The Student Room Group

Nottingham Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Eggymully
I have been very interested in applying to Nottingham as well and after reading this thread i had temporarily decided not to apply as people were making out we would need at least 39.

I rang up nottingham admissions and they said it has dropped to a mark as low as 34 (equivalent to this years scoring system) before and could drop even lower this year. I am therefore still applying. I suggest you give it a go as it is possible and nottingham is an amazing university

The figure of 39 probably came from one of my previous posts. According to people posting on last year's thread who failed to get to 2nd sift the Med School sent out letters saying the cut off was 46 - this figure is also quoted in the first post on this thread by somebody else. There is one less component marked in this year's ukcat and I suggested that if you assumed the lowest candidates accepted for the PS sift had scored in the average range 601-700, then the cut off based on last year would be 39. I accept that if the lowest candidate had scored a maximum 900 in the ukcat component which has been dropped then this year's equivalent to last year would be 37. So there is still some hope on those lower scores but it's risky. I'm not sure when Nottingham had a cut off of 34 but it wasn't last year. Perhaps they're quoting an old figure because they're worried about losing good applicants.

Bottom line is that you all need to apply where you have your best chance. If you don't have an ideal score then you keep your fingers crossed that the pattern has changed this year.
I have 2 A*, 6 A at gcse and an average of 683 UKCAT with band 1; scoring 35 out of the 46. Do I stand a chance? My GCSEs bring the score down obviously :/
Original post by Harpal10
I have 2 A*, 6 A at gcse and an average of 683 UKCAT with band 1; scoring 35 out of the 46. Do I stand a chance? My GCSEs bring the score down obviously :/

You do stand a chance as the threshold has been lower than 35 previous years. If you really like the uni give it a shot and apply to 2 safe ones!
Reply 63
Hey guys. I'm applying to Nottingham Southampton and UCL and am really stuck for the fourth choice? I got 8A* and 2A at GCSE (though one A in English language) I got VR-630
QR-770
AR-720
Band 1 SJT
Any advice for fourth choice unis that are similar in feel to the above and also have a good chance of getting into? Btw I prefer lectures to PBL but don't mind PBL supported by lectures
Original post by zoemccarthy34
Hey guys. I'm applying to Nottingham Southampton and UCL and am really stuck for the fourth choice? I got 8A* and 2A at GCSE (though one A in English language) I got VR-630
QR-770
AR-720
Band 1 SJT
Any advice for fourth choice unis that are similar in feel to the above and also have a good chance of getting into? Btw I prefer lectures to PBL but don't mind PBL supported by lectures

Your stats and UKCAT are both really strong so you stand a strong chance anywhere tbh! You could look at HYMS, Birmingham (if you have an A* predication at A-Level, Sheffield or Newcastle- however these 2 are both really UKCAT heavy and I know you're already applying to Southampton which is UKCAT heavy also, so if you wanted a "safer" 4th option I would look at HYMS, Birmingham or maybe Leicester?
Hello! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm really delighted with how in the UKCAT I did given my low expectations. Thinking my application will be Glasgow, Nottingham, QUB ( I live in Belfast, but would really like to go away for university, and while QUB is great I hope this isn't my only offer), and possibly Birmingham. What do you think of medicine as a course and what's it like to study it at Nottingham? What is the course like in Nottingham? Is it an expensive city to live in? Do you get campus/university accommodation in first year? Do you have much free time?
My full stats are currently:
AS Levels: AAAA (bio,chem,politics, English)
Predicted A2: A*A*A (though to be honest I personally expect 1 A*)
GCSE's: 9A*s, A, B
UKCAT: 703.33 avg band 2 TOTAL: 2110
Work Exp: Volunteering in an A+E dept. currently, have shadowed an Upper GI Surgeon for one day, GP surgery and Children's Hospice days.

I would be delighted and grateful for any advice as I'm sure you're all extremely busy!! Thank you so much!
Original post by elish2chambers
Your stats and UKCAT are both really strong so you stand a strong chance anywhere tbh! You could look at HYMS, Birmingham (if you have an A* predication at A-Level, Sheffield or Newcastle- however these 2 are both really UKCAT heavy and I know you're already applying to Southampton which is UKCAT heavy also, so if you wanted a "safer" 4th option I would look at HYMS, Birmingham or maybe Leicester?

Sheffield isn't UKCAT heavy at all.
Original post by Docjones1
Sheffield isn't UKCAT heavy at all.

I believe they are this year. When I attended the open day, they said this year they are planning to rank applicants based on UKCAT and that the minimum threshold is 1850, but that a more realistic threshold for interview would be somewhere in the region of 2000-2100.
Hey guys pretty urgent question as my application is going away this Monday:Which universities interview lots of applicants? I would like an interview and my stats are:Nat 5's/GCSE's = (Very strong)Highers/Year after Gcse's for english applicants = (very strong)Predicted AH/2 years after GCSE's = (hopefully very strong)UKCAT = BAD (unfortunately)Personal Statement= Really confident.I was considering Bristol but they seem to have MANY applicants and don't give that many interviews compared to the number of applicants. Don't really care which university but which one would I be most likely to receive interviews from? I want an interview as I feel this would hopefully be my strong point.
Also, what are my chances of interview with a total of 21 UKCAT points? I have a good personal statement and no idea how to calculate my results as I am a Scottish applicant but have good grades in exams.

Pls be honest. Application being sent in 1 day. NEED URGENT ADVICE
Original post by .......Jeff458
Also, what are my chances of interview with a total of 21 UKCAT points? I have a good personal statement and no idea how to calculate my results as I am a Scottish applicant but have good grades in exams.

Pls be honest. Application being sent in 1 day. NEED URGENT ADVICE

Is that even possible? Do you mean UCAS points?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys pretty urgent question as my application is going away this Monday:Which universities interview lots of applicants? I would like an interview and my stats are:Nat 5's/GCSE's = (Very strong)Highers/Year after Gcse's for english applicants = (very strong)Predicted AH/2 years after GCSE's = (hopefully very strong)UKCAT = BAD (unfortunately)Personal Statement= Really confident.I was considering Bristol but they seem to have MANY applicants and don't give that many interviews compared to the number of applicants. Don't really care which university but which one would I be most likely to receive interviews from? I want an interview as I feel this would hopefully be my strong point.

I got quite muddled while reading that, so hopefully you're question is unis where you stand a good chance that don't focus heavily on the UKCAT.

I'm in a similar position to you and I'm considering unis like Birmingham, Cardiff (very PS heavy), Keele, Liverpool/Leicester. I was also looking at HYMS, UEA and Nottingham but they seem to value UKCAT quite a bit - do your other academic qualifications make up for your UKCAT?
Original post by DamnDaniel2

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think he means his UKCAT score according to Nott's scoring system gives him 21 / (whatever the max).

21 UCAS points is a bit low lmao!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by aRandomGuy
I think he means his UKCAT score according to Nott's scoring system gives him 21 / (whatever the max).

21 UCAS points is a bit low lmao!

Original post by DamnDaniel2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's what I mean. I have 280 UCAS points apparently
I got quite muddled while reading that, so hopefully you're question is unis where you stand a good chance that don't focus heavily on the UKCAT.

I'm in a similar position to you and I'm considering unis like Birmingham, Cardiff (very PS heavy), Keele, Liverpool/Leicester. I was also looking at HYMS, UEA and Nottingham but they seem to value UKCAT quite a bit - do your other academic qualifications make up for your UKCAT?

Yeah but since I am Scottish it is slightly different.

Was looking at Bristol, now UEA will check out Keele/Liverpool/Leicester but avoiding Cardiff as they do seem to give some concern about UKCAT and also Nottingham now. Avoiding Birmingham with a barge pole as they are fairly UKCAT emphasising.

Was looking at Bristol, now UEA will check out Keele/Liverpool/Leicester but avoiding Cardiff as they do seem to give some concern about UKCAT and also Nottingham now. Avoiding Birmingham with a barge pole as they are fairly UKCAT emphasising.

What are Cardiff's weightings for each section? They don't mention anything about being PS heavy?

Do you know the same for HYMS?
What are Cardiff's weightings for each section? They don't mention anything about being PS heavy?

Do you know the same for HYMS?

Only consider Cardiff if you have spectacular GCSEs or equivalent - they mark the top 9 with A* = 3 points and A = 2, and for the last 2 years, the cut-off has been 26/27.

After this, its down to how good your PS is to determine whether you deserve an interview.

HYMS is /15 for SJT, /30 for GCSEs (top 8) and /40 for UKCAT - I'm not applying here because even though I score top marks on GCSEs and SJT, I don't think my UKCAT score will be good enough, scoring max 65/85

Birmingham average your GCSEs out of 7 and your UKCAT out of 3. Use their offer calculator to work out your score. I score 7/7 but only 0.677/3, giving me 7.667 out of 10 - last cycle's cut off was 6.17.
Birmingham average your GCSEs out of 7 and your UKCAT out of 3. Use their offer calculator to work out your score. I score 7/7 but only 0.677/3, giving me 7.667 out of 10 - last cycle's cut off was 6.17.

Ah right thanks. I think I will look at Cardiff because I have the highest possible grades for a Scottish applicant but otherwise will stick to Bristol. Thanks for the heads up :smile:
Does anyone know how likely a pre-ps score of 39/46 would be to get to the ps stage? Also, does anyone know whether Nottingham score points to both further maths and maths at GCSE? Some universities don't and I couldn't find anything on the website.
Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest