The Student Room Group

Core 3 Differentiation

How do I differentiate 2ln(x/4)? The answer is 2/x but I am not sure what the steps are to get that answer
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Yusufff
How do I differentiate 2ln(x/4)? The answer is x/2 but I am not sure what the steps are to get that answer

dont you mean 2x \displaystyle \frac{2}{x}?

well as a generall rule, ddxln(f(x))=f(x)f(x) \displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} \ln(f(x)) = \frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} if that helps you any
Reply 2
Original post by DylanJ42

well as a generall rule, ddxln(f(x))=f(x)f(x) \displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} \ln(f(x)) = \frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} if that helps you any

Yeah sorry typo :colondollar: Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by DylanJ42

I have another problem, probably a silly mistake but:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1475521448.900246.jpg
How did the answer get a 1 on the numerator?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
What is dydx,y=x12 \frac{dy}{dx}, y = \frac{x-1}{2}? That's where you're going wrong.
Reply 5
Original post by trythis
What is dydx,y=x12 \frac{dy}{dx}, y = \frac{x-1}{2}? That's where you're going wrong.

y=x12,dydx=112=02 y = \frac{x-1}{2}, \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1-1}{2} = \frac{0}{2}

This is what I'm getting, I can't spot the silly mistake o-o
y=12x12y = \frac {1}{2}x - \frac{1}{2}

Try differentiating that, remembering that differentiating a constant gives you zero
Reply 7
Original post by drinktheoceans
y=12x12y = \frac {1}{2}x - \frac{1}{2}

Try differentiating that, remembering that differentiating a constant gives you zero

That just leaves you with 1/2 right? ...Aaand that's what I was doing wrong:facepalm: TY!

Quick Reply

Latest