The Student Room Group

Medicine 6 year course vs 5 year

Hi guys i would just like to thank you in advance,
could someone give me information on the 6 year medicine course, is it worse? is it look down upon? will they treat me less intelligently in the 6 year course? is 5 year course better?
With the 6 year you gain an intercalated degree, which gives you more points when applying for foundation jobs I believe. Ofc this is an extra year spent studying and not working, but some people enjoy the break from studying medicine.
Original post by halil-yorgandji
Hi guys i would just like to thank you in advance,
could someone give me information on the 6 year medicine course, is it worse? is it look down upon? will they treat me less intelligently in the 6 year course? is 5 year course better?

It depends which 6 year course you go for at which university,

Some 6 year courses are access to medicine courses meant for people who got slighly lower Alevel grades AAB for example and were on an access programme during their time at college.

some 6 year courses are for people who didnt take the right Alevels (for example didnt take chemistry).

the year involves going over Alevel sciences and preparing you for the medical degree.

If you are targeted AAA, not on any access scheme for a foundation place and have chemistry and biology at A2 level then you will need to apply for A100 generally.

Some medicine courses are 6 year A100 because you get an intercalated degree within that course.
(edited 7 years ago)
They are not looked down upon either way no, though as stated, some are 6 years because they're an access course intended for people from disadvantaged backgrounds/with the wrong a-levels, some are 6 years because they include an extra intercalated degree (something that's an option with variable availability in the 5 year courses).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
@usycool1 your course is 6 years, right? Perhaps you could help the OP out? :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending