The Student Room Group

Are 10 GCSE's enough for Oxbridge?

Hi, I want to drop GCSE PE but that would leave me with only 10 GCSE's - I feel that by dropping PE my other subjects may improve, but if having 10 not 11 GCSE's would be a disadvantage to an oxbridge application then I won't. Any advice?
Reply 1
You're at a disadvantage anyway, you need at least 15 GCSE's all graded A*!
Queens University Belfast Medicine degrees require 37 points at GCSE the higheat in the UK. No other courses appart from some dentistry are as strict.
Original post by Glib
You're at a disadvantage anyway, you need at least 15 GCSE's all graded A*!

Only 15 now, I'm sure college were saying 25 only last year
I got into Oxford with 10 so I'm sure that 10 isn't an issue as long as the grades are up to scratch.

To be honest they probably don't value GCSE PE that highly as a subject anyhow so you may be better dropping it if you'll do better in your others.*
Original post by lexren
Hi, I want to drop GCSE PE but that would leave me with only 10 GCSE's - I feel that by dropping PE my other subjects may improve, but if having 10 not 11 GCSE's would be a disadvantage to an oxbridge application then I won't. Any advice?

10 is, of course, enough.
That isn't true - they're just looking for A's and A*'s, and are more focused on your A Level or IB results.
Original post by lexren

It'll be fine just make sure you get A*'s in all of them; I'm not even joking either
Original post by lexren

They don't care about PE as long as least you have A/A* in the other 10.
Original post by lexren

As long as you don't one to do PE at uni and you think you can get 10 A*'s in others you should drop it. It is important to focus on your core subjects
of course it is, they couldn't care less about whether you have gcse pe or not
my friend did 9, got 8A*'s, 1 A, into oxford for medicine so dw about it
People can get in with 7 GCSEs or above, it usually depends on the grades you get for the selection you do
The number of GCSEs a person takes is more heavily dependent on their school's ability to timetable them than the student's ability. I did 9.5.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lexren

Ten is fine. Even for medicine, the subject with the most stringent GCSE requirements, the average number of GCSEs taken is only 10.8.

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

Getting A*s is much more important.
Reply 15
Original post by Anfanny
Queens University Belfast Medicine degrees require 37 points at GCSE the higheat in the UK. No other courses appart from some dentistry are as strict.

This is incorrect. For their medicine course, they mark GCSEs out of 36, based on the best 9 GCSEs. 37 isn't even possible. And doing 10 GCSEs is more than sufficient for this course since only 9 are marked.

Original post by lexren

10 GCSEs are fine. Quality over quantity!

Quick Reply

Latest