The Student Room Group

Protostar's Path to Perfection!

Scroll to see replies

27/09/2016 - Night update

Decided to make some neat physics notes earlier on today to cheer me up a bit, so I thought I'd post them to take the negative edge off of today's update :smile:

IMG_2070.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)
28/09/2016 - Night update

Just a quick one tonight :smile:

Today I've mostly been feeling a bit sorry for myself as I've come down with the dreaded back-to-school bug :frown: so I haven't had the energy to get anything done really.

Luckily today I had 2 frees and 2 study periods to chill and get a little bit of work done. I used my frees for relaxation as always and in my studies I got my further maths and half my physics homeworks done. I had maths last which was a bit of a struggle simply due to how groggy I felt (it was really easy stuff it just took me a lifetime to do, not like me at all :wink:) but luckily it was only a single lesson for a change!

Since I've got home ive just been writhing around on my bed internally groaning because of how bad I feel :redface: I did manage to drag myself to my desk to finish off my physics homework, but something which should have taken about 10-15 minutes took 40 - I think that's a sign I need some rest!

Night all xo
(edited 7 years ago)
29/09/2016 - Night update

Forever forgetting to update 😬

Today ive felt a LOT better than I have these last couple of days so I decided to make the most of it :smile: had a pretty full day of lessons today (double maths and double physics) so I've been relatively productive all day really.

Today I have - school:
Maths: learnt the shell sort algorithm (literally the most pointless one ever)
Maths lesson 2: mostly just homework corrections, some work on stuff we've already covered to recap as well
Physics: textbook notes and questions about superposition of waves and interference
Physics lesson 2: recovering Feynman diagrams as they were an area generally poorly performed in the test (especially by me!!), some introduction to photons and a little bit on the discovery of the neutrino

Home:
3 and a bit pages of neat physics notes made
Little bit of Further Maths revision ahead of tomorrow's test (focused on some network definitions and kruskals algorithm mainly, touched on prims and bin packing too)

Tomorrow I'll get a bit more FM revision done in my 3 frees and a study period before the test - I've enjoyed and understood D1 quite a lot so far so I'm hoping to do pretty well!

Until tomorrow :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NiamhM1801
5/9/2016 - Afternoon update
Hello and welcome to my blog!
Hey guys! I'm Niamh and tomorrow I start at sixth form to begin working towards my A Levels. I'll be studying Maths, Further Maths and Physics, and I'll also be doing the EPQ (although I'm not sure what to do it on yet!). This will be used as a study blog to guide me through my A Levels, and hopefully provide me with some good study habits - which I lacked during my GCSEs let me tell you!

I made a GCSE GYG blog back in February, which can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897617

If anyone is interested, my GCSE results are as follows:

Spoiler

I will be updating daily (hopefully), documenting my progress for you all to see. This blog will run throughout both Year 12 and Year 13, so will include my AS exams at the end of Year 12, and my A2 and A Level exams at the end of Year 13 :smile:

Tagging those who helped me through my GCSE journey:
@brainzistheword @nisha.sri @?Hannah @surina16 @SophFlorence @MR.ANONYMOUS 786 @mypetpikachu @Ben.M @johnatschool @sahra30013 @lilacpotato and anyone else who's supported me along the way :smile:

Am I ready? Probably not, but lets kick off this blog in style!

:party::party::party::party::party::party:

Love the post! I'm curently studing for my gcses aswell, as im sitting them in summer '17. Could you give me some revision tips maybe?
Original post by Bexxy53669
Love the post! I'm curently studing for my gcses aswell, as im sitting them in summer '17. Could you give me some revision tips maybe?

Sure can! What subjects are you taking? :smile:
Sure can! What subjects are you taking? :smile:

im sitting similar subjects to you, triple science, maths and english, geography, further maths and french i think that is it. Also, congrats on your brilliant results! good luck at a level!
im sitting similar subjects to you, triple science, maths and english, geography, further maths and french i think that is it. Also, congrats on your brilliant results! good luck at a level!

Ah ok, lets get started :biggrin::
Science: definitely print off your specifications so you know exactly what you need to know and what you don't, use revision guides and make notes/mind maps/flash cards from the information in them - basically reduce what they'd fit into a page into more concise notes or onto a couple of revision cards or something's along those lines. Also do plenty of past papers to strengthen your exam technique (particularly on the dreaded QWC questions!) and check your understanding of content. You'll have to dedicate a fair bit of time to science!

Maths: past papers, past papers, past papers. You want to be cranking these out like there's no tomorrow. Go through the spec and make sure you know each topic well, and if you don't, practice them (websites like physicsandmathstutor or YouTube channels are very helpful for this!) until you're confident. Always analyse what went wrong after each past paper and strengthen your weaknesses.

English: Know. Your. Texts. Can't highlight the importance of this enough. Again past questions are important, but I found it was relatively easy to predict what questions would come up. Know about characters, themes and events for each chapter of your texts, and for poetry make sure you're prepared with good anthology notes! *just realised you'll be doing new spec so I'm not quite sure how it differs from what i sat*

Geography: know your case studies!!! Very important as a large proportion of your marks will come from this! Also make sure you know all the key definitions (flashcards are handy for this), key processes for the physical side of things are very important too. Past papers again are a must (think you're seeing a pattern here!) but learning content is more important. For case studies, tables are very handy for helping you group information together, I found it easier to recall in the exam if I'd put the information into a table when revising.

Further Maths: very similar to Maths really

French: I know this isn't really revision tips but make sure your controlled assessments are as good as possible! These make up a large chunk of your grade so you want them to be good. For listening exams, try to get yourself used to hearing the language being spoken (say radio or interviews etc) so that it's not a shock to you in the exam. Know your grammar rules so you know what to listen out for when someone's talking. Vocab learning is essential, my old German teacher told us that 7 is the optimal number of words to learn at once, I'm pretty sure you can find vocab lists once your exam boards website so just practice them every now and then (if youre not being tested on them in your lessons already). For reading its a similar idea: vocab and grammar mainly. Surprise surprise past papers are important again! They're usually quite picky with what's accepted as an answer and what's not, so the more past papers you do the more you'll get used to what they're looking for.

That's mainly it, just make sure you start revision at an appropriate time (id recommend Easter holidays or February half term if you think you'll need a bit longer), basically use a variety of revision techniques to help you learn your stuff! If you want to, trial new techniques for your mocks, and if they work then keep using them - it's what mocks are there for!

Thank you very much!!

Good luck with Year 11 and your GCSEs! :h:
Ah ok, lets get started :biggrin::
Science: definitely print off your specifications so you know exactly what you need to know and what you don't, use revision guides and make notes/mind maps/flash cards from the information in them - basically reduce what they'd fit into a page into more concise notes or onto a couple of revision cards or something's along those lines. Also do plenty of past papers to strengthen your exam technique (particularly on the dreaded QWC questions!) and check your understanding of content. You'll have to dedicate a fair bit of time to science!

Maths: past papers, past papers, past papers. You want to be cranking these out like there's no tomorrow. Go through the spec and make sure you know each topic well, and if you don't, practice them (websites like physicsandmathstutor or YouTube channels are very helpful for this!) until you're confident. Always analyse what went wrong after each past paper and strengthen your weaknesses.

English: Know. Your. Texts. Can't highlight the importance of this enough. Again past questions are important, but I found it was relatively easy to predict what questions would come up. Know about characters, themes and events for each chapter of your texts, and for poetry make sure you're prepared with good anthology notes! *just realised you'll be doing new spec so I'm not quite sure how it differs from what i sat*

Geography: know your case studies!!! Very important as a large proportion of your marks will come from this! Also make sure you know all the key definitions (flashcards are handy for this), key processes for the physical side of things are very important too. Past papers again are a must (think you're seeing a pattern here!) but learning content is more important. For case studies, tables are very handy for helping you group information together, I found it easier to recall in the exam if I'd put the information into a table when revising.

Further Maths: very similar to Maths really

French: I know this isn't really revision tips but make sure your controlled assessments are as good as possible! These make up a large chunk of your grade so you want them to be good. For listening exams, try to get yourself used to hearing the language being spoken (say radio or interviews etc) so that it's not a shock to you in the exam. Know your grammar rules so you know what to listen out for when someone's talking. Vocab learning is essential, my old German teacher told us that 7 is the optimal number of words to learn at once, I'm pretty sure you can find vocab lists once your exam boards website so just practice them every now and then (if youre not being tested on them in your lessons already). For reading its a similar idea: vocab and grammar mainly. Surprise surprise past papers are important again! They're usually quite picky with what's accepted as an answer and what's not, so the more past papers you do the more you'll get used to what they're looking for.

That's mainly it, just make sure you start revision at an appropriate time (id recommend Easter holidays or February half term if you think you'll need a bit longer), basically use a variety of revision techniques to help you learn your stuff! If you want to, trial new techniques for your mocks, and if they work then keep using them - it's what mocks are there for!

Thank you very much!!

Good luck with Year 11 and your GCSEs! :h:

oh my god, thank you so much for replying so quickly! This is so different from what i've been dong! I'm sure this will help. I'll keep following you're blog posts, theyre so supportive and your so smart. :PPP
oh my god, thank you so much for replying so quickly! This is so different from what i've been dong! I'm sure this will help. I'll keep following you're blog posts, theyre so supportive and your so smart. :PPP

Ah you're welcome! Hopefully it'll encourage you to make some good changes in your study habits :smile:
Oh thank you, means a lot! :h:
1/10/2016 - Evening update
Happy October everyone! 🎃🍁🍂
Apologies for the lack of updates...

Today I intended to get some homework done and possibly some more physics notes made, but it didn't happen at all because I've been far far too ill so I've just chilled all day in the hopes of being better by tomorrow. I actually haven't left my bed all day :tongue:

If I'm better tomorrow then I'll get all my homework done (got some maths, some further maths and 2 sets of physics to do) so I'm right back on top of everything. One of my homeworks for physics is to build a 3D model of a photon so we'll see how that ends up going hahaha

I've been talking a bit with my friends and it suddenly became obvious how great my subject choices were. I'm pretty sure I have the smallest out-of-lesson workload out of everyone :biggrin: I get around 3 pieces of homework a week compared to 5-6 that my friends get :tongue: maths is where the party's at!

Goodnight from my deathbed 😂 xo
1/10/2016 - Evening update
Happy October everyone! 🎃🍁🍂
Apologies for the lack of updates...

Today I intended to get some homework done and possibly some more physics notes made, but it didn't happen at all because I've been far far too ill so I've just chilled all day in the hopes of being better by tomorrow. I actually haven't left my bed all day :tongue:

If I'm better tomorrow then I'll get all my homework done (got some maths, some further maths and 2 sets of physics to do) so I'm right back on top of everything. One of my homeworks for physics is to build a 3D model of a photon so we'll see how that ends up going hahaha

I've been talking a bit with my friends and it suddenly became obvious how great my subject choices were. I'm pretty sure I have the smallest out-of-lesson workload out of everyone :biggrin: I get around 3 pieces of homework a week compared to 5-6 that my friends get :tongue: maths is where the party's at!

Goodnight from my deathbed 😂 xo

haha, i know what it's like when you're stuck with the winter (or fall) illness! I'm so sorry you've been feeling so rotten! I hope your feeling much better soon. And i feel the same about maths. all my friends are doing more creative subjects (we've already decided LOL :3) but we have a right laugh in my maths class. Get better soon! xoxo
haha, i know what it's like when you're stuck with the winter (or fall) illness! I'm so sorry you've been feeling so rotten! I hope your feeling much better soon. And i feel the same about maths. all my friends are doing more creative subjects (we've already decided LOL :3) but we have a right laugh in my maths class. Get better soon! xoxo

It's awful isn't it! Haha thank you, that's why I've fully taken today off from every responsibility - to try and get better quickly! It's good that you've made up your mind early, I changed my mind so much up until about March. Woohoo, I love maths :biggrin: thanks again! xo
It's awful isn't it! Haha thank you, that's why I've fully taken today off from every responsibility - to try and get better quickly! It's good that you've made up your mind early, I changed my mind so much up until about March. Woohoo, I love maths :biggrin: thanks again! xo

its no problem! Also, what is your favorite part of maths?
its no problem! Also, what is your favorite part of maths?

I'd say the satisfaction of getting a really hard question right is pretty good, but my all time favourite thing is finding patterns or links in things that just bring everything together and make you think "wow, that makes so much sense!". For example the other day I found out how the quadratic equation was derived, which I founded pretty interesting (I'm sad like that!) haha x

-Further Maths homework: 3 D1 algorithms exam questions
:smile:

Wow, you start off with D1 in Further Maths?
I'd say the satisfaction of getting a really hard question right is pretty good, but my all time favourite thing is finding patterns or links in things that just bring everything together and make you think "wow, that makes so much sense!". For example the other day I found out how the quadratic equation was derived, which I founded pretty interesting (I'm sad like that!) haha x

nice blog sis HAR HAR HAR
jks ur acc smart.
Original post by Chittesh14
Wow, you start off with D1 in Further Maths?

Yup, D1, then FP1, then D2 this year :biggrin:

Original post by GreenPineapples
nice blog sis HAR HAR HAR
jks ur acc smart.

What are you doing here
Yup, D1, then FP1, then D2 this year :biggrin:

What are you doing here

gonna start a thread innit
Are you resting today?
Yup, D1, then FP1, then D2 this year :smile:

Woah lol, good luck. My school is doing FP1, M1 and D1 in that order. It's good you're not doing FP1 last because it's the hardest, but dam D2 :angry:. Did your school choose those modules? I don't want to do D1 apparently it's getting harder and harder, not even 1 person in my school got an A in D1 lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending