The Student Room Group

cat or dog person

should I get a cat or a dog ? reason for and against please !
Cog
Reply 2
Original post by hxfsxh
Cog

Are they available at pets at home ?
Original post by starbrace
should I get a cat or a dog ? reason for and against please !

This isn't something we can decide for you, getting a pet is a big responsibility! You've got to be prepared to look after it, spend money on it (food, toys, vets bills etc), take time out of your day for it (walking - if you get a dog, fussing and playing etc). Also consider whether your home is suitable for a cat or dog, both need space to roam around and explore, even indoor cats. Lifestyle is an important factor too, if you're going to be away from home a lot, then a cat may be a better choice than a dog as cats are generally more independent. You should get a pet because you like the animal and want to take care of it :smile:
Reply 4
Depends on your circumstances tbh. If you tend to be out throughout the day at work, uni etc for long hours then a cat would be better as they are with their own company and with other cats but dogs need to be walked and are generally, more needy but that isn't a bad thing if you have the time for them. If you don't have a big house or have a garden, then cats would be better then too. Dogs are better in a family home in my opinion when there is usually mostly someone home all or most of the time.

Both make great pets, I'm just more of a cat person myself ::p:p both are loving, despite what a lot of people say about cats being unable to show or feel love. Neither are too expensive to have but I would recommend insuring them and maybe keeping some money away in case of emergencies regarding them.

Whatever animal you go for, I would recommend that you check out your local animal shelter instead of going to breeders. RSPCA, Cats Protection etc have animals from kittens/puppies up to adult animals and the adoption fee is usually around £50 and for that you get the animal spayed if they haven't been already, they are protected against worms and fleas and the money from the adoption fee goes straight to looking after the rest of the animals in the shelter. I've adopted all my cats as well as dogs in the past and they were never 'damaged goods' like a lit of people seem to think animals in shelters are. As they say - adopt, don't shop :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by Leviathan1741
This isn't something we can decide for you, getting a pet is a big responsibility! You've got to be prepared to look after it, spend money on it (food, toys, vets bills etc), take time out of your day for it (walking - if you get a dog, fussing and playing etc). Also consider whether your home is suitable for a cat or dog, both need space to roam around and explore, even indoor cats. Lifestyle is an important factor too, if you're going to be away from home a lot, then a cat may be a better choice than a dog as cats are generally more independent. You should get a pet because you like the animal and want to take care of it :smile:

I love going out running so I guess a dog would like to come with me ? I go like two tims a day is that enough ?
Original post by starbrace
Are they available at pets at home ?

Possibly

Quick Reply

Latest