The Student Room Group

Do any university graduates actually work at McDonalds?

Or an equivalent fast food restaurant taking orders from customers and preparing food?

I've heard a lot of things like "you better work hard at uni and get a good graduate job or you'll be working in McDonald's" or "don't do a liberal arts degree, you'll end up working at Burger King" but does anyone here actually know someone who has graduated from a university and ended up working in McDonald's or some other customer service job? Could you tell me what they did wrong at uni?
Original post by Ladbants
Or an equivalent fast food restaurant taking orders from customers and preparing food?

I've heard a lot of things like "you better work hard at uni and get a good graduate job or you'll be working in McDonald's" or "don't do a liberal arts degree, you'll end up working at Burger King" but does anyone here actually know someone who has graduated from a university and ended up working in McDonald's or some other customer service job? Could you tell me what they did wrong at uni?

If you've graduated why would you work at McDonalds?

Yes its a temp job to pay your bills until you get a grad job. Ive known grads work there. They dont have to have done anything wrong.
I know someone who worked there to save up for her masters. I don't think she did anything 'wrong' per say I just don't think she had a specific career plan in place
My sister did while she was at uni for a year, she then quit and found a job after uni.
McDonalds actually run a graduate scheme so I'd imagine some graduates must work there...
Reply 6

Original post by Oxidation
If you've graduated why would you work at McDonalds?

Extra experience perhaps? Getting a degree doesn't guarantee someone getting a job, employees also hire people with experience.

It's good to put on your CV, working in a fast-paced environment, working with customers, etc... I don't think many students made that their permanent job, but just as a temporary job for more experience.
Loads of freshie Indians. I know a few that became Mcmanagers while they were waiting for engineering positions.
Original post by UWS
Extra experience perhaps? Getting a degree doesn't guarantee someone getting a job, employees also hire people with experience.

It's good to put on your CV, working in a fast-paced environment, working with customers, etc... I don't think many students made that their permanent job, but just as a temporary job for more experience.

Yeah true I'd only do that during university.
(edited 7 years ago)
The KFC graduate scheme offers a package worth circa £30K during year 1... Mind-numbing job yes, but some people chase the buck...
I read a book a couple of years ago about a university professor from a management faculty who took jobs in McDonalds and Pizza Hut and stuff to learn all about it. I think his rationale was that it's easy to manage high-earning, self-motivated people; but managing demotivated staff on low pay must take more talent and he wanted to see if he had what it took
Original post by Trinculo
I read a book a couple of years ago about a university professor from a management faculty who took jobs in McDonalds and Pizza Hut and stuff to learn all about it. I think his rationale was that it's easy to manage high-earning, self-motivated people; but managing demotivated staff on low pay must take more talent and he wanted to see if he had what it took

Good point. I think people forget the way McDonalds revolutionised fast food processes... It may be based on a scientific management rationale, but the company is at the forefront of process optimization and standardisation - leading the way for and inspiring manufacturing set-ups across the globe.

Depending on the business function; it's not all clueless students working 16 hours a week...
I could never work for these places, would honestly rather be unemployed.

Like that Aldi grad schemes pays 70 odd grand after 4 years but it's not worth working for Aldi.
I know a few that graduated and work in equivalent customer service jobs.
There were numerous things I felt they did wrong:
-They studied subjects that had very little real-world applications (i.e. media studies or some LIBERAL ARTS subject).
-The job roles they were seeking didn't require a degree in the first place (the irrelevant degree had an opportunity cost attached to it, AND made the graduates come across as overqualified).
-The career they sought was in a field that many kids did as a hobby anyways, market was saturated.
-During and/or after completing their degree, they didn't supplement their portfolio with volunteering activities relevant to their degree subject.
-No sense of shame or self-worth: Studying some piddly degree because "it was fun INNIT!" or because it was easy.

MacDonalds/KFC work can support your studies but if you're still working there a few months after you graduated, boy did you waste three years. No matter how polite you want to be about it, there's no winning on this ya numpties:
Physics degree > Liberal arts degree
NO CONTEST.

Pick your degrees wisely!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MasterJack
No matter how polite you want to be about it, there's no winning on this ya numpties:

Physics degree > Liberal arts degree
NO CONTEST.

Pick your degrees wisely!

Well, people define success differently... This wouldn't be the case for someone seeking a recreational degree with different visions of success (favouring family and happiness over big money and a fulfilling career for example).
Reply 15
I'm graduated. Got my degree. I work I the kitchen at McDonald's. It... it isn't what I went to college for. I think I didn't really specialize enough. I have a lot of varied experience, but nothing really specific... no one but McDonalds was willing to hire me... forget having a social life and just intern everywhere you can.
I know many who work there and one of my close friends have recently got a job there.

I have just put in my application as a graduate also as I have been struggled to find any other jobs and I lack career direction. So, its a job to keep you on your feet whilst you look elsewhere.
Lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending