The Student Room Group

University applicants 2017 thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by isabella1999
Submitting it tomorrow once I check over references with teachers but all completed! In the end I changed my choices to Bristol, Birmingham, Edinburgh and Cambridge as I did better in my UKCAT than expected :smile:

Exciting! Ahh right, can I ask what you got in your UKCAT? I'm applying to Edinburgh too but I'm not sure how I'll get on!
Original post by Anonymous_girll
Exciting! Ahh right, can I ask what you got in your UKCAT? I'm applying to Edinburgh too but I'm not sure how I'll get on!

I know right! But now the wait begins :frown: yeah sure, I got 810! :colondollar: But then again I know how competitive it is for English applicants so I wpuldnt have applied with less than 750 but if you are Scottish I think overall the score you need is less so if you read UKCAT Is a bit weaker it won't matter.
Name : Dan
Course :Marketing/ politics
Uni: Birmingham, Leicester, Sheffield, York, Sheffield Hallam
GCSE's 1A, 2B, 5C
AQA Technical Marketing first year: D,D,M (Merit due to the exam :angry:)
second year predicted: D*D*D ( trying to change that to a D*)
EPQ predicted: A
Extra-curricular :volunteer work at BHF...and thats about it.Oh and work full time (38 - 40hrs per week) whilst studying full time as-well.
Other~ still need to write my personal statement!!! :angry:
Original post by isabella1999
I know right! But now the wait begins :frown: yeah sure, I got 810! :colondollar: But then again I know how competitive it is for English applicants so I wpuldnt have applied with less than 750 but if you are Scottish I think overall the score you need is less so if you read UKCAT Is a bit weaker it won't matter.

Oh wow, congrats that's an amazing score! I hope you're right, my scores no where near as good as that burn hopefully I still have a chance!
No not yet I'm sending it off in the next couple day tho :s-smilie:
Oh wow, congrats that's an amazing score! I hope you're right, my scores no where near as good as that burn hopefully I still have a chance!

Thanks!! And aw, yeah and your other choices are wise too :smile:
Name: Nicole
Course: Physics (astrophysics)
Where? Nottingham. Warwick, Bristol, Manchester and Surrey
AS grades+Subjects: Maths (A), Further maths (A), Chemistry (A) and Physics (A)
A2 Predicted/Achieved: Haven't got them yet, hopefully a mix of A/A*
Offers? None (so far)

Just finishing off my 1st draft of my PS! It's so hard to make it sound like you're interested in something without sounding weirdly enthusiastic haha.
I've applied for medicine at Dundee! So scary now that my application is in, in for a nerve-wracking few weeks/months waiting to hear back!

I'm really looking forward to studying the course too (well hopefully) and it'll be great meeting new people and making new friends!

How did you get on in you're UKCAT?

That's so exciting! You're a Scottish applicant, right?

I'm dead excited to meet the people! :biggrin:
Good luck on your application, though!
I think I'm sending mine off by the end of next week, which is SO FREAKING SCARY! But also extremely exciting :woo:

I got a 787 average, Band 1 :biggrin: I don't think I would have applied with anything less than 700 for Dundee, since it is somewhat UKCAT heavy, and since I'm RUK it's going to be that bit more competitive :eek:
I think it'll be less UKCAT heavy for Scottish Applicants, though :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm really stuck right now 😓 I want apply to uni but I don't know what to apply for. I take chemistry , maths and biology so the obvious choice would be medicine but after shadowing three doctors and being in hospitals during the summer I realised it was not what I wanted to do. Can anyone suggest any possible courses ? I'm yet to write my statement which is worrying considering I have to send my application if before the October half term...
Original post by Leandra_chk
I'm really stuck right now 😓 I want apply to uni but I don't know what to apply for. I take chemistry , maths and biology so the obvious choice would be medicine but after shadowing three doctors and being in hospitals during the summer I realised it was not what I wanted to do. Can anyone suggest any possible courses ? I'm yet to write my statement which is worrying considering I have to send my application if before the October half term...

Have you considered taking a gap year and applying then?
If you don't know what you want to do, it may be best not to apply, as you don't want to be stuck doing something you hate :h:

Why didn't you like medicine? I'm guessing you wouldn't want to consider other healthcare courses for the same reason?
Original post by legosass
Name: Nicole
Course: Physics (astrophysics)
Where? Nottingham. Warwick, Bristol, Manchester and Surrey
AS grades+Subjects: Maths (A), Further maths (A), Chemistry (A) and Physics (A)
A2 Predicted/Achieved: Haven't got them yet, hopefully a mix of A/A*
Offers? None (so far)

Just finishing off my 1st draft of my PS! It's so hard to make it sound like you're interested in something without sounding weirdly enthusiastic haha.

Haha aren't you ment to sound 'weirdly' enthusiastic? Also are you doing all 4 subjects at A2? (great AS grades btw)
Course: Theology and religion
Universities: Cambridge, Durham, Manchester, Nottingham, Chichester
GCSE grades: 8A*, 2A
AS grades: AAAA in latin, religious studies, chemistry and geography
A2 grades (predicted): A*A*A* in latin, rs and chem, with A* predicted in EPQ
Extra curricular: Work experience in a couple of primary schools and in the news room of the Wakefield Express. General stuff like music groups and DofE.
Other: Hoping to get my UCAS sent off sometime in the next few days! My PS was done ages ago, but several people within school read it before letting us submit it, so it's taken longer than I would have liked.
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Haha aren't you ment to sound 'weirdly' enthusiastic? Also are you doing all 4 subjects at A2? (great AS grades btw)

Haha, I guess, but whenever I write something it sounds so fake, like I've taken it too far. Well, I'm planning on dropping further maths, but my maths teacher wants me to carry on, so I am going to sit in on the lessons and see if I will. At the moment we've only started the 2 applied modules, so I'm just going to do all of the content and see which applied module I like best. And thank you! Are you applying to physics too? How did you find AS?
Haha, I guess, but whenever I write something it sounds so fake, like I've taken it too far. Well, I'm planning on dropping further maths, but my maths teacher wants me to carry on, so I am going to sit in on the lessons and see if I will. At the moment we've only started the 2 applied modules, so I'm just going to do all of the content and see which applied module I like best. And thank you! Are you applying to physics too? How did you find AS?
Oh yh I hope my PS comes across as authentic lol. Omg Physics! Wished the AS content was more mathematical :frown: . Isn't Physics heavily mathematics-based at uni? My AS grades were mediocre ; AACD respectively in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. For A2 I'm doing Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry (Somehow chemistry is more mathematical at A2 , which I love of course).
Essentially I want to study Mathematics at uni. Isn't Maths, Further Maths and Physics like the A1 combination for a Physics course at a top uni (yep i know I sound hypocritcal here)?
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Oh yh I hope my PS comes across as authentic lol. Omg Physics! Wished the AS content was more mathematical :frown: . Isn't Physics heavily mathematics-based at uni? My AS grades were mediocre ; AACD respectively in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. For A2 I'm doing Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry (Somehow chemistry is more mathematical at A2 , which I love of course).
Essentially I want to study Mathematics at uni. Isn't Maths, Further Maths and Physics like the A1 combination for a Physics course at a top uni (yep i know I sound hypocritcal here)?

Ugh, I know, what exam board did you do physics with? Your grades aren't too bad! The science were definitely worse this year because of the reforms, I'm pretty sure I scraped an A overall in physics because of the horror that was those multiple choice questions ahah.

Yeah, physics has quite a bit of maths in it (understatement lol) but I really enjoy the chemistry course, and it's like my side passion haha. There wasn't that much maths in the AS, but yeah, I'm looking forward to the harder maths in A2!Basically, I am hoping that my further maths AS is enough knowledge to get me started into university, since when I am there I'll be doing 'maths for physicists' etc. so I shouldn't be too far behind? I'll probably do some reading on the modules I'm not doing from further maths, to help me when I get there (if?), so it shouldn't be too bad. But basically, all uni's just want maths and physics, and I guess my AS further maths is added.

Ahh, maths at uni! You must be pretty good at maths then, haha. I'm more of an applied mathematician (hence the physics) so I'd be pretty awful at a maths degree! What applied modules have you done so far?

1 minute ago

Hi
To anyone who already applied to unis through school/college:
you know when you complete all sections, do you confirm by pressing Pay/Send so the school can then review your application, write reference etc ? does the application go to the school anyway if you press Pay/Send? or does it go straight away to the unis??? I'm so confused.. yesterday was the deadline set by my school to send them our applications so I need to send it ASAP... but I'm not sure whether I'm doing it right or not. And do I pay?, doesn't the school pay?

((I remember when I first made my account I entered a buzzword and linked my application to the school))
Do we have to wait for uni reps to make uni applicant threads or can we??? Gotta get one going for Swansea my love
Original post by &Hope

1 minute ago

Hi
To anyone who already applied to unis through school/college:
you know when you complete all sections, do you confirm by pressing Pay/Send so the school can then review your application, write reference etc ? does the application go to the school anyway if you press Pay/Send? or does it go straight away to the unis??? I'm so confused.. yesterday was the deadline set by my school to send them our applications so I need to send it ASAP... but I'm not sure whether I'm doing it right or not. And do I pay?, doesn't the school pay?

((I remember when I first made my account I entered a buzzword and linked my application to the school))

Goes to your school who will either attach reference and send off or send it back for you to change.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ugh, I know, what exam board did you do physics with? Your grades aren't too bad! The science were definitely worse this year because of the reforms, I'm pretty sure I scraped an A overall in physics because of the horror that was those multiple choice questions ahah.

Yeah, physics has quite a bit of maths in it (understatement lol) but I really enjoy the chemistry course, and it's like my side passion haha. There wasn't that much maths in the AS, but yeah, I'm looking forward to the harder maths in A2!Basically, I am hoping that my further maths AS is enough knowledge to get me started into university, since when I am there I'll be doing 'maths for physicists' etc. so I shouldn't be too far behind? I'll probably do some reading on the modules I'm not doing from further maths, to help me when I get there (if?), so it shouldn't be too bad. But basically, all uni's just want maths and physics, and I guess my AS further maths is added.

Ahh, maths at uni! You must be pretty good at maths then, haha. I'm more of an applied mathematician (hence the physics) so I'd be pretty awful at a maths degree! What applied modules have you done so far?
AQA was my exam board :colonhash: . Logically I should've continued Physics but I really like the contrast in the concepts of Chemistry and Maths (despite the D grade lol :laugh: ) Fair enough the AS further maths should be enough. Looks like you're on route get offers from all of your uni choices given that your PS and reference are equally as strong. Unfortunately I have to wait till November before I can submit my UCAS application via my college. I trully adore maths ; i'm up for the intellectual challenge I will (potentially) face at uni. 6 mark answers on Stationary waves and Diffraction grating weren't for me i'm afraid. Haha is it a coincidence that I so happen to be interested in the Bsc Mathematics courses Nottingham, Manchester and Surrey provide?
Original post by ElGenioEstúpido
Goes to your school who will either attach reference and send off or send it back for you to change.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ok got it thanks
but I still have to pay? through my credit/debit card. because no one told me that I have to pay I thought the school does

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending