The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lostperson
I did one undergrad degree and one MSc...I sort of didn't want the year out to be empty so did a MSc at Oxford ...

are you a grad ?

Id prefer if you didn't ask me personal questions
I am going to guess Verbal reasoning on the ukcat
Original post by ellen111
Thank you to everyone who replied to my earlier post. I not really sure what happened today as in my mocks I was doing well and getting averages above 700. The vr and ar sections today were so strange especially ar where I genuinely thought I was picking the right answers throughout and got 550 in that section, when it's always been my best section. I did ran out of time and had to guess the last 3 shapes which must have cost me by the looks of it.*
Does anyone know if there are any 5 year med courses that put more weighting on GCSEs or don't have a cut off for the UKCAT? I really want to try my luck and apply this year even though I know my chances are slim. Sorry for the long post guys and all the best to everyone else who still has theres to do, if it's any consolation you're deffo gonna do better than me haha *

Cardiff, Birmingham and Bristol are known to hardly/not weight the ukcat and be GCSE heavy. Bmat universities are also known for not weighing the ukcat that much.
is anyone putting their UKCAT on their UCAS?
Original post by jbman690
There's no point of me doing bmat since i have a relatively bad set of gcse grades(only 3 A*'s). And most bmat unis have strong gcse applicants.

Not all bmat universities care about GCSEs. Imperial,ucl and BSMS don't.
Original post by hopeforunderdog
is anyone putting their UKCAT on their UCAS?

Lol wth
Reply 6826
I had my exam today.

550 VR, 750 QR and 620 AR giving an overall average of 640 which is literally what I had been getting in my mocks. I genuinely thought I was going to struggle the most in QR which turned out to be the easiest. Unfortunately, this is not good enough for GEM so i'll be sitting it again next year.

VR was harder than medify and practice tests (I agree with everyone who has been saying this in the thread). Chunky texts and chunky answers! My skim reading technique didn't really work as a lot of the questions were actually testing your overall comprehension of the text than just fact check. Even the true/false/can't tell questions were a bit tricky.
QR was easier with straightforward calculations but I missed out like 6-10 questions due to time! Just try to be super quick and move on the moment you find yourself struggling.
AR was around the same. Spotted a few patterns here and there. The most difficult questions I found were the set assigning ones as you really have to figure out all the patterns. I spent a little too long on them and had to guess others/sacrifice marks as a result.

Overall, the experience was very beneficial and will hope to smash it next time.

Good luck to you all!
Original post by YouHaveProblems
Lol wth

like there's an option to put it in with your grades but not sure if to put it in if UKCAT are going to send them anyway?
Original post by hopeforunderdog
like there's an option to put it in with your grades but not sure if to put it in if UKCAT are going to send them anyway?

I've put mine in, there's no harm in doing it. I know UKCAT sends the data over anyway but it's fine for us to put it on UCAS too, obviously it probably won't be looked at but it at least shows you're serious and know you had to sit an admissions test
Original post by elish2chambers
I've put mine in, there's no harm in doing it. I know UKCAT sends the data over anyway but it's fine for us to put it on UCAS too, obviously it probably won't be looked at but it at least shows you're serious and know you had to sit an admissions test

ok thank you, did you put your total score or your average? I might just put it in just in case
Original post by kalp
I had my exam today.

550 VR, 750 QR and 620 AR giving an overall average of 640 which is literally what I had been getting in my mocks. I genuinely thought I was going to struggle the most in QR which turned out to be the easiest. Unfortunately, this is not good enough for GEM so i'll be sitting it again next year.

VR was harder than medify and practice tests (I agree with everyone who has been saying this in the thread). Chunky texts and chunky answers! My skim reading technique didn't really work as a lot of the questions were actually testing your overall comprehension of the text than just fact check. Even the true/false/can't tell questions were a bit tricky.
QR was easier with straightforward calculations but I missed out like 6-10 questions due to time! Just try to be super quick and move on the moment you find yourself struggling.
AR was around the same. Spotted a few patterns here and there. The most difficult questions I found were the set assigning ones as you really have to figure out all the patterns. I spent a little too long on them and had to guess others/sacrifice marks as a result.

Overall, the experience was very beneficial and will hope to smash it next time.

Good luck to you all!

What is GEM?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Graduate-entry medicine
Anyone need a Medify subscription i have one mock remaining also?
Does anyone know which universities are personal statement heavy apart from bristol? Thanks!
Hi Guys,
Congrats on all the brilliant scores! I was wondering, when medical schools consider the UKCAT do they put more weight on VR over QR etc or is it just the total number they look at?
Original post by kayasparkles
Does anyone know which universities are personal statement heavy apart from bristol? Thanks!

Liverpool

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ThrowawayMike
For Warwick and Newcastle, cut-offs significantly above 700 aren't unusual. In fact, I've heard of them going into the mid-700s for Newcastle's GEM course.

Original post by Lostperson
I did one undergrad degree and one MSc...I sort of didn't want the year out to be empty so did a MSc at Oxford ...

are you a grad ?

Original post by carbon_
Thank you! Graduate medicine is a lot more competitive unfortunately..due to the lack of places! Warwick is the biggest graduate medical school, with ~ 150 intakes..I think most other places are far far lower..like King's is like 20-30?

For graduate medicine, I think >700 is what you should be aiming for! Not sure about cutoffs because it depends on averages and it changes year to year! I think the averages will be released this Friday!

There have been cases were people have been getting interviews when their scores was lower than cutoff but it really depends on the university and how close they were to the cutoff! Warwick I know puts a lot of emphasis on VR - so that definitely needs to be higher than the average..and I think their cutoff last year was 700.

Original post by Mathsmad123
Not bye bye, just do BMAT :smile:

What courses have you guys done?
Original post by SirHugo
Hi guys,

Took the UKCAT last week, got
VR: 790
QR: 890
AR: 690
SJ: Band 2

AVG: 790

I was thinking about applying to the 4 years at Newcastle and Warwick, and I know my UKCAT number score is above the usual cutoff, but do you think the SJ score being band 2 will prevent me from interview?
I doubt it, Band 2 is pretty great. Warwick look at VR score and for it to be high so I think you can relax a bit now! :smile:

Original post by ellen111
Completely at devastated at how my ukcat went today. i got 583 average. is there anywhere at all i can apply to? or are my dreams of medicine completely over :frown: (I'm a graduate)*

Trying BMAT/GAMSAT?
Original post by DogTheDoctor
Hi Guys,
Congrats on all the brilliant scores! I was wondering, when medical schools consider the UKCAT do they put more weight on VR over QR etc or is it just the total number they look at?

Depends on uni. Are you GEM?
I got 580 in VR, 770 in QR (computer froze for a minute and 20 seconds and I couldn't get the time back so I had to call Pearson) and 730 in AR (693 average) and Band 3 in SJT (:biggrin:)

Is it a good idea to apply for Southampton, Nottingham and Exeter? Which other unis will this score be enough for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending