The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by I Hope You Die
How do you define harder?

Like im failing the QR
Reply 6601
Hey,
For VR the passages were long so just flag the long passages and come back.
QR was much easier compared to modify or the mocks.
AR was pretty similar to mocks.
I got 640,890,730 so 753 average.
Original post by pool99
Hey,

hey well done on your score!!

what sort of AR patterns did you get?
were the mostly
shape
colour
arrangment
number
size
patterns?
xx
Reply 6603
Original post by Lostperson
hey well done on your score!!

what sort of AR patterns did you get?
were the mostly
shape
colour
arrangment
number
size
patterns?
xx

I'm already forgetting and I just finished the exam like 5 minutes ago!
I remember a few odd evens. A couple had to do with like one more of this object on this side rather than the other.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by pool99
Hey,

your scores are really good, 890 for QR ? Any suggestions on how to improve on QR & AR?
Reply 6605
Original post by iqra-chan
your scores are really good, 890 for QR ? Any suggestions on how to improve on QR & AR?

For QR if you see a problem which you simply just don't understand just flag and move on.
AR just requires practice.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Picturesque2016
Hi, please can anyone thinking of Manchester advise on the non-academic criteria. What defines as good experience in caring role i.e., tenure (months or years???)

I Phoned them up last year. From what I can remember they said they like long term commitment over a period of months, i remember the guy saying 6 months is preferable. Also its important to reflect what you gained from it. Top 1000 people are ranked using UKCAT and 900 are invited to interview based on non academic form. So basically 100 out of 1000 people get rejected due to their form.
Original post by Mathsmad123
I Phoned them up last year. From what I can remember they said they like long term commitment over a period of months, i remember the guy saying 6 months is preferable. Also its important to reflect what you gained from it. Top 1000 people are ranked using UKCAT and 900 are invited to interview based on non academic form. So basically 100 out of 1000 people get rejected due to their form.

Is volunteering at a hospital since January decent enough for commitment one day a week? I've learnt loads from it too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mind calling them up for me, asking what is the minimum care work required this year please?
Original post by rbkbball
Do you mind calling them up for me, asking what is the minimum care work required this year please?

Haha, of course mate😂😂Just PM me to remind me whenever you want me to call them!
Original post by michaela__
Is volunteering at a hospital since January decent enough for commitment one day a week? I've learnt loads from it too

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would assume so because that is long term and i can't see the majority of applicants doing more volunteering work than you! My friend got into Manchester last year doing less!
I would assume so because that is long term and i can't see the majority of applicants doing more volunteering work than you! My friend got into Manchester last year doing less!

Thank you that gives me hope 😇 just fingers crossed I meet the cut off 😂 I have 667 so a bit risky, I'm kind of scared for when the deciles are released because I might either be really happy or have a meltdown 😂.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you that gives me hope 😇 just fingers crossed I meet the cut off 😂 I have 667 so a bit risky, I'm kind of scared for when the deciles are released because I might either be really happy or have a meltdown 😂.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That score seems like it will be fine hopefully, as manchester has never been higher than 665! All throughout year 13, you will be waiting for things from publication of UKCAT deciles to finding out if you have an offer. From personal experience its a killer, its so stressful, I've actually grown like 5 white hair😂! Just make sure you get the A level grades required, because without them, medicine is impossible!!
That score seems like it will be fine hopefully, as manchester has never been higher than 665! All throughout year 13, you will be waiting for things from publication of UKCAT deciles to finding out if you have an offer. From personal experience its a killer, its so stressful, I've actually grown like 5 white hair😂! Just make sure you get the A level grades required, because without them, medicine is impossible!!

Are u resitting?
Original post by I Hope You Die
Are u resitting?

I achieved A*A*AB (A* in maths and further maths which unis consider as 1 subject!!), So yeah pretty much in 1 subject. But the unis allow it because of my extenuating circumstances.
I achieved A*A*AB (A* in maths and further maths which unis consider as 1 subject!!), So yeah pretty much in 1 subject. But the unis allow it because of my extenuating circumstances.

I have extenuating circumstances like you know so reckon if I got AAB they would understand or not 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have extenuating circumstances like you know so reckon if I got AAB they would understand or not 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Best thing to do is try and get at least AAA and not risk it!! They would only understand if something affected you at the time of exams or very close to it and you report it to GP/school at that time. But it has to be something serious.
Hey guys pretty urgent question as my application is going away this Monday:

Which universities interview lots of applicants? I would like an interview and my stats are:

Nat 5's/GCSE's = (Very strong)
Highers/Year after Gcse's for english applicants = (very strong)
Predicted AH/2 years after GCSE's = (hopefully very strong)
UKCAT = BAD (unfortunately)
Personal Statement= Really confident.

I was considering Bristol but they seem to have MANY applicants and don't give that many interviews compared to the number of applicants. Don't really care which university but which one would I be most likely to receive interviews from? I want an interview as I feel this would hopefully be my strong point.
Best thing to do is try and get at least AAA and not risk it!! They would only understand if something affected you at the time of exams or very close to it and you report it to GP/school at that time. But it has to be something serious.

Yeah I'm in the process of getting a doctors note at the minute for the extenuating circumstances form, I have so many hospital letters and even a surgery consent form for my illness which affects me every day so I'll also be reporting it to exam boards this year. I'll try my best honestly I think I can get an A in bio and Chem if not higher, but history kills me I don't know why because if anything Chem is much harder 😭 ugh wish I could swap my a levels tbh. Do you know if i resat could I just do a new a level? I stress about it already as an A is just a bit of a stretch for history for me lol 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I'm in the process of getting a doctors note at the minute for the extenuating circumstances form, I have so many hospital letters and even a surgery consent form for my illness which affects me every day so I'll also be reporting it to exam boards this year. I'll try my best honestly I think I can get an A in bio and Chem if not higher, but history kills me I don't know why because if anything Chem is much harder 😭 ugh wish I could swap my a levels tbh. Do you know if i resat could I just do a new a level? I stress about it already as an A is just a bit of a stretch for history for me lol 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can get an A in history its only october! you got so long left so work on your weaknesses! All i know about history was that henry the 8th was a big fat man and he had like 8 wives (maybe that fact will help you get an A or even an A*😂😂).
And no you can't do a brand new a level if you resat!

Quick Reply

Latest