The Student Room Group

Do you need a good UKCAT to go to a good Uni?

Really want to do medicine.
Original post by zak7399

Why what did you get?
Also no you can do the BMAT too.
Reply 2
Original post by WhoDaresWins
Why what did you get?
Also no you can do the BMAT too.

Not very good:frown: Messed up on timing so guessed many q's.
Original post by zak7399
Not very good:frown: Messed up on timing so guessed many q's.

If it makes you feel any better, a lot of would-be doctors get less-than ideal scores on the UKCAT. I had mine today and I also messed up on my timing and scored the lowest VR I've ever had (550!) - in mocks and on Medify it was by far my best section. I came out with 640 altogether :frown: with my best section being QR (usually my worst!).

The Medic Portal have a post up about where to apply with lower than expected scores:

https://www.themedicportal.com/medical-schools-to-apply-to-with-a-low-ukcat-score/

They also have a post on where to apply with a score between 6-650. Hope this helps and you could also sit the BMAT to open up more unis. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by zak7399

Hey there. Different universities use the UKCAT in a various ways, meaning that it is wise to apply to your strengths. Should you achieve a good UKCAT, it may be a good idea to apply to medical schools that put emphasis on it during interview selection. If not, there are a other universities where additional criteria are weighted (such as GCSEs, personal statement).

Oh, and you've probably heard this many times, but all medical schools are accredited to a standard, and hence a Medicine degree is a Medicine degree in the UK :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by thtgreeneyedgirl
If it makes you feel any better, a lot of would-be doctors get less-than ideal scores on the UKCAT. I had mine today and I also messed up on my timing and scored the lowest VR I've ever had (550!) - in mocks and on Medify it was by far my best section. I came out with 640 altogether :frown: with my best section being QR (usually my worst!).

The Medic Portal have a post up about where to apply with lower than expected scores:

https://www.themedicportal.com/medical-schools-to-apply-to-with-a-low-ukcat-score/

They also have a post on where to apply with a score between 6-650. Hope this helps and you could also sit the BMAT to open up more unis. :smile:

Thank you:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Amedic
Hey there. Different universities use the UKCAT in a various ways, meaning that it is wise to apply to your strengths. Should you achieve a good UKCAT, it may be a good idea to apply to medical schools that put emphasis on it during interview selection. If not, there are a other universities where additional criteria are weighted (such as GCSEs, personal statement).

Oh, and you've probably heard this many times, but all medical schools are accredited to a standard, and hence a Medicine degree is a Medicine degree in the UK :wink:

Thank you:smile: And yeah that's true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending