The Student Room Group

why do people simply not care when it comes to clivilians getting killed in Syria?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cremated_Spatula
You just want to argue pointlessly, don't you?

I'm waiting, I'm sure people would love to see the deficit fall by a quarter, or have a penny taken off income tax
Original post by Jammy Duel
I'm waiting, I'm sure people would love to see the deficit fall by a quarter, or have a penny taken off income tax

Keep waiting then.

The fact you think the invasion of Iraq was motivated by empathy says enough.
They simply follow all the hackneyed political discourse from the MSM for as long as their amoeba like concentration span allows, before continuing their orgy of ready meals, soap operas and reality kitchen shows....
Keep waiting then.

The fact you think the invasion of Iraq was motivated by empathy says enough.

You said that people don't care when it doesn't affect them, how was Iraq doing that? As I said, if people don't care in this way I guess very few support having to pay an extra penny of income tax just to throw it at the third world, I mean, this is clearly shown below:
You said that people don't care when it doesn't affect them, how was Iraq doing that? As I said, if people don't care in this way I guess very few support having to pay an extra penny of income tax just to throw it at the third world, I mean, this is clearly shown below:

I said "majority"
& "don't really care"
I said "majority"
& "don't really care"

Yes, 18% is an absolutely MASSIVE majority.
Yes, 18% is an absolutely MASSIVE majority.

I ignored the graph.

Look, I'm saying that the majority of people have enough of their own sh*t to deal with and when it is a nuisance, painful, exhausting, dangerous or comes at a sacrifice to themselves they will take the route of apathy.
It's question of lack of affect. Some people can imagine the horror which is happening, others know it intellectually but can't really take it in. They may be further towards the autistic end of the spectrum? They have trouble relating to other people and/or therefore seeing any urgency in dealing with it.

I expect that if they were faced with a child lost, injured, crying in the street they would go up to him and take responsibility - because it is right there to be dealt with and doesn't require a leap of imagination. Itr is not as easy to ignore it as something happening hundreds of mile away.

The suggestion that refugees should just stay in the nearest safe country ie Jordan etc. begs the question. There comes a time when the nearest countries have so many millions of refugees that their infrastructure just won't cope. This is particularly the case when the country, like those in the Middle east, are desperately poor themselves. We are one of the richest countries in the world yet we claim to be struggling with EU migrants who have come here to work . Much more easy to deal with than the traumatised, maybe physically and mentally damaged, refugees from Syria etc.

We also have a particular responsibility for these refugees because we were complicit in the decisions to draw artificial borders to create these countries with populations with little in common or historic mutual hostility. We set them up to fail. We also have been invading other countries, ( Libya, Iraq etc. ) bombing them, creating the situation the refugees are fleeing from.

History may condemn us as heartless brutes.
I ignored the graph.

Look, I'm saying that the majority of people have enough of their own sh*t to deal with and when it is a nuisance, painful, exhausting, dangerous or comes at a sacrifice to themselves they will take the route of apathy.

Convenient that, ignoring a graph that shows only 18% could come even close to not giving a **** about anything outside their own little bubble.
Convenient that, ignoring a graph that shows only 18% could come even close to not giving a **** about anything outside their own little bubble.

It shows that the majority of people would say they find it be important on a bureaucratic level. Hence why I ignored it.

Spoiler

Original post by pickup

History may condemn us as heartless brutes.

Nah. History is FULL of stuff like this. This is nothing in historical terms. Cruelty, pointless war, murder, rape and suffering on a massive scale drip off its every page.

What is happening now in Syria s no big deal and will be nothing more than a footnote in history a hundred years hence.

If it is remembered at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending