The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
WHAT?! We need 2? How come? where does it go?

You could write about what initially sparked your interest in medicine. What you've learnt from work and how it will be relevant to a career in medicine. You don't need to criticise your job. but also mention what about being a doctor appeals to you.

Both Oxford and Cambridge require additional refs. The other GEM programmes only ask for the UCAS application. Relax!
Original post by Katray
I'm a bit confused re 2 references as well? I thought it was just one via UCAS. Do we send another one directly to the uni or??

I've just seen the person who said re 2 referees they're applying to Cambridge which require 2 references so that could explain it....

Oxford and Cambridge require an additional application form/references which is sent directly to them, not UCAS. All the other GEM med schools only require the UCAS application at this stage. Some obviously want proof of experience, etc, but that is further along the process.
Original post by Rosser1994
How many references do we need? Is it 1 or 2? There doesn't seem to be a position on UCAS for 2?

Unless you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, you only need 1.
Original post by NHSFan
Both Oxford and Cambridge require additional refs. The other GEM programmes only ask for the UCAS application. Relax!

Thank god. I thought I had missed something even though I spent the whole summer looking for all entry requirements for the unis I'm applying to.
Thank god. I thought I had missed something even though I spent the whole summer looking for all entry requirements for the unis I'm applying to.

Hahah tell me about it!
Original post by NHSFan
Oxford and Cambridge require an additional application form/references which is sent directly to them, not UCAS. All the other GEM med schools only require the UCAS application at this stage. Some obviously want proof of experience, etc, but that is further along the process.

Thanks for clearing that up! Think we all panicked a bit there lol
Hadn't realised how painful UCAS applications are :frown:
After a summer of UKCAT, GAMSAT, PS and reference fun looking forward to getting this show on the road!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NafNaf39
Hadn't realised how painful UCAS applications are :frown:

Same here. I have to cut like 700 words off my personal statement.

I went crazy with it last night cos it was bugging me so much. It's good now but too long.

I have verbal diarrheoa.

Original post by saward1988
After a summer of UKCAT, GAMSAT, PS and reference fun looking forward to getting this show on the road!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm terrified that I'll get all excited and then find out my GAMSAT score is awful.
Same here. I have to cut like 700 words off my personal statement.

I went crazy with it last night cos it was bugging me so much. It's good now but too long.

I have verbal diarrheoa.

I'm terrified that I'll get all excited and then find out my GAMSAT score is awful.

I'm exactly like that too. Sometimes it all just comes out in one big mess but I feel somewhat okay with my PS now. I've managed to get it to fit in the 47 lines with characters to spare!!! Don't know how.

Just been filling in the UCAS form so I can get my reference request sent off ASAP, so the referee has enough time to do it and he's not rushing it.

Aw don't worry GAMSAT will be fine! Just glad I did mine in the March sitting, had to pay a bit more but definitely is worth it, especially when you have your score in hand before applying. And when you think you've not done well it always turns out the other way round :smile:

P.s. are you getting anyone you know to read your PS? :/
I'm exactly like that too. Sometimes it all just comes out in one big mess but I feel somewhat okay with my PS now. I've managed to get it to fit in the 47 lines with characters to spare!!! Don't know how.

Just been filling in the UCAS form so I can get my reference request sent off ASAP, so the referee has enough time to do it and he's not rushing it.

Aw don't worry GAMSAT will be fine! Just glad I did mine in the March sitting, had to pay a bit more but definitely is worth it, especially when you have your score in hand before applying. And when you think you've not done well it always turns out the other way round :smile:

P.s. are you getting anyone you know to read your PS? :/

Why don't you send the reference request off now? I mean you only need to complete the education and personal details part to send it off?

I sat it in March too. My score was 58 so thought I'd retake. I hope my score goes up

I wasn't planning on. Is it a good idea? I might see if a friend can just glance over it.
Why don't you send the reference request off now? I mean you only need to complete the education and personal details part to send it off?

I sat it in March too. My score was 58 so thought I'd retake. I hope my score goes up

I wasn't planning on. Is it a good idea? I might see if a friend can just glance over it.

Yeah I've sent it.

That's a really good score, thinking Swansea was either 58/59 :/ last year

I have my fingers crossed for you!

I want to just to get someone else thoughts on it? I've read mine way too many times and it all looks the same now. Need fresh eyes on it.
Hi everyone! do you perhaps know any a100 courses which would be okay for a graduate to apply to with a 687 in the UKCAT? I know its not enough for grad entry programmes but what about a100's? Thanks!
Yeah I've sent it.

That's a really good score, thinking Swansea was either 58/59 :/ last year

I have my fingers crossed for you!

I want to just to get someone else thoughts on it? I've read mine way too many times and it all looks the same now. Need fresh eyes on it.

Oooh good luck!

It's okay, they were 59 last year so I'm applying with September's results and just hoping they're better.

Thanks.
Lol I'm feeling like that. My PS is long enough to be a chapter in a novel.
True about GAMSAT results being a potential spanner...so they usually come out a specific number of weeks after the exam? Or is it kind of when they're ready?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1675
Original post by saward1988
True about GAMSAT results being a potential spanner...so they usually come out a specific number of weeks after the exam? Or is it kind of when they're ready?

Posted from TSR Mobile

From previous years, it seems to be 8 weeks from the exam so around mid Nov.
Original post by MedSchoolHope4
Hi everyone! do you perhaps know any a100 courses which would be okay for a graduate to apply to with a 687 in the UKCAT? I know its not enough for grad entry programmes but what about a100's? Thanks!

i have 700 and wondering the same!
Original post by dr_2b
From previous years, it seems to be 8 weeks from the exam so around mid Nov.

I'll still check my e-mails every five minutes from early November.
I'll still check my e-mails every five minutes from early November.

Same. I feel like the GAMSAT went poorly and I won't have done enough... but a little part of me tells me that many people feel that way and end up doing ok, and I finished every question in all sections (no blind guesses but a few educated ones). When November comes, time is going to slow down so much waiting for results!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Themightylaa
Same. I feel like the GAMSAT went poorly and I won't have done enough... but a little part of me tells me that many people feel that way and end up doing ok, and I finished every question in all sections (no blind guesses but a few educated ones). When November comes, time is going to slow down so much waiting for results!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I try to focus on the fact that I tend to do better in exams that I feel went badly.

Oh god. I know. A day is going to feel like eternity.

What does everyone think about Jeremy Hunt's plans to introduce more places for med students? I mean he says it's to tackle GP shortages but aren't we just going to end up with more people running around after surgiery and more people not wanting to do primary care?

I really hope it results in more places for grad entry medicine though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending