The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fleuves
Thank you for this. Yes, I have to mention it in my PS for Liverpool as I missed my offer. :-( they want me to reflect on what I learnt from missing the offer and essentially, how I won't miss it this year. Bit of a awkward position to be in lol.*

Triple quadruple check. If they still insist, keep it short and dont reference Liverpool directly. Talk about not achieving as highly as you'd like and what you're doing to improve but get your reference to talk more.

Liverpool are selfish if they expect a grovel in your PS as they should be aware that you will be applying elsewhere.
Original post by Neostigmine
I can't think if anything that should stop you starting.

I have a long term illness so Occupational Health have some assessments to carry out, they are looking at my medical records at the moment. Hopefully I'm good to go, the University has said that my offer still stands never the less, and they've insisted that I don't have to worry about catching up. Accommodation is all sorted too. I'm thinking should I attend my current offer in the meantime (Uni of Liverpool Biomed)(?)
Original post by Fahim999
I have a long term illness so Occupational Health have some assessments to carry out, they are looking at my medical records at the moment. Hopefully I'm good to go, the University has said that my offer still stands never the less, and they've insisted that I don't have to worry about catching up. Accommodation is all sorted too. I'm thinking should I attend my current offer in the meantime (Uni of Liverpool Biomed)(?)

Get in touch with the Uni of Southampton and ask them what to do. They shouldn't leave you hanging like this. If your offer stands regardless of the outcome then surely you should be starting as normal?

I would phone admissions first thing tomorrow and email the course lead who is the main lecturer (I can pm you her email address) and she will tell you what to do.
x

Hi, you're so helpful I wondered if you could help with an enquiry I have about finance.

How do students cover the cost of this course in yr0? As I understand SFE only fund 4 years of tuition fees, then the NHS will cover 1 year (yr6) ... *
Original post by Fleuves
Hi, you're so helpful I wondered if you could help with an enquiry I have about finance.

How do students cover the cost of this course in yr0? As I understand SFE only fund 4 years of tuition fees, then the NHS will cover 1 year (yr6) ... *

SFE cover 4 years - Y0, Y1, Y2, Y3.

The NHS covers "fifth and final year" which for 5 year courses is just year 5 but as Y4 is our fifth year, and then Y5 is our final year, the NHS covers both.
Get in touch with the Uni of Southampton and ask them what to do. They shouldn't leave you hanging like this. If your offer stands regardless of the outcome then surely you should be starting as normal?

I would phone admissions first thing tomorrow and email the course lead who is the main lecturer (I can pm you her email address) and she will tell you what to do.

The offer does not stand regardless of the outcome, apologies for any misunderstanding. The offer stands until the outcome made by Occupational Health has given me the all clear, so just waiting for that. The process is being delayed as my doctor has not yet replied to Occupational Health. Chances are I'll be starting the course late with adjustments for my own health safety. Accommodation has been approved. The University has stressed that I should not worry about catching up with the class once I join. They have also offered deferred entry for 2017 but I'd rather wait for the all clear.
SFE cover 4 years - Y0, Y1, Y2, Y3.

The NHS covers "fifth and final year" which for 5 year courses is just year 5 but as Y4 is our fifth year, and then Y5 is our final year, the NHS covers both.

Brilliant thank you. You're a star!*
Original post by Fleuves
Brilliant thank you. You're a star!*

Np. :h:

Original post by Fahim999
The offer does not stand regardless of the outcome, apologies for any misunderstanding. The offer stands until the outcome made by Occupational Health has given me the all clear, so just waiting for that. The process is being delayed as my doctor has not yet replied to Occupational Health. Chances are I'll be starting the course late with adjustments for my own health safety. Accommodation has been approved. The University has stressed that I should not worry about catching up with the class once I join. They have also offered deferred entry for 2017 but I'd rather wait for the all clear.

Ah fair enough.
You should be able to catch up no problem but I would still be hounding that doctor everyday. If it gets too late in the year deferred entry with a guaranteed spot isn't the worst!

Fingers crossed and good luck!
Original post by S1966
Did you get into medicine in the end

Yes. I got onto the BM6 programme and am halfway through my final year of medical school.

Original post by S1966
Thank you for the information about the bursary he got his in year 13 because we didn't know about the bursary in year 12 so missed out.
Regarding he applying to year Bm6 the reason is he doesn't have good GCSEs ,only 3 A * 3 As and rest all Bs at Southampton BM 5 he would need 7A* lots of universites score GCSEs ,the school he attend was very low at GCSEs rate,in sixth form he really worked hard used at lot of information online and some tuition helped him to get excellent grades at A levels,and he was the only child in the whole school to get straight A*s ,The school was in needs to improve criteria.

Fair enough! Good luck to him with his application. It's going to feel like a long wait but just keep going!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending