The Student Room Group

Hard Mechanics Discussion Thread

Inspired by the hard integral thread !!!
Topics of discussion : Hard questions from the A level Physics/ Mathematics (Mechanics) and the first-year undergraduate classical mechanics topics including Special Relativity.
interesting.png

The second Question:

The two components of a binary star are observed to move in circles of radii r1 and r2. What is the ratio of their masses?
(Note : Binary stars orbits around the combined centre of mass.)

If you have some interesting questions please post them. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

This time a simpler one from the projectile motion :
interesting.png

Please feel free to post any questions, interesting/confusing ideas or anything interesting related to mechanics you may have.
Feel free to tag any members who you may think might be interested in this.
Original post by tangotangopapa2
Inspired by the hard integral thread !!!
Topics of discussion : Hard questions from the A level Physics/ Mathematics (Mechanics) and the first-year undergraduate classical mechanics topics including Special Relativity.
interesting.png

The second Question:

The two components of a binary star are observed to move in circles of radii r1 and r2. What is the ratio of their masses?
(Note : Binary stars orbits around the combined centre of mass.)

If you have some interesting questions please post them. :biggrin: :biggrin:

will try this tonight!
A balloon contains a bag of sand of initial mass m0m_0, and the combined mass of balloon+sand is M0M_0. The balloon experiences a constant upthrust R and is initially at rest and in equilibrium, with the upthrust compensating exactly for the gravitational force. At time t = 0 the sand is released at a constant rate dm/dt. It is fully disposed of after a time T.

(i) Determine the velocity of the balloon v(t) at any time between t = 0 and T. (Hint: Derive your expression in terms of k=m0/M0T k = m_0/M_0T)
(ii) Find the height gained by the balloon as a function of time.
(iii) For small values of  ϵ=m0/M0 \epsilon= m_0/M_0 express your results for the velocity and height gain at time T to first order in ϵ\epsilon .
Original post by langlitz
A balloon contains a bag of sand of initial mass m0m_0, and the combined mass of balloon+sand is M0M_0. The balloon experiences a constant upthrust R and is initially at rest and in equilibrium, with the upthrust compensating exactly for the gravitational force. At time t = 0 the sand is released at a constant rate dm/dt. It is fully disposed of after a time T.

(i) Determine the velocity of the balloon v(t) at any time between t = 0 and T. (Hint: Derive your expression in terms of k=m0/M0T k = m_0/M_0T)
(ii) Find the height gained by the balloon as a function of time.
(iii) For small values of  ϵ=m0/M0 \epsilon= m_0/M_0 express your results for the velocity and height gain at time T to first order in ϵ\epsilon .

Really tough question. My previous solution for (i) was: aaa see this.pngbut now I know that I missed out something. I used F = M(x) dv/dt which is wrong. Need to do it again writing F as F = M(x) dv/dt + dM/dt times v and solve the differential equation again. I am not sure I will be able to solve the differential equation.
Really tough question. My previous solution for (i) was: aaa see this.pngbut now I know that I missed out something. I used F = M(x) dv/dt which is wrong. Need to do it again writing F as F = M(x) dv/dt + dM/dt times v and solve the differential equation again. I am not sure I will be able to solve the differential equation.

Yes you're right there, it's an easy mistake to make as normally the mass isn't changing in mechanics questions. The integration is not too bad actually, I have faith in you :smile:

Yes you're right there, it's an easy mistake to make as normally the mass isn't changing in mechanics questions. The integration is not too bad actually, I have faith in you :smile:

Wait a moment, If m_0 is very small compared to M_0. and dm/dt is fairly small, M(x)dv/dt could be reasonable approximation to F. In that case, rewriting above equation using R = M_0 g, we get: aaa see this.pngand then after integrating this (had to use integration of parts to solve integration of ln(1-kt) by writing it as 1 times ln (1-kt)) we can arrive at the following equation: bbb see this.png

I am sorry but I just looked at the solution in the following sheet, last question: http://www2.ph.ed.ac.uk/~egardi/MfP3-Dynamics/Solutions_Workshop3.pdf :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
One end of a thin inexstendable, but perfectly flexible, length of string 'L' with uniform mass per unit length is held at a point on a smooth table a distance 'd' (< L) away from a small vertical hole in the surface of the table. The string passes through the hole so that a length L - d of the string hangs vertically. The string is released from rest. Assuming the height of the table is greater than L, find the time taken for the end of the string to reach the top of the hole.

tangotangopapa2 this is a bit easy for you
Original post by Ipsooo
One end of a thin inexstendable, but perfectly flexible, length of string 'L' with uniform mass per unit length is held at a point on a smooth table a distance 'd' (< L) away from a small vertical hole in the surface of the table. The string passes through the hole so that a length L - d of the string hangs vertically. The string is released from rest. Assuming the height of the table is greater than L, find the time taken for the end of the string to reach the top of the hole.

Spoiler

Reply 9

Spoiler

As I said...a bit easy :wink:
Let me find some harder ones for you hmm
Original post by Ipsooo
As I said...a bit easy :wink:
Let me find some harder ones for you hmm

Omg!!! These differential equations are nearly killing me.
Wait a moment, If m_0 is very small compared to M_0. and dm/dt is fairly small, M(x)dv/dt could be reasonable approximation to F. In that case, rewriting above equation using R = M_0 g, we get: aaa see this.pngand then after integrating this (had to use integration of parts to solve integration of ln(1-kt) by writing it as 1 times ln (1-kt)) we can arrive at the following equation: bbb see this.png

I am sorry but I just looked at the solution in the following sheet, last question: http://www2.ph.ed.ac.uk/~egardi/MfP3-Dynamics/Solutions_Workshop3.pdf :tongue:

Well done, that question is damned brutal (even when you cheat :wink:). I have a similar and possibly harder one which has no answer online if you'd like to try it?
Well done, that question is damned brutal (even when you cheat :wink:). I have a similar and possibly harder one which has no answer online if you'd like to try it?

Sure!!! :biggrin:
Sure!!! :biggrin:

Actually I just did it and it's not super hard but here

a1.png
A stick of mass density per unit length ρ rests on a circle of radius R.The stick makes an angle θ with the horizontal and is tangent to the circle at its upper end. Friction exists at all points of contact and it is large enough to keep the system at rest. Find the friction force between the ground and the circle.

mango.png

Spoiler

If you have something please post it.
Actually I just did it and it's not super hard but here

a1.png

Are my answers correct? :tongue:

a) v=voebtMo+mo v = v_o e^{- \frac{bt}{M_o + m_o}} Where (v)s are vectors, don't know how to write vectors in LaTex. :frown:

b) Momentum is only conserved if there is no external force, as there is external drag momentum is not conserved. The change in energy accounts for the work done against the resistive force.

c) (By conservation of momentum) Mv + delta mu = 0 Differentiating with respect to time and writing, dM/dt = 0 and du/dt = 0, we get the given equation. (I have taken reference frame to be the frame stationary with respect to rocket just before the propulsion.) (This is the famous rocket equation where F = 0.)

d) Integrating the equation given in c) with limits M= M_o + m_o to M = M_o + m_o - m_1 we get the equation in v.

e) As, v_o and u are parallel, we could just write their magnitudes in the equation. Now we simply have to plug in values to obtain:
m1=(Mo+mo)(1evo10u) m_1 = (M_o + m_o)(1-e^{-\frac{v_o}{10u}})
Original post by Ipsooo

Hint pls
Reply 17
That's a neat one. ^^

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NatoHeadshot
Hint pls

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Are my answers correct? :tongue:

a) v=voebtMo+mo v = v_o e^{- \frac{bt}{M_o + m_o}} Where (v)s are vectors, don't know how to write vectors in LaTex. :frown:

b) Momentum is only conserved if there is no external force, as there is external drag momentum is not conserved. The change in energy accounts for the work done against the resistive force.

c) (By conservation of momentum) Mv + delta mu = 0 Differentiating with respect to time and writing, dM/dt = 0 and du/dt = 0, we get the given equation. (I have taken reference frame to be the frame stationary with respect to rocket just before the propulsion.) (This is the famous rocket equation where F = 0.)

d) Integrating the equation given in c) with limits M= M_o + m_o to M = M_o + m_o - m_1 we get the equation in v.

e) As, v_o and u are parallel, we could just write their magnitudes in the equation. Now we simply have to plug in values to obtain:
m1=(Mo+mo)(1evo10u) m_1 = (M_o + m_o)(1-e^{-\frac{v_o}{10u}})

I think so :smile: I don't think you'd get all the marks for what you wrote in b) though.

p.s. to write vectors in latex you do \vec{b} for example for a vector b\vec{b}

Quick Reply

Latest