The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by isabella1999
I couldn't do it and didn't want to ramble or sound cliché so I just said about technology and advancements, gave examples and how they have saved lives and said how it's constantly changing, need to always keep learning snd how I want to be part of this while helping people (Not that exact phrasing and cringe but general gist)

That's a sound idea to have in your ps.
Original post by Bright_Gift
That's a sound idea to have in your ps.

Aha thanks! It was so hard to write though so glad its nearly over, meetings eith careers advisor on Monday to finalise references and send it off, scary
Would it be a stupid decision to apply to UCL with 1A*,7A's and 3B's at GCSE? I kinda failed my UKCAT so I'm looking at BMAT universities now. UCL sounds amazing and I meet their entry requirements but does UCL give a lot of importance to GCSE'S??
Original post by Gogregg
It will never be 800. Look at the interim results where the top decile is around 700, and look at the previous cut-off scores. Only when the overall average was really inflated due to one section having an average score over all test-takers of 770, was the cut-off score higher than 700. Even then it was only a cut-off of 750, so it will never be 800.

Don't listen to their scaremongering, because it will never be that high!

I really hope not but it's a strong possibility that it's possible!! Don't think i'm gonna take the risk of applying there which is just so depressing!!!! 10 people of my school wont apply there cuz the ukcat cut off is gonna be sooo high this year for newcastle. do you recommend anywhere ele?
Original post by linaaa1123
I really hope not but it's a strong possibility that it's possible!! Don't think i'm gonna take the risk of applying there which is just so depressing!!!! 10 people of my school wont apply there cuz the ukcat cut off is gonna be sooo high this year for newcastle. do you recommend anywhere ele?

IT IS NOT GOING TO BE THAT HIGH!

Look at the interim results! It is not a risk!
A score of 800 would be only the top ~1% of all people taking the UKCAT. It is completely unrealistic to expect it to be that high, when, as I explained, the year when averages actually were inflated, the cut-off was 750. It will not be that high again. so please, stop worrying so much about it.

If you want to apply there, then apply. You do have a good chance.

With your UKCAT score, KCL, Southampton and Sheffield would be good choices.
Just sent my application away to Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh and Glasgow! Has anyone else applied yet and if so where to??
Hi guys, I have 6A*s 4As and 1B(in french)
AS levels:AAAA
A level predictions: A*A*A* for bio, chem and maths
UKCAT: 673 average
I've got a decent personal statement with a lot of experience: India hospital, GP surgery, Hospice and England Hospital
I'm thinking of applying to Hull york, liverpool, Leicester and one other uni.
Are these Unis ok to apply to and what 4th university should i apply to. Thanks
Hi, my grades are
GCSE: 12A*s (though two were taken in year 10 if that makes any difference?)
AS: 4A (Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths)
A Level: predicted 3 A*s (Biology, Chemistry and Maths)
Average UKCAT score of 773 (700 in VR, 720 in AR and 900 in QR) and band 1 in SJT
I've got quite a lot of work experience as well on my personal statement (Hospital, Hospice and care home volunteering, and also I've spent some time shadowing.)

I'm thinking of applying to Nottingham, Birmingham, Leicester and Cambridge. Is this a sensible choice and is there anywhere else that I should consider?
Thank you!
Original post by Gogregg
START OF YEAR 12:

I was wondering where a medicine applicants 2017 thread would be :colondollar:

I got 7A* 3A (Including English lit and lang :frown:) and 1B (drama, lol) in my GCSEs and I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Biology Chemistry and Physics. Predicted 4A* 1A for A2 (A in maths :colonhash:) Although, at this rate I may drop Physics before taking it at AS, definitely will drop it afterwards.

My GCSE's aren't ideal (damn English grades!) but they are good, so I'm happy about that, but it means I can't apply to some universities...

I don't have any work experience (as of yet) but I find it amazing that some universities ask for at least 2 weeks of it (Do all of them ask that, or just some, because it is so difficult, especially for people born in summer like me...), and also, what counts as work experience?

In terms of extra curricular, I do babysitting from time to time, I volunteer at a local charity shop for two hours every week and have been doing so for almost 2 years, I volunteer with Revive through my school (a charity which helps with asylum seekers, giving them a friendly face, helping them to live in England, and teaching them English (I haven't actually gone to the centre due to FMaths, but they don't need to know that? Right? :colondollar:))

I'll also be doing DofE Gold (Hopefully :u:)

I'm currently hoping to apply to Keele, but I'm still not really sure, and haven't done enough research on the universities...

END OF YEAR 12:

Okay, so now that I've got everything else that matters for application, here's what I got:AS Levels - AAAA In Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry (Dropped Physics at Christmas - found it dull and I thought it would drag my grades down, since I was not motivated to revise it at all)Predicted A Levels - A*A*A* (I think, lol) I've dropped Further Maths as, even though I really enjoy it, there was no point in continuing it on :redface:UKCAT - 2360 Band 1 (787 average)Work experience:

A day at Salford Royal Hospital, speaking to a consultant and getting shown around, getting an idea of what being in a hospital is like. Wasn't formal work experience, since I didn't actually take part in anything, I was just shown around, etc.

Not really work experience per se, but I did a few shifts on the hospital ward when I went to Lourdes over summer.

I work at a bar.

Volunteer Work:

at the time of application, I will have had 2.5 years at a charity shop (CRUK) working on the till.

at the time of application, I will have had 6 months at a care home.

NCS

I decided against DofE :smile:I'm thinking that I'm going to apply to Plymouth, Newcastle, UEA and BSMS, but I'm going to look at some of the Scottish universities next week, so we'll see what I think of them, and I've also been considering Barts and the London.

How did you do so well in the UKCAT??? thats amazing.
And how you so pro at A levels too. Einstein? is that you?
Original post by Gogregg
IT IS NOT GOING TO BE THAT HIGH!

Look at the interim results! It is not a risk!
A score of 800 would be only the top ~1% of all people taking the UKCAT. It is completely unrealistic to expect it to be that high, when, as I explained, the year when averages actually were inflated, the cut-off was 750. It will not be that high again. so please, stop worrying so much about it.

If you want to apply there, then apply. You do have a good chance.

With your UKCAT score, KCL, Southampton and Sheffield would be good choices.

loooooooooool i momentarily freaked out! So its basicaly likely that it could be a cut off of 750? damnnn.
Original post by bobwibbles
How did you do so well in the UKCAT??? thats amazing.
And how you so pro at A levels too. Einstein? is that you?

I think it was pure luck :lol:
But, if I'm honest, i was probably just well suited to the test, and i practiced in such a way that worked for me :h:

And I'm not an A level genius :colondollar:
I guess it helps that i keep myself busy, it forces me to do work when i can :lol:
Also, wasn't Einstein bad in school?

I'm actually taking an EPQ and General Studies A Level now, but I'll update my post when i send off my application :h:

loooooooooool i momentarily freaked out! So its basicaly likely that it could be a cut off of 750? damnnn.

No!

The cut off won't be 750!
It's difficult to predict, but it's most likely going to be somewhere in the region of 685-710, so you'll definitely be safe applying there :biggrin:
Original post by Gogregg
I think it was pure luck :lol:
But, if I'm honest, i was probably just well suited to the test, and i practiced in such a way that worked for me :h:

And I'm not an A level genius :colondollar:
I guess it helps that i keep myself busy, it forces me to do work when i can :lol:
Also, wasn't Einstein bad in school?

I'm actually taking an EPQ and General Studies A Level now, but I'll update my post when i send off my application :h:

No!

The cut off won't be 750!
It's difficult to predict, but it's most likely going to be somewhere in the region of 685-710, so you'll definitely be safe applying there :biggrin:

hmmm... i guess so? but actually one of the staff said that it'll be really high this year so i guess ill wait. thanks though!! I've actuallly got realy bad a level so im retaking. What advice do you have for the verbal/quant section on the ukcat cuz im pretty sure ill have to take a gap year
Original post by Gogregg
Your UKCAT is absolutely amazing, don't worry. I think you stand a good chance, but it always is difficult to say with Edinburgh since it is so competitive. Try for it anyway, since you stand a really good chance, as long as your PS is good also!

thank you so much! ill think ill risk it anyway, my other options are quite safe in terms of getting an interview so may as well
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm SOOOO FREAKIN UPSET THAT IT MIGHT BE 800!!! ******** lots of people have been talking about it, My scores 730 and i dunno what im gonna do. do you have any advice???

never. happening.

please be selective to what you listen to.

how can it be 800?
Look at the current national avgs.

you have a good ukcat score.
hmmm... i guess so? but actually one of the staff said that it'll be really high this year so i guess ill wait. thanks though!! I've actuallly got realy bad a level so im retaking. What advice do you have for the verbal/quant section on the ukcat cuz im pretty sure ill have to take a gap year

You must have misheard. They have no way of knowing the cut off until they've seen the scores of the applicants who apply. There is no indication so far that this is a year with a massively high average either.
The graduate cut off could possibly (and I mean possibly) be near the 750 mark but the undergrad one won't ever be that high.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys pretty urgent question as my application is going away this Monday:Which universities interview lots of applicants? I would like an interview and my stats are:Nat 5's/GCSE's = (Very strong)Highers/Year after Gcse's for english applicants = (very strong)Predicted AH/2 years after GCSE's = (hopefully very strong)UKCAT = BAD (unfortunately)Personal Statement= Really confident.I was considering Bristol but they seem to have MANY applicants and don't give that many interviews compared to the number of applicants. Don't really care which university but which one would I be most likely to receive interviews from? I want an interview as I feel this would hopefully be my strong point.
Hey Guys, this thread has been great so far! Where do you guys think I should apply, I'm a Scottish applicant so staying in Scotland would be ideal but I'm open to go elsewhere. Stats are as followsNat5/GCSE - 7AHighers AAAAB, possibly AAAAA, get my remark back tomorrow!Advanced Highers AAA (predicted)Work experience.Home visits with GP, 5 days in various dept at hospital, 2 days in Maxillofacial surgery.VolunteeringAt charity events, in a trauma Ward as a meal time helper and in centre for disabled adults both for a year.UKCAT 677 Band 2I really appreciate any advice thanks!
So I got 2A*s,4A,2Bs and a C, even if I got AAAA in maths, chemistry, physics and biology is Medicine of the cards for me? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blueribbons99
So I got 2A*s,4A,2Bs and a C, even if I got AAAA in maths, chemistry, physics and biology is Medicine of the cards for me? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depending on what the Bs and Cs are in, no.

I'm assuming you're currently in year 12, but, your A-Level predictions and UKCAT will be a lot more important to most universities. Your GCSEs aren't everything for Medicine.
Original post by Gogregg
Depending on what the Bs and Cs are in, no.

I'm assuming you're currently in year 12, but, your A-Level predictions and UKCAT will be a lot more important to most universities. Your GCSEs aren't everything for Medicine.

c was in PE and then I got a B in both of the English GCSEs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending