consent class is offensive, whereas this is not the case for a fire safety talk.

Furthermore, rape is rarely an issue of someone failing to understand what constitutes "consent", because this is obvious. It's more a case of someone knowing perfectly well that consent has not been given, but their desire to have sex with that person gets the better of them. Particularly in a university setting, being under the influence of alcohol doesn't help.

I think the main solutions to reducing rape are:
- Encouraging more people to actually report rape when it happens to them
- Educating people so as to clear up any misconceptions about the scenarios in which rape is most likely to occur
- Increasing the severity of punishment where rape can be proven.

Simply telling people what rape is and that they shouldn't do it isn't going to stop anyone.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's interesting that the majority of people seem to believe that rapists rape people by accident out of ignorance of what consent is. I know that rapists must be at least somewhat dumb, but come on now.

It's not a stat I use, I was pointing out its existence to show how ridiculous some people's mindsets are, of course it isn't 1 in bloody 5.
Original post by Josb

Original post by slaven

This is my other point; certain people cannot discuss any issue without resorting to whataboutery for the sake of pushing their own agendas. "It's a myth", said the people who haven't been subjected to it and most likely won't have to. I knew very few women who haven't been at least groped, and campuses are no different to other settings. Do you really think a campus where signs saying "no means yes, yes means anal" were put up are going to be void of sexual assault?
Yes and as you make the point yourself when the compilsory talk has ended, then they have a choice as to whether to stay for the talk or not. They could simply have left.

Do you know the content of the talk?
Do you think its impossible to talk about things like sexual harassment, what to do if you feel in trouble. who to contact, how to use their place of safety scheme in a non patronising way?

Pray tell how a CONSENT talk has to be any more than what it was all previous years where it was informally a case of the college staff basically saying "you know this ****, no means no, don't rape people" at the end of the fire safety talk
Reply 77
Original post by WBZ144
This is my other point; certain people cannot discuss any issue without resorting to whataboutery for the sake of pushing their own agendas. "It's a myth", said the people who haven't been subjected to it and most likely won't have to. I knew very few women who haven't been at least groped, and campuses are no different to other settings. Do you really think a campus where signs saying "no means yes, yes means anal" were put up are going to be void of sexual assault?

With all due respect, it is not about whataboutery it is about the fact that the people who claim a rape epidemic on college campuses never gave any evidence on the existation of such things. There are even police statistics that in fact disproves it. As such this it is very hard to take is seriously.

There is also another issue. And that is that the young teen girls in Rotherham have a larger priority over college girls, who are usually adults and socially secured.

If your friends really think they are groped than it is a case for the police. Let them just investigate and than we will have some evidence.
Original post by slaven
With all due respect, it is not about whataboutery it is about the fact that the people who claim a rape epidemic on college campuses never gave any evidence on the existation of such things. There are even police statistics that in fact disproves it. As such this it is very hard to take is seriously.

There is also another issue. And that is that the young teen girls in Rotherham have a larger priority over college girls, who are usually adults and socially secured.

If your friends really think they are groped than it is a case for the police. Let them just investigate and than we will have some evidence.

Do you have police stats that show the percentage of university students who commit rape and sexual assault compared to non-students? I didn't call it an epidemic but you claimed that it "rarely happens".
Original post by MildredMalone
It's not a stat I use, I was pointing out its existence to show how ridiculous some people's mindsets are, of course it isn't 1 in bloody 5.

If you are going to identify it then surely you can source where you got it from ?
I have never heard of anyone using it. If you cnat, then your argument that such people exist using sych a stat would seem highly questionable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending