The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

I too got 583, it seems i underestimated the test. its hard as heck! bye bye 2017 entry.
Hi guys, I was wondering if i have any chance at applying for medicine.
Predicted grades:
Chemistry: A
Maths: A
Biology: B
UKCAT Score:
VR: 540
QR:720
AR: 580
SJ:Band 2
I'm able to apply for foundation medicine as well.
Original post by michaela__
No worries! Well done though 660 is a good score which still leaves you with plenty of options! Well it's all worth it for the end goal of medicine 😋

Posted from TSR Mobile

How was yours? Where are you planning to apply to? Are you a GEM?
Original post by PointDexter
How was yours? Where are you planning to apply to? Are you a GEM?

I did mine a bit ago and got 667 average band 1. I'm doing A-Levels and applying to Manchester, Liverpool, St George's, and Plymouth!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ellen111
Completely at devastated at how my ukcat went today. i got 583 average. is there anywhere at all i can apply to? or are my dreams of medicine completely over :frown: (I'm a graduate)*

Tbh i haven't done my research into graduate unis, but I'm sure you'd find some that you have a chance, make sure you call them over and over again until you get answers.
If not you have the options of which would be to do gamsat/bmat, try again and do UKCAT next year while you get a job with your degree (this will ensure that you don't waste another year).
Last resort is go abroad to like Czech, romania, bulgary or even ITALY! I know the thought of it can be dodgy, but you still end up being a doctor in the UK. If money is an issue. some places in romania are like 3 grand a year!
Original post by carbon_
Finally done! Graduate applicant here!

So my average was 753.33 (VR 670, QR 890 and AR 700) and Band 1.

VR: Really gutted with my score. For my mocks I would average >700, and I got 830 in my last mock (Medify)! I really think to do well in VR you need to come in with a stable and calm mind, which I didn’t have lol..I was quite nervous, and the guy next to me, he was banging away on his keyboard and hearing the clicking of the keyboard really annoyed me and made me have to reread things again and again, so I ran out of time for the last 3 sets :frown: If this happens to you, please move somewhere else if you can! The texts were easy to read in my opinion!

QR: My best section, although my worst in the Mocks lol. Just be focused and do the calculations quickly! I made a mistake early on, so wasted time having to correct it so I ended up missing last two questions!

AR: HARD HARD HARD! Omg…I either do really good or really bad in AR lol (when it came to the mocks), so I am glad I didn’t do too bad despite finding it HARD…I felt there wasn’t really any easy patterns for me :frown: Maybe I was quite unlucky :frown:

Overall, I am glad I did well enough for grad medicine! A bit gutted that I didn’t get higher, but ah well!

My advice: Try and be as calm as possible it can make a huge difference! For VR, I read first and then answer questions (I know most people don’t do that, don’t change your technique now!). For AR, just remember SCANS and try your best (Can’t give much advice because it really depends on what you get)! For QR, make sure you’ve done enough practice questions on percentage change, averages and pie charts!

Congrats on your score! I just wanted to know, how competitive is graduate medicine compared with undergraduate? like what are the UKCAT cut off scores?
Original post by Jackster556
Well Done that's a great score!! Where you thinking of applying?

Thanks! I honestly have no idea where I am applying yet as it all depended on my UKCAT. I'm going to research today and pick my options. Have you done your UKCAT yet? If so, where are you applying?
Original post by jbman690
I too got 583, it seems i underestimated the test. its hard as heck! bye bye 2017 entry.

Not bye bye, just do BMAT :smile:
Original post by MCMXCVIII
For QR, was there a lot of data to read or was it quite simple (e.g. A graph or table)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry for the late reply! There were mostly tables and one or two graphs and they weren't too wordy either so it was fine. Good luck with your UKCAT!
Original post by Mathsmad123
Congrats on your score! I just wanted to know, how competitive is graduate medicine compared with undergraduate? like what are the UKCAT cut off scores?

Thank you! Graduate medicine is a lot more competitive unfortunately..due to the lack of places! Warwick is the biggest graduate medical school, with ~ 150 intakes..I think most other places are far far lower..like King's is like 20-30?

For graduate medicine, I think >700 is what you should be aiming for! Not sure about cutoffs because it depends on averages and it changes year to year! I think the averages will be released this Friday!

There have been cases were people have been getting interviews when their scores was lower than cutoff but it really depends on the university and how close they were to the cutoff! Warwick I know puts a lot of emphasis on VR - so that definitely needs to be higher than the average..and I think their cutoff last year was 700.
Original post by Lostperson
anyone know where i can apply with

UKCAT 700
Birmingham: Biomed 2:1
University of Oxford: MSc (62%)

Can i ask why you did two degrees?
Your stats are really good and plenty of places will accept u
Original post by ellen111
Completely at devastated at how my ukcat went today. i got 583 average. is there anywhere at all i can apply to? or are my dreams of medicine completely over :frown: (I'm a graduate)*

just do the bmat
Original post by ThrowawayMike
Nice score, along with a 100 point improvement. Would flagging have helped at all in VR? How would you suggest I use my final prep time, with my test being tomorrow?

Hi,

I really think that flagging would have helped! There were easier questions throughout, but I spent a lot of time on some questions which slowed me down a lot, but I still managed to answer all the questions, even if it meant guessing the last few.

On the day before, I just practiced a lot of QR and AR, but only a little VR because I knew that if I did better in QR and AR and reasonably in VR then I would be fine.

Good luck with your UKCAT!!!
Original post by YouHaveProblems
Can i ask why you did two degrees?
Your stats are really good and plenty of places will accept u

I did one undergrad degree and one MSc...I sort of didn't want the year out to be empty so did a MSc at Oxford ...

are you a grad ?
Original post by Mathsmad123

Newcastle UKCAT Cut off 2016
GEM - 720
A100 - 682.5
Thank you to everyone who replied to my earlier post. I not really sure what happened today as in my mocks I was doing well and getting averages above 700. The vr and ar sections today were so strange especially ar where I genuinely thought I was picking the right answers throughout and got 550 in that section, when it's always been my best section. I did ran out of time and had to guess the last 3 shapes which must have cost me by the looks of it.*
Does anyone know if there are any 5 year med courses that put more weighting on GCSEs or don't have a cut off for the UKCAT? I really want to try my luck and apply this year even though I know my chances are slim. Sorry for the long post guys and all the best to everyone else who still has theres to do, if it's any consolation you're deffo gonna do better than me haha *
There's no point of me doing bmat since i have a relatively bad set of gcse grades(only 3 A*'s). And most bmat unis have strong gcse applicants.
Original post by masterscientist2
Thanks! I honestly have no idea where I am applying yet as it all depended on my UKCAT. I'm going to research today and pick my options. Have you done your UKCAT yet? If so, where are you applying?

Hi I'm a Scottish candidate and I got 743 avg with Band 2 Situational. Also got a good set of highers.
I'm applying to Glasgow, Edinburgh and St Andrews. Wondering if band 2 will hold me back at all.
Just did UKCAT today.

510 VR :/
790 QR
720 AR
band 2

shocking VR and disappointing SJT

was thinking about kings with that, any thoughts?

is there any poll where i could put my results and compare?
Original post by Jackster556
Hi I'm a Scottish candidate and I got 743 avg with Band 2 Situational. Also got a good set of highers.
I'm applying to Glasgow, Edinburgh and St Andrews. Wondering if band 2 will hold me back at all.

Hi there,
Glasgow do not consider SJ in selection (they mentioned it at the open day) so you would have such a great chance there! Edinburgh do, but your average is fantastic (congratulations on such a high score) and it just means making the rest of your application as strong as possible. St Andrews I'm not sure about as I am not applying there (Im a Scottish Candidate also) but I think they use cut offs in the high 600s so again and dont seem to be that fussy over SJ (someone please correct me if I am wrong) so thats another strong application for you :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending