University applicants 2017 thread!

Scroll to see replies

Applying to Cardiff met mba
Original post by JGFLynch
Course: English
Universities: Oxford, Durham, UCL, Bristol, KCL
GCSE grades: 5A*5A
AS grades (predicted/achieved):AAAC
A2 grades (predicted/achieved):A*A*A*A* (achieved) (full UMS in English)
Offers: none yet but fingers crossed

Wow! Congratulations, especially on your English! BEsides, we have two choices in common so if you don't get into Oxford (I hope you do!), see you at Durham or UCL!
Does anyone know the better and most reputable uni for law out of the following:
-Swansea
-Westminster
-Portsmouth
Or any other uni that accepts AAB-ABB?
I've already got Exeter, Cardiff and then Oxford Brooke's and UWE for backup but need one more, preferably ABB and in the south west/east. Thanks
Course: Law/Law and Politics
Universities: Cambridge (Downing), Warwick, Exeter, Leicester, Lancaster
GCSE grades: 3A*, 9A, 1B (bloody German)
AS grades (achieved): AAAA (achieved), Politics (200/200UMS), History (92/100RAW), Economics (113RAW), English Lit
A2 grades (predicted): A*A*A (Politics, History, Economics)
Extra curricular: A lot of debating, public speaking, etc. Currently running a politics society in school, have participated in the national mock bar competition... I don't think I've done too much, but it was enough to fill out a personal statement ^^;
Other: Sent off my UCAS yesterday!! Very excited, but nervous, too. Could be the case that I don't even get an interview at Cambridge thanks to my GCSEs being not-so-great, but I don't really care - I'm only applying because it would've bothered me for the rest of my life if I didnt T_T

Good luck to everyone out there applying, especially to fellow law applicants!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bethipayne
Course: Law/Law and Politics
Universities: Cambridge (Downing), Warwick, Exeter, Leicester, Lancaster
GCSE grades: 3A*, 9A, 1B (bloody German)
AS grades (predicted/achieved): AAAA (achieved), Politics (200/200UMS), History (92/100RAW), Economics (113RAW), English Lit
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): A*A*A (Politics, History, Economics)
Extra curricular: A lot of debating, public speaking, etc. Currently running a politics society in school, have participated in the national mock bar competition... I don't think I've done too much, but it was enough to fill out a personal statement ^^;
Other: Sent off my UCAS yesterday!! Very excited, but nervous, too. Could be the case that I don't even get an interview at Cambridge thanks to my GCSEs being not-so-great, but I don't really care - I'm only applying because it would've bothered me for the rest of my life if I didnt T_T

Good luck to everyone out there applying, especially to fellow law applicants!!

Cambridge will be much more interested in your *recent* grades, which are truly excellent, than your GCSEs.
Reply 165
Original post by dorababy1995
Oh of course they do! Don't worry about this - especially at universities like Oxford and Durham, admissions tutors know exactly how to assess overseas applicants - after all, it's these equivalencies they base conditions on! (In your case of course, this is irrelevant as you're a post-qualification applicant, like me.) I'm speaking from experience. By the way, I'm from Hungary and I'm applying for English.

Yes, they do know it, but I think not all of them are aware how hard it is to get high grades in the Abitur :biggrin: (for example, I was forced to take Fine Art as one of my 12 subjects and the grades counted into my final result...)Some requirements for the Abitur are rather harsh in comparison to the a level equivalent, but I don't want to complain here, it won't be a problem for me I suppose :smile:
Good luck for your application! :smile: I hope you get into your first choice uni :smile:
Original post by scblx
Yes, they do know it, but I think not all of them are aware how hard it is to get high grades in the Abitur :biggrin: (for example, I was forced to take Fine Art as one of my 12 subjects and the grades counted into my final result...)Some requirements for the Abitur are rather harsh in comparison to the a level equivalent, but I don't want to complain here, it won't be a problem for me I suppose :smile:
Good luck for your application! :smile: I hope you get into your first choice uni :smile:

I think they do know. Oh and trust me, A-levels are just as hard (I'm doing one in English literature privately)

Viel Glück, und hoffentlich sehen wir uns nächstes Jahr' :smile:
Reply 167
Course: Broadcast production / Film and Media / Digital Media
Universities: UWS / Edinburgh Napier / Stirling / Queen Margaret / Robert Gordon
GCSE grades: //
AS grades (predicted/achieved)://
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): I'm from Slovenia, so our system is quite different. But in general, I think I'l achieve something like BBB.
Extra curricular: I'm currently in a drama department class, so we have tons of subject which are of use. Also: school newspaper, class president, multilingual, won several youth filming competitions...
Other: I have my IELTS exam this weekend and I'm super nervous....actually the whole process is making me feel really nervous!
Course: Politics
Universities: Birmingham, Loughborough, De Montfort, Leicester, and possibly Nottingham Trent (I haven't decided)
GCSE grades: 3 As, 5 Bs, 3 Cs
AS grades (achieved): AAA in Creative Writing, Government & Politics, and Sociology
A2 grades (predicted): No idea of predictions, but I'm self-predicting AAA - even though I'm having to do Creative Writing independently and will likely do a fourth AS level :s-smilie:
Extra curricular: Erm, I read the news a lot! I should really volunteer for something, but I think I'll just stick to reading books...
Other: Need to get a move on with my PS but my A-levels are a bit of the mess at the moment :s-smilie:
(edited 7 years ago)
Course: Music Business/Management
Universities: Undecided but have looked at Hertfordshire, Bucks New, South Wales, Gloucestershire, Southampton Solent
GCSE grades: A*, 8 As, 2 Bs
AS grades (predicted/achieved): ABC (Maths, Geography, Accounting)
A2 grades (predicted/achieved): ABB
Extra curricular: Need to find more to put on my personal statement!
Other: Still need to write my personal statement, but don't know where to start!
Original post by Steliata
My boyfriend has gone to uni this weekend and omg I'm so jealous and I can't wait.

Name: Stella
Course: Japanese (with year abroad, obvs)
Where? Cambridge, Edinburgh, Sheffield, SOAS, then Durham or Manchester. Probably.
AS grades+Subjects: AAAA in English Language, Maths, Chinese and Religious Studies
A2 Predicted/Achieved: I don't have predictions yet but probably at least A*AA for Maths, English and Chinese (any order) Oh yeah and an EPQ. Hopefully I'll get an A or A*.
Offers? none yet but hopefully I'll get to update this saying Cambridge!!! :ahee:

Edit: sent off my UCAS yesterday (although awaiting a reference) and I'm applying to Cambridge, Edinburgh, Sheffield, SOAS and Durham :ahee:

Also I think my predictions are A*A*A* which is way higher than I expected and I'm not sure if I can manage it haha
Name : Luke :biggrin:
Course :Medicine... hopefully
Uni: anywhere i can get in :s
GCSE's 3A* 4A 3B
AS: AAAB in bio chem physics and math.
A2 predicted: A* A* A* A in bio chem physics and maths.
Extra-curricular :volunteer work in special needs and mentally handicapped groups + old people home
Other~~~ please tell me people are freaking out as much as i am?
Name: Kimberley
Course : Economics
Prospective Universities: Bath, St Andrews, Durham, Surrey, Nottingham
GCSE: 9A* 3A 1B
IB: hell yes
HL: physics english economics
SL: Maths, Biology, Spanish Ab

Predicted: 40/45 HL766

Extra curricular: Created Sixth Form STEM ambassador role, involved with NASA/Tim Peaks Space Seeds project (presenting to T Peaks in November), Extended Essay on Metro Bank, Maths exploration on lorenz curve, Debate Chamber Economics Summer school, Model UN, Violin (grade 3 in october woop woop), volunteered at town ship creche in africa
(edited 7 years ago)
Name: Polina
Course: International Business Management (year abroad/industry)
Where? Durham, Birmingham, Sheffield, Aston, Coventry
GCSE - 1A* 5A's 4B's 2C's
AS grades+Subjects: I failed first time round cause of school and the subjects I chose (A - Russian, E - Maths, E - Biology, C - EPQ (didn't have a school assessor) U - Chemistry (lol)]
This year, am much happier:
A - Sociology
B - Business
B- Dutch
A2 Predicted/Achieved:
Achieved A in Russian
A* - Sociology
A - Business
B - Dutch
Offers?
Applying next week!
Original post by lowkey-loki
Name : Luke :biggrin:
Course :Medicine... hopefully
Uni: anywhere i can get in :s
GCSE's 3A* 4A 3B
AS: AAAB in bio chem physics and math.
A2 predicted: A* A* A* A in bio chem physics and maths.
Extra-curricular :volunteer work in special needs and mentally handicapped groups + old people home
Other~~~ please tell me people are freaking out as much as i am?

I've just submitted my application for medicine and I am definitely freaking out! It's gonna be a stressful few weeks/months waiting to hear back! 😬
Have you submitted your application yet?
Just letting everyone know that a facebook group has been created for us. If the admin can see this, I've tried to join so please add me when you can. :smile:
Original post by isabella1999
Hey again :biggrin: yeah it's so weird, excited but nervous also :s-smilie:

Name: Isabella
Course: Medicine
Where: Cambridge (maybe), Nottingham, Birmingham and undecided on last!
AS grades+Subjects: AAAAA (chemistry, biology, maths, psychology and general studies)
A2 Predicted/Achieved: A*A* A/A* for maths, chem and bio respectively, our school have not predicted any A* for bio yet so fingers crossed! And who cares about general studies lolllllll
Offers? None yet aha hopefully :biggrin:

Original post by Anonymous_girll

Submitting it tomorrow once I check over references with teachers but all completed! In the end I changed my choices to Bristol, Birmingham, Edinburgh and Cambridge as I did better in my UKCAT than expected :smile:
Can you believe it's already October?!
Personally I don't regret submitting my application in early September... at least I don't need to worry about missing the 15 October deadline! Anyone else in the same boat?
Original post by Gogregg
Name: George
Course: Medicine! :biggrin:
Where? Definitely applying to UEA and Dundee, but I'm going to be choosing from two of BSMS, Newcastle and Barts and the London
AS grades+Subjects: AAAA Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths :h:
A2 Predicted/Achieved: I don't know for certain, but probably A*A*A*, I'm also taking on EPQ, but I don't know what I'll be predicted for that :dontknow:
Offers? Hopefully I'll have at least one :hide:

Good luck with the applications, everyone! :biggrin: It's finally time! :woo:

What's everyone looking forward to the most, if anything, about university?

Personally, I really am looking forward to studying my course (goes without saying really :colondollar:) but also the fact that I'll be far away from home, away from my parents. I'll be independant, I'll be doing what I want, and that excites me so much. It scares me a bit too, but I know that's a good thing that I'm scared :lol:

I've applied for medicine at Dundee! So scary now that my application is in, in for a nerve-wracking few weeks/months waiting to hear back!

I'm really looking forward to studying the course too (well hopefully) and it'll be great meeting new people and making new friends!

How did you get on in you're UKCAT?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending