The Student Room Group

If in a biology textbook....

....written in the english language it says, "this process is called photosynthesis", does that mean the process is called photosynthesis in the english language and something different in other languages? Do you need to know the english name because science is published in english 99% of the time?

Also why don't they write, "this process is called photosynthesis in english", if they mean the process is called photosynthesis in english. Why do they write, "this process is called photosynthesis" instead.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
Bump
Reply 3
Bump
Reply 4
Bump
Reply 5
Well, because the textbook is written in English, they don't need to confirm that the word is in English.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by UWS
Well, because the textbook is written in English, they don't need to confirm that the word is in English.

So we assume they are telling us what the process is called in english, right?
Reply 7
Original post by rambapa
Bump

Please don't bump posts.
...wtf is this thread
Reply 9
Original post by jneill
Please don't bump posts.

sorry
Reply 10
Original post by rambapa
So we assume they are telling us what the process is called in english, right?

I don't think people assume what language it's in either, they usually just know. It's an English textbook, written for schools in England, where lessons are taught in English (except languages) so it's not going to be in any other language.

Unless it's a latin word, you would normally only need to know the English translation of the word, which they would tell you anyway.
Reply 11
Original post by UWS
I don't think people assume what language it's in either, they usually just know. It's an English textbook, written for schools in England, where lessons are taught in English (except languages) so it's not going to be in any other language.

Unless it's a latin word, you would normally only need to know the English translation of the word, which they would tell you anyway.

But doesn't it require an assumption?

There is more than one language in the world, and you are telling me what something is called. So either every language calls it that or only english calls it that, you have to assume, right?
Reply 12
Original post by rambapa

There is more than one language in the world, and you are telling me what something is called. So either every language calls it that or only english calls it that, you have to assume, right?

I think you are missing the point. The book is not written in other languages in the world. It is written in English, so you know that the book is going to be entirely in English. Sure, other countries may use different words for the same word, but that's not relevant because you're using an English textbook, so that's the word you should be using.
Reply 13
Original post by Rhaenys10
...wtf is this thread

Read the question :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by UWS
I think you are missing the point. The book is not written in other languages in the world. It is written in English, so you know that the book is going to be entirely in English. Sure, other countries may use different words for the same word, but that's not relevant because you're using an English textbook, so that's the word you should be using.

So let me get this straight....

1) You assume it's the english name, since the book is in english. The process is called most likely something different in other languages.

2) You need to know the english name, since the majority of science is written in english. Scientific journals aren't published in arabic or hebrew very much etc.
Reply 15
Original post by rambapa

A biology textbook written in French isn't going to say; the word in French is X, in English it's Y, in Urdu it's Z... It will simply use the word "photosynthèse" - i.e the word in French.

Why do you expect a textbook in English to caveat (that's Latin by the way) every technical word by saying this is what the word is in English but it might be different in other languages? It would have to that for every single word...

If you are sitting your Biology exam in a language other than English you will need to know the technical words in your own language.

Google Translate will give you the word in other languages.
Reply 16
Original post by rambapa

1) You assume it's the english name, since the book is in english. The process is called most likely something different in other languages.

Yes.

It's still irrelevant what it's called in other languages, though.

Original post by rambapa

2) You need to know the english name, since the majority of science is written in english. Scientific journals aren't published in arabic or hebrew very much etc.

Yes. You learn the terminology they give you, which would be in English.
Reply 17
Original post by jneill
A biology textbook written in French isn't going to say; the word in French is X, in English it's Y, in Urdu it's Z... It will simply use the word "photosynthèse" - i.e the word in French.

Why do you expect a textbook in English to caveat (that's Latin by the way) every technical word by saying this is what the word is in English but it might be different in other languages? It would have to that for every single word...

If you are sitting your Biology exam in a language other than English you will need to know the technical words in your own language.

Google Translate will give you the word in other languages.

Ok great, that helps a lot....

Reply 18
Original post by UWS
Yes.

It's still irrelevant what it's called in other languages, though.

Yes. You learn the terminology they give you, which would be in English.

But does everyone in the world learn the english name, given science being written in english 99% of the time?
Reply 19
Original post by rambapa
But does everyone in the world learn the english name, given science being written in english 99% of the time?

Other languages will have the translations in their language. They will use what is taught to them.

Quick Reply