The Student Room Group

Would it worth doing an extra A-level after i'd finished sixth form?

I'm thinking of doing an extra A-level in politics after i leave year 13. Politics is something i'm really passionate about and i spend pretty much all my free time studyng it so i think i could probably do pretty well at it. I'm thinking of doing this as a back up plan just in case my A-levels aren't as high as i'd hoped (say ABB). Would it be worth doing to get my grades up to A*ABB or would unis not really look at me any differently?

I'd be doing the opencollege politics and government A-level course.
(edited 7 years ago)
well sadly im a maths-ey guy so im not experienced with politics but talking a gap year can be good for ur personal statement i believe. If your A-levels don't go brilliantly you can do exactly as you said. Study it the year after, uni's wouldn't look at you differently as long as you said in ur personal statement how passionate you are towards politics, to the point where you took a gap year purely for that (not for lazy reasons)
Reply 2
Original post by Toasticide
well sadly im a maths-ey guy so im not experienced with politics but talking a gap year can be good for ur personal statement i believe. If your A-levels don't go brilliantly you can do exactly as you said. Study it the year after, uni's wouldn't look at you differently as long as you said in ur personal statement how passionate you are towards politics, to the point where you took a gap year purely for that (not for lazy reasons)

Do you think it'd be better to move schools and do a politics A level now? It'd be kinda inconvenient but i'll do it if i have to.
Original post by MadWolf
Do you think it'd be better to move schools and do a politics A level now? It'd be kinda inconvenient but i'll do it if i have to.

Hmmm that's a tough choice....
If politics is purely a backup if your normal A levels go kapp putsch then i think wait for the gap year. But that's just me and remember, this is your choice and im not intending on doing anything like this so my advice isnt 100% reliable
Reply 4
Original post by Toasticide
Hmmm that's a tough choice....
If politics is purely a backup if your normal A levels go kapp putsch then i think wait for the gap year. But that's just me and remember, this is your choice and im not intending on doing anything like this so my advice isnt 100% reliable

Well i dunno. I feel like generally this could apply to all subjects so i don't think your advice is any less valuable just because you're a maths-ey kinda guy. :smile:

Say if a uni had AAA as their entry requirement. Would i be better off getting A*AB or A*ABB. Would that extra B bring me down do you know?
Original post by MadWolf
Well i dunno. I feel like generally this could apply to all subjects so i don't think your advice is any less valuable just because you're a maths-ey kinda guy. :smile:

Say if a uni had AAA as their entry requirement. Would i be better off getting A*AB or A*ABB. Would that extra B bring me down do you know?

even an extra D wouldn't bring you down. if nothing the extra B should look more impressive as the reason why most people do 3 A levels is because 3 is a LOT of work. 4 is crazy so it shows you can cope with extra work (even if you do a gap year).
Basically, extra qualifications never bring you down

Quick Reply

Latest