The Student Room Group

I know this is ridiculous.......but I find Japanese guys attractive

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rayestar
Well you're lucky today! You've met one right noww :biggrin:

Hahah nice to meet you! Actually I do hair modelling for a Japanese salon which is how I met Japanese people :biggrin:
Original post by bellalalaxo
Hahah nice to meet you! Actually I do hair modelling for a Japanese salon which is how I met Japanese people :biggrin:

nice to meet u too! :hugs:

ohhh thats pretty kool! Do you speak japanese?
nice to meet u too! :hugs:

ohhh thats pretty kool! Do you speak japanese?

No I don't :frown: Do you? Were you born here or in Japan?
No I don't :frown: Do you? Were you born here or in Japan?

Yeah I do. I can speak normally but my writing isn't the best lol. Probs middle school level in japan... :redface:
I was born in Japan but came here when I was little, so tbh I don't remember much about japan haha
wbu? What country u from?
Reply 84
South Asian guy here, first of all, I don't think liking a particular race is a massive issue unless of course you exclusively date that race and/or view any other race as inferior.

My main reason for joining this thread is to highlight certain problems that exist in the South Asian community - self-loathing is very accepted and encouraged CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY LIGHTER SKIN MEANS YOU ARE MORE BEAUTIFUL IT MAKES NO SENSE TO ME.

I am personally a fair-skinned South Asian - other races don't think I'm South Asian and other South Asians refuse to believe that I am indeed South Asian but I still don't understand why so much prejudice exists in my community.

We as South Asians NEED to take a stand here, we look at other races for beauty standards and end up self-hating - we need to recognise that our cultures and our people are just as good as any other, because at the end of the day, race should never be an issue - we are all humans after all.

Peace^^
Reply 85
It's not ridiculous that you find Japanese guys attractive. Everyone has their own preference. I personally find East Asian guys attractive 😉
Yeah I do. I can speak normally but my writing isn't the best lol. Probs middle school level in japan... :redface:
I was born in Japan but came here when I was little, so tbh I don't remember much about japan haha
wbu? What country u from?

Oh awesome! I'm just plain old British haha but I have an uncle from Korea and my cousin is from China so I was introduced to the different languages and cultures from quite early on :smile:
Original post by RFK1711
South Asian guy here, first of all, I don't think liking a particular race is a massive issue unless of course you exclusively date that race and/or view any other race as inferior.

My main reason for joining this thread is to highlight certain problems that exist in the South Asian community - self-loathing is very accepted and encouraged CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY LIGHTER SKIN MEANS YOU ARE MORE BEAUTIFUL IT MAKES NO SENSE TO ME.

I am personally a fair-skinned South Asian - other races don't think I'm South Asian and other South Asians refuse to believe that I am indeed South Asian but I still don't understand why so much prejudice exists in my community.

We as South Asians NEED to take a stand here, we look at other races for beauty standards and end up self-hating - we need to recognise that our cultures and our people are just as good as any other, because at the end of the day, race should never be an issue - we are all humans after all.

Peace^^

I KNOW I KNOW. CRAZY, ISN'T IT?!

Can you blame me though? As a south asian, can you honestly say our society is not obsessed with fair skin? Every time I go back home, first think my grandma says to me (unconsciously, bless her) is "you've grown darker" as if it's some bad thing (which you mention)

So yes. Call me racist against people of my own kind. It's strange, but I've started hating my skin. I want to be white. So badly. I'm not super dark either. Not extremely fair, but, coming from the north indian community, I'm not immensely dark (not saying that southerners are dark, but, because of their dravidian race, they usually are considered to be). But, I honestly, see no....benefit, up-side, to having brown-skin. I hate being brown. Not even just because of "looks"

It looks amazing on some people, ngl. I've never looked at Naomi Campbell or Priyanka Chopra and thought "they'd look much prettier if they were white"

But, in my case, I wish I was. It would just......erase a lot of prejudice. I hate being automatically judged as uncultured, loud, obnoxious, just because my skin is two shades darker than someone else's.

I really wish I had blue eyes, or ginger hair, or fair skin. But I don't. and yet, my very own society makes me feel like I need to, to be pretty. It's ridiculous. I KNOW that. But, I still end up believing it.

Sigh, I'm filled with contradictions.

Also, yeah, obviously the person matters. I mean, I respect their culture a lot. Doesn't mean I'm blind to other cultures. I just.......think they're very nice people. And that's very attractive to me.
Reply 88
Original post by Anonymous
I KNOW I KNOW. CRAZY, ISN'T IT?!

Can you blame me though? As a south asian, can you honestly say our society is not obsessed with fair skin? Every time I go back home, first think my grandma says to me (unconsciously, bless her) is "you've grown darker" as if it's some bad thing (which you mention)

So yes. Call me racist against people of my own kind. It's strange, but I've started hating my skin. I want to be white. So badly. I'm not super dark either. Not extremely fair, but, coming from the north indian community, I'm not immensely dark (not saying that southerners are dark, but, because of their dravidian race, they usually are considered to be). But, I honestly, see no....benefit, up-side, to having brown-skin. I hate being brown. Not even just because of "looks"

It looks amazing on some people, ngl. I've never looked at Naomi Campbell or Priyanka Chopra and thought "they'd look much prettier if they were white"

But, in my case, I wish I was. It would just......erase a lot of prejudice. I hate being automatically judged as uncultured, loud, obnoxious, just because my skin is two shades darker than someone else's.

I really wish I had blue eyes, or ginger hair, or fair skin. But I don't. and yet, my very own society makes me feel like I need to, to be pretty. It's ridiculous. I KNOW that. But, I still end up believing it.

Sigh, I'm filled with contradictions.

Also, yeah, obviously the person matters. I mean, I respect their culture a lot. Doesn't mean I'm blind to other cultures. I just.......think they're very nice people. And that's very attractive to me.

You've hit the nail on the head - it's not your fault you feel this way, its our own community and society that forces us to think this way, it's a vicious circle.

My parents are both Pakistani Punjabi but my mother has roots from farther north and has so has very very fair skin - whenever I visit my fathers family they are so obsessed with my skin tone, it's so silly, my cousins call me and my siblings 'lucky' and tell us they're so jealous and I get so annoyed but what can you do ahhhhh. Like I said it's just a vicious circle which hopefully starts to die out with the newer generations....
Sigh, same here.

If you're interested in the language you could just learn it. Ever thought about visiting Japan ?
It's stupid. Really stupid, i've never even been to Japan. But......I love their culture and......I'm attracted to Japanese guys.

And then I remember I'm a bloody south asian. Ugh, the impossibleness of the situation.

Watch this!! I saw this girl and they're saying she doesn't look Japanese but I think she doesn't look Indian either

[video="youtube_share;0x0Kv5pKuTk"]http://youtu.be/0x0Kv5pKuTk[/video]
Original post by HurtfulHarold
If you're interested in the language you could just learn it. Ever thought about visiting Japan ?

Boy, have I??

Yeah, after my A-levels, I'm going to use that break to learn japanese.
Boy, have I??

Yeah, after my A-levels, I'm going to use that break to learn japanese.

Good luck wih that. If you become fluent you could watch anime without subs! Actually that reminds me of a friend who has watched so much anime he can practically understand japanese now, it's crazy.
Original post by RFK1711

Indo-Aryans in India used to look white, simple. As the people ruling the region they put themselves as the beauty standard and said dark skin is inferior.
Original post by Lemonsponge
Indo-Aryans in India used to look white, simple. As the people ruling the region they put themselves as the beauty standard and said dark skin is inferior.

I may be wrong but isn't there also something to do with the tone of your skin being an indicator of wealth?
I've heard that the darker your skin the poorer you used to look a long time ago, like you worked in fields? I may be wrong, no one get mad at me please
I may be wrong but isn't there also something to do with the tone of your skin being an indicator of wealth?
I've heard that the darker your skin the poorer you used to look a long time ago, like you worked in fields? I may be wrong, no one get mad at me please

Umm, not exactly. Of course in the Indian sun you'd get more tanned working outside but it's more of a case that we had different races in India before the mixing.
Umm, not exactly. Of course in the Indian sun you'd get more tanned working outside but it's more of a case that we had different races in India before the mixing.

Oh sorry I meant generally in Asia not just India but that's pretty interesting
Are you an Anime fan by any chance? :P

It's not ridiculous; you like what you like.

No, no, being someone who's born and currently living, I can say she's right. Darker people are thought to have worked in menial jobs, and not considered "clean" High-castes are known to be fairer and more "pure" because they live in luxury.

Something which I think is ridiculous, because, hello, people, IT'S FRICKING MELANIN. Sheesh, all them educated people forgetting science.
Lol, I meant born and currently living IN INDIA.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest