The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KJSwale
I've also applied
1. Diplomat
2. Houses of Parliament
3. Human Resources

I've also completed the tests. Practicing for e-tray and hoping to pass the SJT/behavioural. I'm hoping to hear soon but think we may have to wait until the 7 days is over :-(

Hi, I was just wondering what you are using to revise for the e-tray exams?
Original post by bj_945
I think for me it's definitely a bad thing as I am quite good at the maths and verbal tests, but have never been able to work out the Situational Judgment Tests - they seem to have at least an element of unpredictability/randomness to them.

It also seems quite a bad thing generally as they are lowering academic standards (unless they have these tests later at the FS centre or something).

I agree with this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gingerwizard
Any idea why they've chosen to scrap the numerical and verbal online tests. I feel like the ones we have left with wont be enough to seperate people. And to clarify applying for other streams i.e. commercial does not hamper your chances?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly it was a surprise to me too, however for some of the streams last year, you had to repeat the numerical and verbal reasoning at the assessment centre, so maybe they'll only introduce them then.

From my experience, the e-tray was way more difficult than any of the exams before it and is likely to whittle down the numbers anyway.

I'm afraid I can't be of much help with regards to your last question, but i'm sure places will be awarded based on merit and that other applications will have a negligible effect on your progress :smile:
Original post by Lillybingo
Honestly it was a surprise to me too, however for some of the streams last year, you had to repeat the numerical and verbal reasoning at the assessment centre, so maybe they'll only introduce them then.

From my experience, the e-tray was way more difficult than any of the exams before it and is likely to whittle down the numbers anyway.

I'm afraid I can't be of much help with regards to your last question, but i'm sure places will be awarded based on merit and that other applications will have a negligible effect on your progress :smile:

I watched this thread avidly last year and can't remember anyone having to repeat their tests at the assessment centre. There were people who had reasonable adjustments due to disabilities who did them at the assessment centre. Which steams did you mean?*
I just applied to 3 streams, and I have been given a week to do the online tests... are there separate online tests for each one we applied for or do we just do one online test does anyone know?
Original post by Lillybingo
Hi, I was just wondering what you are using to revise for the e-tray exams?

I've used a couple to be honest, just googled and tried a few websites and had a good read, most recently I looked at https://www.assessmentcentrehq.com/assessment-centre-exercises/e-tray-exercise/
Still waiting for results 😔 I'm starting to think this means I didn't pass them..

It's one test for all streams you applied for as in one SJT and one behavioural
Reply 186
Anyone heard anything back from doing the tests? Also whats the etray exercise like? Never done one before.

J
Having applied last year and gone through the online tests, etray and FSAC, it isn't unusual for CS to hold off on setting pass marks straight away. It is likely, given how long the application window is, that they haven't yet set the initial pass marks for the situational judgement and behavioural tests, and are instead waiting to gauge the types of scores they are getting and go from there. Hope this helps those of you panicking about not hearing back yet! :smile:*
I missed out after FSAC narrowly in 2016 - however started applying to interesting EO (grade below fast stream) roles directly and am due to start one shortly.

I'm personally disappointed that the verbal and numerical tests have been removed, I'm sure they must have seen a lack of correlation between performance in them and performance on the job - otherwise it would strike me as diminishing the quality of the intake in order to address the lack of diversity found in the Bridge report.
So I was browsing around looking for more stuff to help for the initial tests and I found this;
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework

It's the current civil service framework (which expires in 2017 but I assume they'll be using this for recruitment), and lists the main 10 competencies along with effective and ineffective behaviour. So I assume this is what they'll be looking for in the SJ and behavioural tests. I'll be using this to prep and will be taking my tests next week so I'll update if it is of any use.
Did not enjoy either the SJT or the behavioural test whatsoever. Would have much preferred verbal and numerical reasoning tests. Not very optimistic that I will get through to be honest.
Does anyone know if we do one set of online tests, or separate online tests for each role we have applied for?
Original post by twister123
Does anyone know if we do one set of online tests, or separate online tests for each role we have applied for?

I applied for three streams and it seems to be only one test for one. I guess if we get to the video interview and assessment centre there may be different questsions/tasks for us to do depending on which stream we chose.
I sat my Situational Judgement test last night. I registered almost as soon as it opened and my tests were expiring today. It's no different to last year's test, in my opinion. That said, I can't remember my answers from last year. I wasn't asked to sit any others but this year I am an internal and last year was external as was at risk of redundancy.
Original post by Caravan_Palace
I applied for three streams and it seems to be only one test for one. I guess if we get to the video interview and assessment centre there may be different questsions/tasks for us to do depending on which stream we chose.

Last year it was one test for all streams, one assessment centre but some had a final selection board and some didn't e.g. Houses of Parliament.
Original post by hodgey111
Did not enjoy either the SJT or the behavioural test whatsoever. Would have much preferred verbal and numerical reasoning tests. Not very optimistic that I will get through to be honest.

Last year you had both kinds unless you had a reasonable adjustment then could skip verbal and numerical reasoning. So you still would have sat these tests. Last year it was situational judgement and competency questionnaire but both are measuring your personality/thought processes against the competencies.
Original post by twister123

One set. I answered the post below.
Original post by Caravan_Palace
So I was browsing around looking for more stuff to help for the initial tests and I found this;
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework

It's the current civil service framework (which expires in 2017 but I assume they'll be using this for recruitment), and lists the main 10 competencies along with effective and ineffective behaviour. So I assume this is what they'll be looking for in the SJ and behavioural tests. I'll be using this to prep and will be taking my tests next week so I'll update if it is of any use.

I found preparing for them not particularly helpful as they are largely about your behaviour in certain situations. To a degree, it is your judgement, hence the name. But each to your own and boning up on the competencies is wise anyway.
Hi Guys, I contacted the Fast Stream people via the Facebook chat a few days ago regarding expected results date for the online SJT and behavioral tests. Having originally stating that you should hear back immediately if you are successful or not, they were unsure and checked into this. I got confirmation this morning that they would be contacting candidates individually and expect this to begin in the next week or so. I hope this puts some fears at ease... there is still hope! :wink:
Having been through this last year, even though it has been changed a bit, I urge you all not to worry about results. I went through band narrowing two to three times post assessment centre and it can get quite stressful. This part is the quickest part, in my experience.

Register for civil service jobs and apply for some EO and HEO vacancies for practice with the civil service competency framework and catch up on some Netflix. It may be a shorter ride this year but it will still take a long time. It's a long winded process and I learned last year that the latter part can be very exhausting as you become more invested.

Just my ten penneths worth.

I am waiting on the direct appointment scheme too after narrowly missing out on my score last year. It's difficult but it's easier if you try to put it out of your mind and look at doing other things to run in tandem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending