The Student Room Group

Does anyone else only use their dad for money?

I'm in sixth form/ still living with my parents.

I sat down and thought about it and I realised that I only really "use" my dad materialistically.

In fact it's gotten so bad I don't even like it when he now tries to form some kind of relationship, I'm used to not spending time with him or just being hurt by **** he says. I just go to him when I need stuff or money.

I pretty much buy whatever I want with his money, granted I don't ask for *that* much. As soon as I start earning, I'll probably become alot more distant.

I feel like I should feel bad about this:
Anyone else only see their parents as a money machine?

Scroll to see replies

No because some people are grateful to their parents for everything they've done for them.
Reply 2
No.

Depends on how much "money" you ask for. My parents help me out here and there, as much as they can. I certainly don't think I just use them for money though.

If you expect your parents to buy materialistic and designer things then, yes.
(edited 7 years ago)
No lol, wtf is wrong with you?
Reply 4
Original post by Ishax
No.

Depends on how much "money" you ask for. My parents help me out here and there, as much as they can. I certainly don't think I just use them for money though.

If you expect your parents to buy materialistic and designer things then, yes.

What else do you use them for then?

I don't "expect" anything, they just do...
Reply 5
You sound like a wonderful person. Maybe your children will do that to you one day.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
What else do you use them for then?

I don't "expect" anything, they just do...

You're not supposed to use your parents.
If I knew where the **** was pshh yea I would
Reply 8
Original post by UWS
You sound like a wonderful person. Maybe your children will do that to you one day.

not really into having multiple of the specimen
nice comment btw, I don't mind if they would since I don't really see what else parents are there for other than providing?
Reply 9
Original post by Ishax
You're not supposed to use your parents.

what are you supposed to do with them then?
I have such a toxic relationship with my dad. I generally try not to talk to him, unless it comes to money. I am completely dependent on him for it, and I hate it. :sigh:
Parents support you.
You show appreciation through actions, gestures...yada yada.

You don't sound like the nicest of people though :/

I sat down and thought about it and I realised that I only really "use" my dad materialistically.

In fact it's gotten so bad I don't even like it when he now tries to form some kind of relationship, I'm used to not spending time with him or just being hurt by **** he says. I just go to him when I need stuff or money.

I pretty much buy whatever I want with his money, granted I don't ask for *that* much. As soon as I start earning, I'll probably become alot more distant.

Why do you use him only for money?
Is he not a good dad except for that?
No parental bonding? You hint at the fact he's let you down?
Original post by MyunrequitedLove
Parents support you.

Original post by 999tigger
Why do you use him only for money?
Is he not a good dad except for that?
No parental bonding? You hint at the fact he's let you down?

well I wouldn't say he's a "bad" dad but I don't really know what makes a good one? All he does is give me money so I don't really expect anything else.

Yeah no bonding not that I'd want to spend time with him nowadays anyway, and he has no emotional understanding, he's also really unsupportive verbally he just expects us to do well I've never heard him say anything positive to me - only ever put me down if I **** up. I think he means well though.

Original post by MyunrequitedLove
Parents support you.

what actions can I show appreciation through?
Sounds like he just throws money at you to make up for or as his idea of parenting.
Do well in your exams for yourself. Too late to have drama questioning your relationship with your dad.
Get on well with your mum?

You might sort it out later in life.

No because it's disrespectful to treat your parents like that, if I want something I will work and save up to get it myself.
PRSOM
Original post by FireFreezer77
PRSOM

PRSOM
I am kind of the same, but mine only visits me once a week...

Am I in the wrong?

Maybe you should be grateful for who your dad is and not what he gives you. Oh, and by the way maybe you should learn how to spell realized.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending