University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1840
Original post by chemphys
I know people

So do I.
Original post by alow
So do I.

actually nvm , its fine , its not that big of a deal .
Original post by chemphys
actually nvm , its fine , its not that big of a deal .

You should PM @alow ...
Any Robinson college or phys nat sci group chats?
Original post by 12284
Do freshers tend to arrive earlier or later in the day? I want to avoid the crowd...

Wellyou cant avoid it now lol since tmmrw is the 1st.
Original post by vincrows
Not the first time. :wink:
And ex- Lucy cavendish's AT is a new @Christ's Admissions now.......though Dr. Spencer's photo is still on their undergraduate admission page. :tongue:

You're not the first person to point this out! :smile:
Original post by Christ's Admissions
You're not the first person to point this out! :smile:

Lol
It's been there quite a while after Dr.Spencer left Christ's, I was beginning to wonder if you look identical to him! :biggrin:

Look forward to meeting real you on the website before too long.
And good luck in your new post. :smile:
Just reading this thread...hoping in a few years this will be me procrastinating over packing and fretting about dress codes, anyway GL everyone in this thread you all deserve everything you've achieved
Is anyone else feeling really nervous right about now?
GOOD LUCK for everyone who's setting off to Cambridge today.
Hope you'll enjoy the life there as much as all the cantabs I've known......and I'm sure you will.
Very best wishes for your new journey. :smile:

Edit: one practical advice
The first thing you should do after registering at a welcome desk is getting a trolley from the porter's. (If your college's kind JCR people are not waiting for you with a trolley already). It'll reduce the number of to/fro-ing between your car and room a lot. They only have a limited number, so secure it when you can. Usually you have to pay a deposit (refunded when you return the trolley) , so take same cash with you. (At my daughter's college, there wasn't any fixed amount for deposit, so you just paid what you like and a porter recorded it and refunded the same amount later, but this may vary from college to college)
(edited 7 years ago)
Good luck to all of you starting today! Hope you have as amazing a time as I did. It will fly by though, so make the most of all the opportunities you'll have.

It was my 10 year post-graduation reunion last week, can't believe it's already been that long! Unfortunately I missed it as I was in hospital, but it looks like all my friends had a great time, ike we'd never left (though maybe not quite so fresh-faced, especially the next morning!)
Original post by SalGal
Ok, here's the truth.

I achieved my offer to begin study at Cambridge this October. However, I'm anorexic and have a bmi of 12. This will be picked up at the health check which my college gives all new students and I would be considered "unfit to study"What will happen? Will they kick me out? If so, would I be kicked out permanently and have to reapply next year?

where did you read that they can't legally let you in with a BMI under 16? I have a BMI of 15 but am totally healthy and do not suffer from any eating disorders. Just wanted to know because I have just applied for uni and had no idea anything like this was a thing
So the trip down the A1 from God's own county to Cambridge is done again and dd is delivered to Newnham for her second year. Despite the building work and the displaced porters' lodge, all went smoothly.

The only disappointment was the weather! Last year when dd was a fresher, we arrived to bright sunshine showing off Newnham's grounds to best effect; today was grey and a bit wet!

So, good luck to all of you starting off your university careers at Cambridge (and especially at Newnham!) I wish you the best.
Original post by nia.katochi
where did you read that they can't legally let you in with a BMI under 16? I have a BMI of 15 but am totally healthy and do not suffer from any eating disorders. Just wanted to know because I have just applied for uni and had no idea anything like this was a thing

It isn't a thing, don't worry.
Do law lectures start week beginning 3 or 10 October?
Reply 1855
Original post by Lincoln123
Do law lectures start week beginning 3 or 10 October?

3rd. Mine start this Thursday. Introductory lectures are before this however.

https://2016-17.timetable.cam.ac.uk/
Right, at last...... To the rest of 2016 guys (and one dad & his son :wink:)

SAFE JOURNEY TO CAMBRIDGE TODAY,
AND VERY BEST WISHES FOR THE START OF YOUR NEW LIFE & NEXT 3/4 YEARS.
GOOD LUCK and ENJOY!!

One serious note.....
It won't be a plain sailing for anyone, the life at Cambridge.
Many of you'll probably have a few 'what have I done?' moments.
But you're not alone. Many students before you experienced the same, and almost all of them came out the other end as a better and stronger person. So will you.
You're going to have the most fulfilling experience from today. Work hard, play hard.
Good luck. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Do most people type or hand write their lecture notes?
Reply 1858
Original post by Lincoln123
Do most people type or hand write their lecture notes?

Depends on the subject and person.

I'm a chemist and like to condense the lecture handouts into handwritten notebooks and make extra notes during lectures by hand.
It is with great pleasure that I now unsticky this thread and release you into the wild!

You lot are far too busy studying/playing/living at Cambridge to have time for TSR. :smile:

Enjoy it, it's been emotional...

:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending