Hi guys!

Just finished the UKCAT!

VR:590
QR:830
AR:750
SJT: Band 2
Average:723

Last year I got 623 average so that was great!:smile:

In all honesty, the exam was much simpler than all of the mocks I did.

The VR passages were longer than all the mocks I did on Medify and the UKCAT official mocks, but the questions weren't too bad, but I still only got 590.

The QR was simpler than Medify mocks, but on par with the UKCAT official mocks.

The AR was simpler than the UKCAT official mocks, but there were a few questions that I had to guess and flag and never got back to.

I would like to say thank you to those on the forum giving tips and motivation before the exam and hopefully we all get into med school!:u:

Well Done that's a great score!! Where you thinking of applying?
When entering the UCAS PID on the UKCAT site, do you enter the number with dashes or without?
Original post by masterscientist2
Hi guys!

Just finished the UKCAT!

VR:590
QR:830
AR:750
SJT: Band 2
Average:723

Last year I got 623 average so that was great!:smile:

In all honesty, the exam was much simpler than all of the mocks I did.

The VR passages were longer than all the mocks I did on Medify and the UKCAT official mocks, but the questions weren't too bad, but I still only got 590.

The QR was simpler than Medify mocks, but on par with the UKCAT official mocks.

The AR was simpler than the UKCAT official mocks, but there were a few questions that I had to guess and flag and never got back to.

I would like to say thank you to those on the forum giving tips and motivation before the exam and hopefully we all get into med school!:u:

For QR, was there a lot of data to read or was it quite simple (e.g. A graph or table)

Posted from TSR Mobile
just finished !!!

700 AVG!

soooooo relieved!

VR: 590
QR: 690
AR: 820

Very pleased:smile:
Completely at devastated at how my ukcat went today. i got 583 average. is there anywhere at all i can apply to? or are my dreams of medicine completely over :frown: (I'm a graduate)*
Hi guys,

Took the UKCAT last week, got
VR: 790
QR: 890
AR: 690
SJ: Band 2

AVG: 790

I was thinking about applying to the 4 years at Newcastle and Warwick, and I know my UKCAT number score is above the usual cutoff, but do you think the SJ score being band 2 will prevent me from interview?
[QUOTE="confusedspecimen;67868814"]
Original post by Pawini
I sat my ukcat today, I did pretty decent with an 806 average:

QR: 830
AR: 800

But I got a band 3 in sjt 😞 is it all over? Do any schools actually take anyone with below band 2??

Oh my gosh what no way thats A M A Z I N G CONGRATS!!!!! Could I please ask if you have any tips on how to improve? How did you revise? What were the questions like in comparison to Medify?

I know that St George's, UEA and Southampton definitely take in with band 3- in fact most schools do because sjt isn't that seriously looked at!

I think medify questions are pretty similar but the 1000q book is so much harder, if you can do that comfortably you're well on your way to a 700+ score, shame I missed out the sjt in the book

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaela__
Check your email confirmation to see what to bring for the exam in terms of ID as if it's wrong then you can't sit the exam! So check you have the right ID and don't forget it!! You aren't allowed pens,water, or even a hoodie with you. So make sure you dress warm-ish! Basically just bring you and your ID! Make sure you drink a bit before hand and eat but not too much! Definitely go to the toilet before you start the test as that's one less thing to worry about 😂Any belongings you bring, you can put them into a locker there! Good luck!!! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didnt get a chance to thank you earlier so here it is- THANKS!
As for how they went, lets just say SJT confirmed I should be in a mad house lol. Got an average of 660 which seemingly on here is pathetic. Also you could consider me a re-sit applicant i got A*AAb first time (b in chemistry hence im doing it again and taking a new A-level, physcology from scratch on a one year course) so things not looking up atm lol, starting to regret turning down my biomed offer last year...
Finally done! Graduate applicant here!

So my average was 753.33 (VR 670, QR 890 and AR 700) and Band 1.

VR: Really gutted with my score. For my mocks I would average >700, and I got 830 in my last mock (Medify)! I really think to do well in VR you need to come in with a stable and calm mind, which I didn’t have lol..I was quite nervous, and the guy next to me, he was banging away on his keyboard and hearing the clicking of the keyboard really annoyed me and made me have to reread things again and again, so I ran out of time for the last 3 sets :frown: If this happens to you, please move somewhere else if you can! The texts were easy to read in my opinion!

QR: My best section, although my worst in the Mocks lol. Just be focused and do the calculations quickly! I made a mistake early on, so wasted time having to correct it so I ended up missing last two questions!

AR: HARD HARD HARD! Omg…I either do really good or really bad in AR lol (when it came to the mocks), so I am glad I didn’t do too bad despite finding it HARD…I felt there wasn’t really any easy patterns for me :frown: Maybe I was quite unlucky :frown:

Overall, I am glad I did well enough for grad medicine! A bit gutted that I didn’t get higher, but ah well!

My advice: Try and be as calm as possible it can make a huge difference! For VR, I read first and then answer questions (I know most people don’t do that, don’t change your technique now!). For AR, just remember SCANS and try your best (Can’t give much advice because it really depends on what you get)! For QR, make sure you’ve done enough practice questions on percentage change, averages and pie charts!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by carbon_
Finally done! Graduate applicant here!

So my average was 753.33 (VR 670, QR 890 and AR 700) and Band 1.

VR: Really gutted with my score. For my mocks I would average >700, and I got 830 in my last mock (Medify)! I really think to do well in VR you need to come in with a stable and calm mind, which I didn’t have lol..I was quite nervous, and the guy next to me, he was banging away on his keyboard and hearing the clicking of the keyboard really annoyed me and made me have to reread things again and again, so I ran out of time for the last 3 sets :frown: If this happens to you, please move somewhere else if you can! The texts were easy to read in my opinion!

QR: My best section, although my worst in the Mocks lol. Just be focused and do the calculations quickly! I made a mistake early on, so wasted time having to correct it so I ended up missing last two questions!

AR: HARD HARD HARD! Omg…I either do really good or really bad in AR lol (when it came to the mocks), so I am glad I didn’t do too bad despite finding it HARD…I felt there wasn’t really any easy patterns for me :frown: Maybe I was quite unlucky :frown: Overall, I am glad I did well enough for grad medicine! A bit gutted that I didn’t get higher, but ah well!

My advice: Try and be as calm as possible it can make a huge difference! For VR, I read first and then answer questions (I know most people don’t do that, don’t change your technique now!). For AR, just remember SCANS and try your best (Can’t give much advice because it really depends on what you get)! For QR, make sure you’ve done enough practice questions on percentage change, averages and pie charts!

Amazing score. Really well done.
My worst nightmare is noise - it's so off-putting for VR, earplugs at the ready!
Original post by ASupertramp
Amazing score. Really well done.
My worst nightmare is noise - it's so off-putting for VR, earplugs at the ready!

Same...I get easily distracted with noise and I am positive it affected my VR score :frown: The guy next to me was probably doing QR hence he was typing away. If this happens to you, ask them if you could move. I wish I did lol...it makes you lose track of where you are and it is just simply annoying!

Earplugs didn't help..they have headphones too (the big ones)..but it can be annoying having them on if you aren't used to the feeling (which is why I didn't opt for it).

And thank you! Good Luck with yours!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SirHugo
Hi guys,

Took the UKCAT last week, got
QR: 890
AR: 690
SJ: Band 2

AVG: 790

I was thinking about applying to the 4 years at Newcastle and Warwick, and I know my UKCAT number score is above the usual cutoff, but do you think the SJ score being band 2 will prevent me from interview?

Definitely not!
Original post by carbon_
Same...I get easily distracted with noise and I am positive it affected my VR score :frown: The guy next to me was probably doing QR hence he was typing away. If this happens to you, ask them if you could move. I wish I did lol...it makes you lose track of where you are and it is just simply annoying!

And thank you! Good Luck with yours!!!

I didn't realise you could ask to move, that's useful.
Thanks, it's first thing in the morning. Going to treat it as another mock (easier said than done).
Dreading QR.
I didn't realise you could ask to move, that's useful.
Thanks, it's first thing in the morning. Going to treat it as another mock (easier said than done).
Dreading QR.

I can't confirm if you are allowed to move or not (because I never asked)..but hopefully they will! It really depends on the person in charge! Just make sure you don't have a computer next to someone lol!

That is what I tried to do..haha!

QR in the real exam is definitely easier than in the mocks! :smile:
Original post by carbon_
I can't confirm if you are allowed to move or not (because I never asked)..but hopefully they will! It really depends on the person in charge! Just make sure you don't have a computer next to someone lol!

That is what I tried to do..haha!

QR in the real exam is definitely easier than in the mocks! :smile:

I'll give it a go if I'm near anyone judged to be a noise threat!
At this point I'd like to get it over and done with. Where are you applying?
I'll give it a go if I'm near anyone judged to be a noise threat!
At this point I'd like to get it over and done with. Where are you applying?

I totally understand...I kept rescheduling because I was always too nervous to do the real thing! But it will be over in a flash once you start!

Hmm...for the moment: Cambridge, Warwick, King's and Southampton! Wbu? Are you a grad applicant too?
Original post by carbon_
I totally understand...I kept rescheduling because I was always too nervous to do the real thing! But it will be over in a flash once you start!

Hmm...for the moment: Cambridge, Warwick, King's and Southampton! Wbu? Are you a grad applicant too?

I rescheduled once. Was meant to be last Thursday but something came up at work.
Grad applicant. Only applying to Warwick/Newcastle due to non-science degree.

GAMSAT prep for March if tomorrow doesn't go well.
I rescheduled once. Was meant to be last Thursday but something came up at work.
Grad applicant. Only applying to Warwick/Newcastle due to non-science degree.

GAMSAT prep for March if tomorrow doesn't go well.

Good luck! Try and be positive! If you have any more questions, just send me a PM and I will try and answer it as best as I can :smile:
Original post by carbon_
Good luck! Try and be positive! If you have any more questions, just send me a PM and I will try and answer it as best as I can :smile:

Cheers, I'll update tomorrow.
Original post by PointDexter
Didnt get a chance to thank you earlier so here it is- THANKS!
As for how they went, lets just say SJT confirmed I should be in a mad house lol. Got an average of 660 which seemingly on here is pathetic. Also you could consider me a re-sit applicant i got A*AAb first time (b in chemistry hence im doing it again and taking a new A-level, physcology from scratch on a one year course) so things not looking up atm lol, starting to regret turning down my biomed offer last year...

No worries! Well done though 660 is a good score which still leaves you with plenty of options! Well it's all worth it for the end goal of medicine 😋

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending