The Student Room Group

Am I lying on my UCAS form?

Hi guys,

Basically, I had to resit year 12 because I got really bad grades that year - CCEEU
So instead of carrying on, I decided to retake the year at a different school to do different a levels and got AABB.. As I am now applying for UCAS to study at Durham, Birmingham, Leeds, Sheffield and Aston with my A*AA predictions.
However, I am only putting the grades down that I got last year, so the AABB, do I have to put down the bad grades from two years ago, or can I just leave them out so that the university would not change their mind about me as they won't see them on the form?

Also, the a levels that I did bad in were Chemistry, maths and Biology (UEE), and I am applying for Business Management. At GCSE I got 2B's for Science (additional and core) and an A in maths.

What do I do?
Original post by prostheticzeta
Hi guys,

Basically, I had to resit year 12 because I got really bad grades that year - CCEEU
So instead of carrying on, I decided to retake the year at a different school to do different a levels and got AABB.. As I am now applying for UCAS to study at Durham, Birmingham, Leeds, Sheffield and Aston with my A*AA predictions.
However, I am only putting the grades down that I got last year, so the AABB, do I have to put down the bad grades from two years ago, or can I just leave them out so that the university would not change their mind about me as they won't see them on the form?

Also, the a levels that I did bad in were Chemistry, maths and Biology (UEE), and I am applying for Business Management. At GCSE I got 2B's for Science (additional and core) and an A in maths.

What do I do?

I'm not entirely sure but I think this is fine. Well done though, that's a massive improvement :biggrin: I'm at Sheffield currently :smile:
Hi guys,

What do I do?

Yes you have to declare everything from that year, otherwise your application is clearly fraudulent and looks much better than it should do
Reply 3
You've answered your own question. You've said you want to conceal grades so they won't make a decision based on them. That's fraud. So no, you can't hide that information.

You need to declare it. Bear in mind that they'll be able to deduce that you've taken an extra year anyway so they'll want to know what that was about. In your UCAS personal statement, just make sure you reflect on the experience and how it's affected you as a learner and you'll be fine. That's good reflective practice which is what most professions try to encourage. Show some maturity and they'll respect it. Your situation is not that uncommon and they probably will have seen something to this effect before. Just be honest.**
Reply 4
Hi guys,

What do I do?

You need to declare all grades.
Hi guys,

What do I do?

Read the declaration you make. they ask for a complete record of your results.

Is what you are doing giving them a complete record? Think about it.

Always read the declaration before signing it.
https://www.ucas.com/corporate/about-us/privacy-policies-and-declarations/ucas-declaration
Its up to you whether you comply with it.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm pretty sure you have to declare the bad grades too but tbh I don't think it should hinder you that much when they see them since you got really great AS grades this year :smile:
Original post by 999tigger
Read the declaration you make. they ask for a complete record of your results.

Is what you are doing giving them a complete record? Think about it.

Always read the declaration before signing it.
https://www.ucas.com/corporate/about-us/privacy-policies-and-declarations/ucas-declaration
Its up to you whether you comply with it.

Okay, I will do, thank you for letting me know
Original post by surina16
I'm pretty sure you have to declare the bad grades too but tbh I don't think it should hinder you that much when they see them since you got really great AS grades this year :smile:

I hope so! Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by giella
You've answered your own question. You've said you want to conceal grades so they won't make a decision based on them. That's fraud. So no, you can't hide that information.

You need to declare it. Bear in mind that they'll be able to deduce that you've taken an extra year anyway so they'll want to know what that was about. In your UCAS personal statement, just make sure you reflect on the experience and how it's affected you as a learner and you'll be fine. That's good reflective practice which is what most professions try to encourage. Show some maturity and they'll respect it. Your situation is not that uncommon and they probably will have seen something to this effect before. Just be honest.**

On my personal statement? Oh dear.. I just finished it all and everything :/ would have to talk to my tutors about this amend, but thanks!
Original post by claireestelle
Yes you have to declare everything from that year, otherwise your application is clearly fraudulent and looks much better than it should do

okay, this fills me with confidence, I will declare them, thanks!
Original post by Elastichedgehog
I'm not entirely sure but I think this is fine. Well done though, that's a massive improvement :biggrin: I'm at Sheffield currently :smile:

Apparently in the declaration it says that you have to put down all the grades... But thank you for the optimism haha :biggrin:
Apparently in the declaration it says that you have to put down all the grades... But thank you for the optimism haha :biggrin:

Aye, I was wrong, my bad :h:
Reply 13
On my personal statement? Oh dear.. I just finished it all and everything :/ would have to talk to my tutors about this amend, but thanks!

You don't need to discuss what happened in your PS. It should be looking forward not backwards :smile:
You MUST declare all your results. To do otherwise is fraud - something that both UCAS and the Unis take very seriously.

You cannot hide retakes. The Unis can see details of your existing results (UCAS gets sent these by the exam boards) and once you are discovered they can, and often do, withdraw offers.

If there are extenuating circumstances that explain your retakes, ask each Uni what their process is for notifying them of this. If they acceot the reasons, they can overlook the retakes.

Whatever you do, dont ever 'lie', or try and hide stuff from Unis or UCAS. It simply isnt worth it.
Original post by jneill
You don't need to discuss what happened in your PS. It should be looking forward not backwards :smile:

oh that is a relief :O cheers :P
Original post by returnmigrant
You MUST declare all your results. To do otherwise is fraud - something that both UCAS and the Unis take very seriously.

You cannot hide retakes. The Unis can see details of your existing results (UCAS gets sent these by the exam boards) and once you are discovered they can, and often do, withdraw offers.

If there are extenuating circumstances that explain your retakes, ask each Uni what their process is for notifying them of this. If they acceot the reasons, they can overlook the retakes.

Whatever you do, dont ever 'lie', or try and hide stuff from Unis or UCAS. It simply isnt worth it.

The last think I would is lie! I just never read the declaration bit so was unsure :P But thank you for sending me this.
Original post by jneill

Also, because of my past grades, do you think it's worth for me to apply for Durham? Or do you think they might straight on reject me because of that
Reply 18
Also, because of my past grades, do you think it's worth for me to apply for Durham? Or do you think they might straight on reject me because of that

I'm not an expert on Durham's requirements regarding retaken years. Sorry...

Quick Reply

Latest