The Student Room Group

Self teach my self Chemistry??

is it possible to teach myself chemistry as level or do i have to get a tutor?
my chemistry teachers are ****.
Reply 1
I have self taught myself Maths and Further Maths, almost did the same for Physics but Chemistry I found extremely hard to work on your own on. Reading the book and understanding stuff is not hard, the problem is that the book is never sufficient to get an A*. If you're really set on doing it, use ChemGuide.co.uk. Learn every page on that website.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by yassaman

It would be quite rare that every single one of your chemistry teachers are **** whatever was in the asterisks? No offense but maybe it's just you.

And yeah I think you might be able to teach yourself AS level chemistry but it would be VERY VERY difficult if you don't manage your time well. You'd have to do chemistry work in school in free/study periods if you have any - not just at home. I'm planning on self-teaching myself A2 further maths modules for an International A-level and it's going to be quite unfeasible if I don't spend some time during school working on those.

Think about your true decision to LEARN chemistry. If you really want to learn it but all your chemistry teachers are hopeless (that is if you have asked them for support but they didn't really help much and you asked again, and also you know for sure their teaching sucks), you should get a tutor as well as materials for self-studying.

I cannot teach you everything about studying nor self-studying. You'll have to research that on your own. What I will say is that it is possible - Chemistry is a popular subject and there's loads of resources (powerpoints, videos, past papers etc etc.) on the internet. You should also purchase a textbook if you plan on self-teaching it.

So yeah, you CAN do it (and it will still be difficult - but I'm sure you already know that), the question is SHOULD you do it.

It is possible. I have teached myself in chemistry up to A levels. It is not so difficult, if someone (like me) is interest in this subject and like it to deal with the topics. It is easier to get an understanding for that then.*
Reply 4
Original post by Kiritsugu
It would be quite rare that every single one of your chemistry teachers are **** whatever was in the asterisks? No offense but maybe it's just you.

And yeah I think you might be able to teach yourself AS level chemistry but it would be VERY VERY difficult if you don't manage your time well. You'd have to do chemistry work in school in free/study periods if you have any - not just at home. I'm planning on self-teaching myself A2 further maths modules for an International A-level and it's going to be quite unfeasible if I don't spend some time during school working on those.

Think about your true decision to LEARN chemistry. If you really want to learn it but all your chemistry teachers are hopeless (that is if you have asked them for support but they didn't really help much and you asked again, and also you know for sure their teaching sucks), you should get a tutor as well as materials for self-studying.

I cannot teach you everything about studying nor self-studying. You'll have to research that on your own. What I will say is that it is possible - Chemistry is a popular subject and there's loads of resources (powerpoints, videos, past papers etc etc.) on the internet. You should also purchase a textbook if you plan on self-teaching it.

So yeah, you CAN do it (and it will still be difficult - but I'm sure you already know that), the question is SHOULD you do it.

my college is bad overall but their chemistry department is amazingly bad. i self taught myself everything in gcse and managed to do alright but like everyone said a level is not the same as gcse. but thanks for the advice
my college is bad overall but their chemistry department is amazingly bad. i self taught myself everything in gcse and managed to do alright but like everyone said a level is not the same as gcse. but thanks for the advice

Hmm... It wouldn't hurt to get a good tutor and self-teach it to yourself would it? A-level is just a combination of more work and working smarter, prioritizing tasks and having effective organisation. You could self-teach it, I mean, why not? Hah, now that I think about it... maybe I'll teach myself it too!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by oShahpo
I have self taught myself Maths and Further Maths, almost did the same for Physics but Chemistry I found extremely hard to work on your own on. Reading the book and understanding stuff is not hard, the problem is that the book is never sufficient to get an A*. If you're really set on doing it, use ChemGuide.co.uk. Learn every page on that website.

Right. It is never enough to read a book alone. It is always required to read web pages and another books to get another informations. Asking people is helpful too. Sometimes at least.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's obviously hard because of the practical endorsement but I'm sure it is possible with revision videos and other online resources. I get what you mean because one out of two of my chem teachers simply can't teach either. Read your textbook after every lesson as that would really help too
Reply 8

I totally get you, I had the same problem. It's hard, but its doable, in the end the exam only covered things from the book so i was fine, and so it was ok for me in AS. But A-level seems totally different, and I can already see that the same technique is not going to work, and I am not going to be lucky this time around. I suggest you watch youtube videos, which follow the same spec as your board, and try your best.

Good luck!
Reply 9
i am now over 1 year studying chemistry on my and the goal yes i see my self in a big picture that i can finish this study i actually say that yes its hard but if you love what you do it doesnt matter but one thing is not clear for me whenever you finish this one (chemistry) then try to get a professional job out of it . well no! you cant get a high stable job as a chemist because if you have certifications and demonstrate your skill they wont respond or believe on what you have done. but the key is to start as a lab assistant. well that doesn't need u to have any degree but just a (Hs) diploma wiLl doo and with the knowledge that you have the purpose of going into get a job as a lab assistant well uwill be thought how to use a laboratory thats my point why u need to start as woking in low kind of job and from there goodluck where so rare yur not alone keep going

Quick Reply

Latest