The Student Room Group

Imperial offer or not?

I need A*A*A for imperial and my current predictions are A*AA, my school is very tight on predictions, I was 3 UMS off my A* prediction in physics. Could I get an offer for Chemical Engineering with a strong reference and ps?

Doing maths, chemistry and physics, got 4 's as AS with an A in bio which I dropped.
1A* 7A's 2 B's at GCSE (pretty turd)
Given you aren't far off the offer now I would think it was worth applying. Try and get your teacher to explain in your reference you were only 3 UMS off the A* in Physics as well. As far as I know Imperial still interviews for Chemical Engineering so you can try and impress them there and explain your school is tight on predictions.

Imperial will know that schools predict grades in very different ways so if they are impressed with the rest of your application they shouldn't turn you down for being one grade off in a prediction. My school basically just asked us what grades we needed and they'd predict us that - but any university knows going from an E to an A is really unlikely so they won't take it too seriously!

You're allowed five choices, as long as you're pretty sure you can get the grades for the others you can use Imperial as an optimistic choice. You wouldn't want to regret not applying :smile:
Reply 2
I am in the same position as you, except i am applying for Aero engineering. I hope they give me a chance
Original post by Firefly13
Given you aren't far off the offer now I would think it was worth applying. Try and get your teacher to explain in your reference you were only 3 UMS off the A* in Physics as well. As far as I know Imperial still interviews for Chemical Engineering so you can try and impress them there and explain your school is tight on predictions.

Imperial will know that schools predict grades in very different ways so if they are impressed with the rest of your application they shouldn't turn you down for being one grade off in a prediction. My school basically just asked us what grades we needed and they'd predict us that - but any university knows going from an E to an A is really unlikely so they won't take it too seriously!

You're allowed five choices, as long as you're pretty sure you can get the grades for the others you can use Imperial as an optimistic choice. You wouldn't want to regret not applying :smile:

I guess I should bite the bullet and apply, praying my reference is on my side. I imagine they would give me the standard offer of A*A*A?
Original post by mahmzo
I am in the same position as you, except i am applying for Aero engineering. I hope they give me a chance

I get you, some schools just predict aimlessly. B to A*? Yeah, get the offer and then be surprised you didn't get it on results day....
Reply 5
Original post by BluntBluster
I get you, some schools just predict aimlessly. B to A*? Yeah, get the offer and then be surprised you didn't get it on results day....

I have heard someone got like CCC at AS and was predicted A*A*A* and got an offer. some schools are annoying
I guess I should bite the bullet and apply, praying my reference is on my side. I imagine they would give me the standard offer of A*A*A?

You can always ask your reference to include it? I'm sure they won't mind because it's the truth. If you really impress them at the interview they could give you a lower offer, but it will probably be the standard.

If you really want to go to Imperial then I think you should apply! I'm there now and I almost didn't apply because I didn't think they would accept me. It's not worth not applying because you don't think they'll accept you :smile:
I need A*A*A for imperial and my current predictions are A*AA, my school is very tight on predictions, I was 3 UMS off my A* prediction in physics. Could I get an offer for Chemical Engineering with a strong reference and ps?

Doing maths, chemistry and physics, got 4 's as AS with an A in bio which I dropped.
1A* 7A's 2 B's at GCSE (pretty turd)

Make sure your reference explains how close you were to an A*A*A prediction.

They do filter based on predicted grades http://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/chemical-engineering-department/chemical-engineering/ but you should contact them directly to check whether they'll rule out applicants predicted slightly below their standard offer.
It's worth a go but I wouldn't bank on it.

Quick Reply

Latest