The Student Room Group

Getting into Cambridge with bad GCSEs

I'm currently studying a-levels (year 1), and I'm looking at applying to Cambridge, Nottingham, Exeter, Surrey and Bath university next year. When I took my GCSEs I was ill and I didn't revise, which lead me to getting bad GCSEs grades. If I got high ums for my a-levels would it make up for this? Is it worth applying to Cambridge, or haven't I got a chance ?
I want to study physics/natural sciences (depending on the university)

At GCSE I got:
Maths- A (3 marks off an A*)
Science- A
Additional science- A
English language- A
English literature- B
Statistics- B
Design and technology (RM)- B
Computing- C
Art and design (fine art)- C

My a-levels are:
Maths,further maths,chemistry and physics
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unfortunately there is no UMS marks anymore for A-Level Physics and Chemistry. To apply to Cambridge you need to get 4 As in your AS exams, and you should be predicted at least 2 A* for A-Level since that's what their offer will be. Besides that, they really don't care - the interviews will be more important than GCSEs.
Reply 2
Original post by otah007
Unfortunately there is no UMS marks anymore for A-Level Physics and Chemistry. To apply to Cambridge you need to get 4 As in your AS exams, and you should be predicted at least 2 A* for A-Level since that's what their offer will be. Besides that, they really don't care - the interviews will be more important than GCSEs.

That is completely untrue.
Reply 3
Original post by otah007

No.
Reply 4
Original post by alow
That is completely untrue.

You won't get an interview with 4 Bs, that's for sure. You can apply all you want but there's no way they'll interview you on a B when they're looking for A*A*A at A-Level. They usually want at least 90 UMS, and an A is 80. See this page. Although they say you don't need 90%, you're not likely to get an offer.
Reply 5
Original post by otah007
You won't get an interview with 4 Bs, that's for sure. You can apply all you want but there's no way they'll interview you on a B when they're looking for A*A*A at A-Level. They usually want at least 90 UMS, and an A is 80. See this page. Although they say you don't need 90%, you're not likely to get an offer.

I didn't say they would but applicants have been interviewed with AABD and "worse".

And applicants do get offers (and admitted) with <90% average UMS. It's not common but certainly happens. It will also depend on the course.

Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 21.34.38.jpg
Reply 6
So my GCSEs won't have an impact on their decision to interview me, or not?
Reply 7
Original post by JessicaEMB

Yes they do, Cambridge just tend to favour high UMS and predicted grades whereas Oxford tend to focus more on GCSE.

Your GCSE still matter though, and with a lot of B's and C's you're at a disadvantage regardless
(edited 7 years ago)

Don't worry about GCSE. :wink:

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements/gcse-and-a-level-requirements-facts
Reply 9

They are of some relevance but not much. Do well in your Maths and any AS-levels and Admissions Assessments you take and it will help you a lot.

Original post by AfcFob
Yes they do, Cambridge just tend to favour high UMS and predicted grades whereas Oxford tend to focus more on GCSE

Oxford put a lot more emphasis on the PAT than GCSEs.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by jneill
They are of some relevance but not much. Do well in your Maths and any AS-levels you take and it will help you a lot.

Oxford put a lot more emphasis on the PAT than GCSEs.

God I know, Oxford put a HUGE emphasis on the tests... Part of the reason I went for BioSci as opposed to Biomed as I didn't want to have to take the BMAT. But in context of GCSE, Oxford tend to place greater emphasis on them than Cambridge
Original post by AfcFob
God I know, Oxford put a HUGE emphasis on the tests... Part of the reason I went for BioSci as opposed to Biomed as I didn't want to have to take the BMAT. But in context of GCSE, Oxford tend to place greater emphasis on them than Cambridge

God, it's you again........
Reply 12
Original post by otah007

I never said you would get an interview with 4 Bs, but you don't have to have 4 As either.

I'm well aware of what it takes to get into Cambridge thanks.
Reply 13

Your GCSEs are relevant but they won't by any means prevent you from getting an interview/offer if you do well in other parts of the application (AS results, the admissions exam, etc.).
Original post by alow
I never said you would get an interview with 4 Bs, but you don't have to have 4 As either.

I'm well aware of what it takes to get into Cambridge thanks.

i generally always see you in this forum attacking others for getting something wrong. Fix your attitude if you want to get somewhere in life.

To OP: Dont give up! Your GCSEs arent that bad and if you perform at AS, good PS etc etc i dont see why you couldnt get in. good luck :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by fksociety
i generally always see you in this forum attacking others for getting something wrong. Fix your attitude if you want to get somewhere in life.

To OP: Dont give up! Your GCSEs arent that bad and if you perform at AS, good PS etc etc i dont see why you couldnt get in. good luck :smile:

I think you'll find the word you are searching for is "correcting" not "attacking".

And @alow is a current Cambridge NatSci student so does know rather more than most about the topic at hand.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16

So correctly calling something untrue is attacking now... People spreading misinformation like what the person I replied to did could prevent someone who would do well at Cambridge from even applying.

Thank you, I will not give up now. Haha
Original post by jneill
I think you'll find the word you are searching for is "correcting" not "attacking".

And @alow is a current Cambridge NatSci student so does know rather more than most about the topic at hand.

Original post by alow
So correctly calling something untrue is attacking now... People spreading misinformation like what the person I replied to did could prevent someone who would do well at Cambridge from even applying.

I am referring to the tone you use on this site.

"I'm well aware of what it takes to get into Cambridge thanks." and many other examples are completely unnecessary and just outright rude.

Sure, people dont know how it works, you just need to correct them appropriately instead of being rude and self righteous.
Thank you, I will not give up now. Haha

Lol no never give up with your dreams

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending