The Student Room Group

Basic Charge Question

(a) Inside a cell, the energy required to move an electron from the positive to negative terminal is 2.4x10^-19 J, show that the emf of the cell is 1.5V. (Did that) (b) How much energy is transferred when 1 C of charge passes through the cell? (did it, 1.5J) (c) How much charge passes through the cell in 1 minute? The only equation we have been taught that relates time and charge is Q=It, but I don't have a time for which a charge goes through, and nor do I have the current. Please help. Sorry for the *****y formatting, I can't get it to make new paragraphs ;c.
question as posed seems to be missing information.

is there a diagram?
Reply 2
Original post by Joinedup
question as posed seems to be missing information.

is there a diagram?
No, I put the entire question here.
Original post by Shipreck
No, I put the entire question here.
You gave parts a), b) and c) to the question.

Without knowing the rate at which charge flows (determined by the current flowing around external circuit), part c) cannot be answered.

Information is missing either in the form of a circuit diagram or in the form of a preamble paragraph - possibly following on from a previous question or relating to a paragraph of descriptive text in your textbook?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by uberteknik
You gave parts a), b) and c) to the question.

Without knowing the rate at which charge flows (determined by the current flowing around external circuit), part c) cannot be answered.

Information is missing either in the form of a circuit diagram or in the form of a preamble paragraph - possibly following on from a previous question or relating to a paragraph of descriptive text in your textbook?

Nope. This is how it was laid out in the book: Question 4: Inside a cell, the energy needed to move an electron from the positive to the negative terminal is 2.4x10^-19J. Show that the emf of the cell is 1.5V. Question 5: (a) How much energy is transferred when 1.0C of charge passes through the cell in question 4?(b) How much charge passes through the cell in 1 minute?.I'm guessing it's just a **** up by the book company, because they have a resistance question in the same section and they haven't covered it yet.

Quick Reply

Latest