The Student Room Group

Will Fine Art A-level put me at a disadvantage for Product Design?

I want to study product design at university - mainly looking at Loughborough and possibly Brunel.

My school doesn't have the facilities for a D&T a-level so I'm currently taking fine art as it's the only option the school offers, but other people's portfolios seems to have a lot more 3D work and prototyping.

It's likely that my portfolio will be a lot more painting based, will this put me at a dsadvantage compared to those who do actual product design A-level?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hmm I should think not, as long as you are comfortable with drawing, sketching and other art techniques

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think.... 😁😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
focus on sculpture and drawing from 3d objects - then you'll have the key skills you'll need. maybe you could mix in 3d design program work into the course?? fine art is what u make it, it's ur agenda!
Original post by MountainEcho
I want to study product design at university - mainly looking at Loughborough and possibly Brunel.

My school doesn't have the facilities for a D&T a-level so I'm currently taking fine art as it's the only option the school offers, but other people's portfolios seems to have a lot more 3D work and prototyping.

It's likely that my portfolio will be a lot more painting based, will this put me at a dsadvantage compared to those who do actual product design A-level?

Hey there :biggrin:

Have you heard of Ravensbourne?
We are in London and next to the O2 arena.

Check our BA (Hons) Product design course! 3 years duration and the requirements you need is all in the website!

Also other Ravensbourne courses you might be interested in! To see it for yourself come and visit us so you can talk and meet current students and tutors! Get your tickets for the Open day!

To be honest, you will learn software and how to use machines (3D printers) for your model making and your drawing skills might come handy for render drawings. I'm a 3rd year Product design student and drawing here at Ravensbourne is important to show our ideas and development process! :biggrin:

Hope this helps,
Ahlia :biggrin:
Hi MountainEcho,

At Brunel, we ask for ABB with at least a grade B in an art or design subject, which can include an art A-level, and at least a grade B in maths or physics.
As long as you meet our entry requirements, you won't be at a disadvantage for not having a product design A-level. We'll be looking for applicants with the potential to succeed on the course rather than advanced product design abilities.

Good luck with your application!

Quick Reply

Latest