The Student Room Group

Maths GCSE

How could i get an A* in my maths GCSE. Any study tips or advice ??????
perfect the B grade/A grade & A* grade topics and do papers A LOT. Use hegartymaths, he goes through everything. He also does questions for every topic in each video so complete them. When you mark past papers, do not mark generously but harshly and make sure you end up with consistent A* grades or higher.
Reply 2
Original post by samantham999
perfect the B grade/A grade & A* grade topics and do papers A LOT. Use hegartymaths, he goes through everything. He also does questions for every topic in each video so complete them. When you mark past papers, do not mark generously but harshly and make sure you end up with consistent A* grades or higher.

Thanks soo much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will do
Original post by lucy101010
Thanks soo much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will do

Anytime!
Get that A* in maths, universities love it
Good luck X
I also needed help with maths so thank you
Original post by samantham999

Keep in mind you can't be doing A* topics if you can't do the topics for the other grades so just basically revise the whole syllabus

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I literally did every past paper that's ever been used. If you start early and do like one a week it's such a handy way to do it. Start by ignoring the time limit and just going through the questions - seeking help with anything you don't yet know. Eventually once you're confident with the topics you can start timing yourself and doing them in 'exam conditions'. The thing I found most important is to tackle problems as they arise instead of skipping them and not really coming back to them! Hope this helps!
Reply 7
Original post by DerryJ
I literally did every past paper that's ever been used. If you start early and do like one a week it's such a handy way to do it. Start by ignoring the time limit and just going through the questions - seeking help with anything you don't yet know. Eventually once you're confident with the topics you can start timing yourself and doing them in 'exam conditions'. The thing I found most important is to tackle problems as they arise instead of skipping them and not really coming back to them! Hope this helps!

Great advice ! :smile: THANKS !!
Reply 8
Original post by Naomeyz_01
Keep in mind you can't be doing A* topics if you can't do the topics for the other grades so just basically revise the whole syllabus

Posted from TSR Mobile

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
Original post by Naomeyz_01

Posted from TSR Mobile

This why is why I stated that she should perfect B grade and above content.
I assumed she would know the C grade and below because she is aiming for an A* and it is pretty basic.
In the new 9-1 GCSEs there's going to be a lot more multi-step problems which requires you to use knowledge from different topics all in one question. Unfortunately there aren't many past papers that reflect this. It's important to develop a mathematical intuition about how to solve a problem. When you're revising quadratic equations, you know that you're going to have to use quadratic equations to solve the problems. In the exam, it will be much less obvious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by BobBobson
In the new 9-1 GCSEs there's going to be a lot more multi-step problems which requires you to use knowledge from different topics all in one question. Unfortunately there aren't many past papers that reflect this. It's important to develop a mathematical intuition about how to solve a problem. When you're revising quadratic equations, you know that you're going to have to use quadratic equations to solve the problems. In the exam, it will be much less obvious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest