The Student Room Group

Is Duke of Edinburgh relevant for GEM?

Hi all,

Quick question - writing my personal statement for graduate entry medicine (2017 entry) and I'm wondering whether DofE is even worth mentioning? I got the silver award but I wonder whether unis will think "Oh not another DofE mention"?

I know it's probably not worth agonising over as PS plays less of a role as a deciding factor for graduate entry anyway, but any suggestions would be appreciated!
I wouldn't dismiss the PS as different unis look at it differently and it is part of your application package. If you're applying for GEM surely you have lots of other more recent and relevant things to talk about than DoE which probably happened several years ago? I suggest leaving it out.
Original post by gingergirl1
Hi all,

Quick question - writing my personal statement for graduate entry medicine (2017 entry) and I'm wondering whether DofE is even worth mentioning? I got the silver award but I wonder whether unis will think "Oh not another DofE mention"?

I know it's probably not worth agonising over as PS plays less of a role as a deciding factor for graduate entry anyway, but any suggestions would be appreciated!

Like anything else that you mention on your PS, it has to answer the question "how does this show that I want to be a doctor?". If you think DofE can do that, then mention it.

When did you get the award, out of interest?
Reply 3
Thanks for the quick replies guys. I did it about 4 years ago now, and I was only going to mention it as I did a British Sign Language qualification as part of it (communication etc.)
Perhaps I should just mention the qualification on it's own?
Original post by gingergirl1
Thanks for the quick replies guys. I did it about 4 years ago now, and I was only going to mention it as I did a British Sign Language qualification as part of it (communication etc.)
Perhaps I should just mention the qualification on it's own?

Do you have anything more current to mention? DofE comes across as very stereotypically sixth form-y: not all that impressive when you've got a degree and all the experiences that come with it under your belt...

The BSL qualification is definitely something you could write about, so I'd just mention it on its own tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending