The Student Room Group

Would you prefer a soft or hard Brexit?

Like would you prefer a Brexit with continued membership of the single market that will require a continued free movement of people or would you prefer a hard Brexit with our own borders and no membership of the single market, which can negatively impact the economy?

I'm more of a hard Brexit fan, although I am aware of the possibly severe economic consequences that leaving the single market might cause, and it seems like Theresa May is looking to carry out a hard all out Brexit.

Scroll to see replies

Hard or soft (ehhh), Brexit isn't going to be easy for the working and lower middle class people. Me personally, I would rather not had an exit but the will of the people commands it. If I had a choice, I would go for a soft one as we don't really have a back-up plan if everything goes south.
There should be no "soft" or "hard" Brexit. Brexit is Brexit, let's keep it that way.
Reply 3
If Norway is soft and Canada is hard then what i want is Canada but with opt in to various schemes and semi-free movement for current members.

What i want is out of the ECJ, out of the ECHR, out of CAP, out of CFP, out of double digit contributions, out of trade restrictions and out of several components of free movement (but not a points or permit system - i do support free(ish) movement).
Hard Brexit. Dynamite the Channel Tunnel.

But seriously, a 'soft' Brexit almost defeats the point, doesn't it? The UK still won't have control over its borders, as every sovereign nation should. The UK will still have to adhere to regulations that arent in its interests. You'd still more-or-less be in the EU, just without the flag.

Brexit means Brexit, not 'sorta Brexit.' Have some balls.
Original post by squish562
Like would you prefer a Brexit with continued membership of the single market that will require a continued free movement of people or would you prefer a hard Brexit with our own borders and no membership of the single market, which can negatively impact the economy?

I'm more of a hard Brexit fan, although I am aware of the possibly severe economic consequences that leaving the single market might cause, and it seems like Theresa May is looking to carry out a hard all out Brexit.

Any Brexit which involved the deportation of millions of immigrants which are from alien cultures and are not integrated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Its not up to Britain to decide either way, the EU has the whiphand we have to take what we are given by the EU.
A 'soft' brexit is basically just leaving the EU officially but still adhering to the rules. I'd rather have no brexit at all or even 'hard' brexit.
A soft brexit. A hard brexit is ridiculously reckless
Original post by Dandaman1

But seriously, a 'soft' Brexit almost defeats the point, doesn't it? The UK still won't have control over its borders, as every sovereign nation should. The UK will still have to adhere to regulations that arent in its interests. You'd still more-or-less be in the EU, just without the flag.

100% agree with you. We need a hard Brexit.
Question as in OP is pretty loaded, but very much the "harder" end.
Whilst I heavily oppose brexit and will still be a huge 'bremain' supporter, I respect the decision and hope that we get a 'hard' exit from the EU. People who voted leave probably voted because they want control of boarders, so it's only right that a hard exit from the EU is present, allowing us to control our boarders - we can set up trade and don't need the free market, we survived before it so we can continue to survive (hopefully)..

Spoiler

Sunny side up!
Reply 13
Soft, please. I fully accept the result, but it was also narrow and encompassed a range of views on the Leave side. While I think we certainly do need to assert our sovereignty, make some change in terms of immigration and so on, I still maintain the fundamentals of the Single Market are pretty sound and want to retain them.

I don't think that's really credible at this stage, however. If anything, we're definitely going down the road of - at least - a medium-Brexit.
Title sounds like a euphemism.
Reply 15
Original post by Lollypop100
Any Brexit which involved the deportation of millions of immigrants which are from alien cultures and are not integrated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wishful thinking
Original post by WoodyMKC
Title sounds like a euphemism.

Soft

Hah,exactly what came to my mind
Considering no one actually specified what "Brexit" means beforehand, anything is a go.
Original post by Rakas21
If Norway is soft and Canada is hard then what i want is Canada but with opt in to various schemes and semi-free movement for current members.

What i want is out of the ECJ, out of the ECHR, out of CAP, out of CFP, out of double digit contributions, out of trade restrictions and out of several components of free movement (but not a points or permit system - i do support free(ish) movement).

ECHR is NOTHING to do with the EU.
Original post by Dandaman1

It doesn't defeat the point at all. The question on the ballot paper was not 'should the uk end free movement' or 'should the uk get rid of xyz regulation'. The question was simply about whether we should be a member of the EU. So long as we leave the EU as a member, it does not defeat the point.

* One could in fact argue, as Lib did, that since there result was close and 48% voted remain that a fair result would be a soft Brexit.*
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest