The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Anyone else in my situation and wanna meet up? all my flatmates are chinese!

Hi guys,

Having just arrived at Warwick I've just been confronted by my worst nightmare. I've been put in a small flat of five, consisting of me and four international students. ALL of them are Chinese girls who seem okay but just keep to themselves and speak their native language. I have tried tried tried all afternoon to make conversation with them but they just keep retreating into their own little clique.

So, whilst trying to get an accommodation transfer, I'm just sitting here like a rock.

Are there any other freshers' at Warwick in this situation? Plus would anyone like to meet up for a chat or go to the bar tonight? At least we could make the best of a bad situation lol...

Im in Redfern by the way!
Reply 1
bump
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
bump
What an idiotic move on part of the university !
Reply 4
Original post by seventhdemon
What an idiotic move on part of the university !

My thoughts exactly. I'm going to complain like a cow giving birth, respectfully of course.

R u a fresher? I know this sounds uber pathetic but I'm trying to find friends lol... because literally everyones walking around with their flatmates and here i am.
Reply 5
Original post by milanalim444
My thoughts exactly. I'm going to complain like a cow giving birth, respectfully of course.

R u a fresher? I know this sounds uber pathetic but I'm trying to find friends lol... because literally everyones walking around with their flatmates and here i am.

are you female?
Original post by milanalim444

No Its my second year in a row that I'm avoiding going to University! Im just not ready yet.

You can try and convince you asian flatmates to go out and make some english speaking friends when you are out ? Tell them about your situation, it will help
Reply 7
Original post by Drex50
are you female?

Nah I'm a male if that's okay...
Reply 8
Original post by seventhdemon
No Its my second year in a row that I'm avoiding going to University! Im just not ready yet.

You can try and convince you asian flatmates to go out and make some english speaking friends when you are out ? Tell them about your situation, it will help

Well they're probably t-total and currently they're sitting in the kitchen eating noodles. Besides, they'll just talk in Cantonese/Mandarin the whole evening and continue to exclude me from convos.
Reply 9
bump
Why would the uni put one guy in with 4 Chinese girls in one flat lol. At least make it even maybe 2 girls 3 guys or vice versa. I also think it's quite rude of them excluding you from conversations and only speaking mandarin around the flat, I would be very para as they could be talking about you lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I lived with Chinese students for both 2nd and 3rd year. They were actually really friendly once I started trying to talk to them. As the terms progressed they taught me some Mandarin and some incredibly tasty recipes. And I showed them some cooking from my heritage. I still talk to them on facebook all these years later.

I'd advise cornering one in the kitchen and just be friendly to them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Hey I just got to Warwick today. But bored tbh. Wanna PM me?
Original post by ed98

I replied to your pm.
Original post by ed98

Hey the fb link you sent me didn't work, i pm'd you mine, add me.
Had one guy who said he'd like to meet up but stopped replying before sending me his fb. So anyone else out there?!?!!?

Quick Reply

Latest