The Student Room Group

Which Med School should I apply to?

GCSE: 8A*, 1A, (and 1 Distiction*)
AS: AAAA
Predicted A2: A*AAa
UKCAT: 698 average, Band 1
I also have volunteer work/ work experience

I'm currently looking through the list of UK med schools. Any suggestions of which ones you think i may have an advantage in would be useful.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rhaq

I'm currently looking through the list of UK med schools. Any suggestions of which ones you think i may have an advantage in would be useful.

You are highly likely to be competative for interview at Cardiff, KCL, Birmingham, Leicester, HYMS, QUB, Sheffield, Aberdeen, UEA off the top of my head. you would have a great shot at all of those above.

You have great grades and a fab UKCAT so its best to focus on that and avoid schools which look at the personal statement as it is way more subjective.
Reply 2
Original post by Natalierm2707
You are highly likely to be competative for interview at Cardiff, KCL, Birmingham, Leicester, HYMS, QUB, Sheffield, Aberdeen, UEA off the top of my head. you would have a great shot at all of those above.

You have great grades and a fab UKCAT so its best to focus on that and avoid schools which look at the personal statement as it is way more subjective.

Thank you! I had a look at Leicester and worked out my point score to be 44.5/ 48.
I have been looking on the website for previous point score cut offs or indicators of this years predicted cut off etc. and can't find anything. Does anyone know where i could find this information?
Original post by Rhaq
Thank you! I had a look at Leicester and worked out my point score to be 44.5/ 48.
I have been looking on the website for previous point score cut offs or indicators of this years predicted cut off etc. and can't find anything. Does anyone know where i could find this information?

You wont be able to as they have changed the cut off system, 44.5/48 is very high though so you should be fine.

Hiya,

I had GCSE equivalents in my own country which work differently but here are the rest of my grades:

predicted A2: 4 A*s
UKCAT: 753 average, band 2
(Gonna take the BMAT too and I prefer that exam to the UKCAT tbh)
Work experience, extra reading, self-initiated research project (not EPQ bc EPQ doesn't involve actual lab research) sitting in medical school lectures, grade 7 violin, MUN, school prefect, bla bla bla the usual generic stuff

Thinking of Edinburgh and KCL, which other unis can I also consider? Thanks! X
Reply 5
Is there anyone here who has been accepted into medicine with extenuating circumstances?
Original post by rosemondtan
Hiya,

I had GCSE equivalents in my own country which work differently but here are the rest of my grades:

predicted A2: 4 A*s
UKCAT: 753 average, band 2
(Gonna take the BMAT too and I prefer that exam to the UKCAT tbh)
Work experience, extra reading, self-initiated research project (not EPQ bc EPQ doesn't involve actual lab research) sitting in medical school lectures, grade 7 violin, MUN, school prefect, bla bla bla the usual generic stuff

Thinking of Edinburgh and KCL, which other unis can I also consider? Thanks! X

the first two sound good, although have you considering barts? i feel your stats would work better at barts unless your gcse equivalents are all a*S.

I would now say have a look at:
- exeter
- southampton
- Manchester
- newcastle
- sheffield
- For the BMAT try UCL, Leeds, but honestly you really dont need to sit the BMAT your stats alone can get you 4 interviews, I honestly if you are insistent on the BMAT go for 1 bmat school, 1 risky UKCAT school (edinburgh easily) and then 2 safe UKCAT schools for you such as exeter, southampton, newcastle, sheffield,
Original post by Rhaq

Manchester would be a good one to go for too, your ukcat is very likely to be above the cut off (which was 665 last year) :smile:

Just to give you a taster of why you should apply for UEA here are some key stats - we're a Top 15 university (Times/Sunday Times University Guide 2017), Top 5 for student satisfaction (National Student Survey 2016) and within the World Top 100 for research excellence (Leiden Ranking 2016).

According to Unistats, 96% of our students have been satisfied with the quality of the medicine course, 100% went on to work and/or study within 6 months after finishing the course, 97% believe staff have made the subject more interesting, and 96% believe the resources here at UEA are good for student needs. Some glowing stats I'm sure you'd agree :smile:

[video="youtube;wiV5lwhLtqU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiV5lwhLtqU[/video]

We also have some very good stats on cost of living in Norwich, and the price of accommodation compared to many cities in the UK :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending