The Student Room Group

Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry

I managed to get the 4th edition for a 10er. The current 6th edition is £50 quid.

Are there many differences between editions?
The basics, of course, remain the same. But this is 2 editions behind, and is thus rather out of date. Importantly, the papers cited will not have the most up-to-date research - not a killer if you're doing an introductory biochem course at level 4, but maybe more important if bichem is a larger part of your course, or you're doing it to a higher level. In short, I'd say that this book will be useful for the basic stuff, but will need supplementing with something a little more up to date.
Original post by Reality Check
The basics, of course, remain the same. But this is 2 editions behind, and is thus rather out of date. Importantly, the papers cited will not have the most up-to-date research - not a killer if you're doing an introductory biochem course at level 4, but maybe more important if bichem is a larger part of your course, or you're doing it to a higher level. In short, I'd say that this book will be useful for the basic stuff, but will need supplementing with something a little more up to date.

Thanks. I've asked my lecturer but I think it should be okay. I've looked at the "what's new" and there seem to be introductory studies (stuff I can google) but nothing to suggest chunks of core content has been discounted. I'm doing a biochem degree and wanted to have a tome to refer to for reference purposes. I of course also have the 24 library and the internet.
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
Thanks. I've asked my lecturer but I think it should be okay. I've looked at the "what's new" and there seem to be introductory studies (stuff I can google) but nothing to suggest chunks of core content has been discounted. I'm doing a biochem degree and wanted to have a tome to refer to for reference purposes. I of course also have the 24 library and the internet.

Yes, exactly right. I personally find Stryer (10th ed) the most useful, but then I know people who swear by Voet & Voet. Best thing is to have a look at a few in the library to see which one 'clicks' with you better. Best of luck.
Original post by Reality Check
Yes, exactly right. I personally find Stryer (10th ed) the most useful, but then I know people who swear by Voet & Voet. Best thing is to have a look at a few in the library to see which one 'clicks' with you better. Best of luck.

Stryer was the other one recommended :yep:. Voet & Voet is apparently the Gold Standard according to the Amazon brief!

Have you used Brock's Microbiology? I found a 2nd version of the current edition on there.
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
Stryer was the other one recommended :yep:. Voet & Voet is apparently the Gold Standard according to the Amazon brief!

Have you used Brock's Microbiology? I found a 2nd version of the current edition on there.

I found Voet offputting somehow - I didn't like the way it was written and the explanations seemed less clear than the Stryer. This is, of course, subjective. As for Brock's Micro, yes it's excellent and I' recommend it - particularly if it's a current edition at a good price.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending