The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thaddeus bear
Hi, I would be grateful for advice: I had read there is a set quota of admissions of non-Scottish UK students and that there is a weighting that favours Scottish students at University of Edinburgh Medical School. Presumably this would make it a longer shot when applying if you're not from Scotland? Can anyone tell me if this is the case? Thanks

There is a quota I think but it's about 50/50 for Scottish and rest of U.K., although there's are less Scottish applicants so I guess it may be more competitive for us. I have heard that the general consensus is if you are Scottish you need 36 or 37/40 for a place but for rest of uk it is more 37 or 38.
Original post by isabella1999
I think your score should be fine, check if your total gets into the top octile for the last few years (though the interim average showed scores have increased a little) to see if you are likely to lose any points. Think you are likely to be the top or at least the second! I have really similar stats to you, assuming I have a full academic/UKCAT score so praying my PS doesnt let me down although teachers say it's good but still worried aha :frown:

thank you so much! i think my score will probably be the 2nd highest octile tbh, i should only lose 1 point for this? hopefully they like my personal statement, its so subjective its hard to tell if its good or not
Original post by emerj98_
thank you so much! i think my score will probably be the 2nd highest octile tbh, i should only lose 1 point for this? hopefully they like my personal statement, its so subjective its hard to tell if its good or not

It's fine :smile: even if it is, thats alright As it's only one or two points (think 1) and you got band 1 so that's all good. Yeah me too! Mine is quite academic so hopefully Edinburgh like that! What are your other choices??
Is a 650 UKCAT enough for Edinburgh?
Original post by ib_hopeful
Is a 650 UKCAT enough for Edinburgh?

Yes, there's no threshold
It's fine :smile: even if it is, thats alright As it's only one or two points (think 1) and you got band 1 so that's all good. Yeah me too! Mine is quite academic so hopefully Edinburgh like that! What are your other choices??

cardiff, glasgow, belfast and then my fifth is also edinburgh (medicinal and biological chemistry) what are yours ?
cardiff, glasgow, belfast and then my fifth is also edinburgh (medicinal and biological chemistry) what are yours ?

None in England? :frown: Cambridge, Edinburgh, Bristol and Birmingham and I don't have a 5th :smile:
None in England? :frown: Cambridge, Edinburgh, Bristol and Birmingham and I don't have a 5th :smile:

I'm irish hence the QUB, used to visit scotland lots so know i like it and then cardiff was just a strategic choice! I've been to cambridge but didn't apply as i dont want to sit the BMAT !!
I'm irish hence the QUB, used to visit scotland lots so know i like it and then cardiff was just a strategic choice! I've been to cambridge but didn't apply as i dont want to sit the BMAT !!

Oh cool! That's a good choice then, and neither really but forcing myself :frown:
Reply 109
Hey guys,

Hey guys,

Sorry for the inundation of yet more stats, but I'm a bit concerned about my SJT for Edinburgh - band 2. In terms of all the other stuff, I have 10A*s at GCSE, 4As at AS and predicted 4A*s, with 780 UKCAT, so I feel like that's all fine, I'm just a bit worried that if my SJT gives me 38 I kinda have to have a perfect personal statement and it certainly doesn't seem perfect at the moment :') in terms of ECAs/experience I have a decent amount: piano (and piano teaching), endurance running, a medical review conference thing, shadowing doctors for a couple weeks, 6 ish years helping at a pre school (although only for a couple of weeks each year) etc. Anyone got any ideas on whether the SJT woulld let me down?
Thanks a lot and good luck with your applications! :smile:
Dreamed of studying at Edinburgh but after bombing my UKCAT despite extreme hardcore revision, I don't think it's happening. All other aspects of application I am confident but so worried about my UKCAT as I am only in the 3rd decile. Someone kill me :/

There is an updated Selectors Handbook (and I assume another due out imminently):
http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files//mbchb_handbook_final.pdf

For those asking about Scottish v RUK applicants, figures are all here:
http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files/disclosure_of_information_-_sept_2016.pdf
Original post by katepw
Hey guys,

Hey guys,

Sorry for the inundation of yet more stats, but I'm a bit concerned about my SJT for Edinburgh - band 2. In terms of all the other stuff, I have 10A*s at GCSE, 4As at AS and predicted 4A*s, with 780 UKCAT, so I feel like that's all fine, I'm just a bit worried that if my SJT gives me 38 I kinda have to have a perfect personal statement and it certainly doesn't seem perfect at the moment :':wink: in terms of ECAs/experience I have a decent amount: piano (and piano teaching), endurance running, a medical review conference thing, shadowing doctors for a couple weeks, 6 ish years helping at a pre school (although only for a couple of weeks each year) etc. Anyone got any ideas on whether the SJT woulld let me down?
Thanks a lot and good luck with your applications! :smile:

As you said, you should have a full academic score thus far. Your band just means your PS has to be good. I am worried about this part too. Make sure you covered everything they say they look for :biggrin:
Reply 113
As you said, you should have a full academic score thus far. Your band just means your PS has to be good. I am worried about this part too. Make sure you covered everything they say they look for :biggrin:

Thanks for the reply, and fingers crossed for both of us! The good thing about early application is that it'll all be over soon, I guess!
I really like the look of Edinburgh! :smile:

Can anyone confirm how academics are scored for grads (is it purely on A Level/Access and degree?).

I have a 2.1 (achieved) and I'm predicted all distinctions (AAA) in my access course, which is approved. My A levels are all English and humanities based, hence the access course, so not sure if they'd be taking these into consideration also?
Original post by thtgreeneyedgirl
I really like the look of Edinburgh! :smile:

Can anyone confirm how academics are scored for grads (is it purely on A Level/Access and degree?).

I have a 2.1 (achieved) and I'm predicted all distinctions (AAA) in my access course, which is approved. My A levels are all English and humanities based, hence the access course, so not sure if they'd be taking these into consideration also?

The selectors handbook is 3 posts above yours
Original post by StationToStation
Thank you so much for the reply, I can't believe how kind and helpful you all are here on TSR! I actually took a pic of what you said about reflection so that I can get back to it when it isn't 1.35 AM :biggrin:

Have you been happy with the Edinburgh course by the way? And the city as a place to live? How has your time been divided between lectures/PBL/practicals? Do you feel like you've had enough support? How is the social side - do the students do a lot of things together and is it easy to make friends?

Sorry about this flood of questions... And thanks again!

Hi, so I got 11a*'s at gcse, 4a's at as level and I am predicted around 3a*'s and an a to full a level in chemistry, biology, physics and maths! Im a pretty well rounded individual (sport, music, fundraising, plenty of reflective work exp) but I only got 677 and band 1 in ukcat! I am a pretty boarderline applicant? Thank you so so much btw
Hi, so I got 11a*'s at gcse, 4a's at as level and I am predicted around 3a*'s and an a to full a level in chemistry, biology, physics and maths! Im a pretty well rounded individual (sport, music, fundraising, plenty of reflective work exp) but I only got 677 and band 1 in ukcat! I am a pretty boarderline applicant? Thank you so so much btw
Reply 118
Original post by hannahadamss

I reckon 677 is pretty decent! The Medic Portal released interim deciles for 2017 and 677 would put you in the top 30%, and given your academics, SJT and extra curriculars I think you'd be in with a good chance. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by GANFYD
The selectors handbook is 3 posts above yours

Thanks!

Latest