The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry with a Sports Science Degree and no Chemistry A Level

Hi all,

Person who post-graduation went into the corporate/business world and only recently realised what I actually wanted to do with my life 1 year post first degree.

I have a good amount of work experience so far and am lining up more, but I am slightly worried that with my degree in applied sports science ( human biology and psychology) and my lack of chemistry A level I won't stand much of a chance at application time. My university course had a fair amount of chemistry and loads of biology, plus I have taken a number of online veterinary courses on Coursera.

I'm basically writing to see if anyone is or has been in the same boat as me, or whether any of you have any insight on the above?
Has anyone taken a chemistry A level after university to improve their application?

I'm planning on applying next september without the chemistry A level, but if not then I will apply the following year with the chemistry A level.

Any advice welcome!
Original post by tomandbear
Hi all,

Person who post-graduation went into the corporate/business world and only recently realised what I actually wanted to do with my life 1 year post first degree.

I have a good amount of work experience so far and am lining up more, but I am slightly worried that with my degree in applied sports science ( human biology and psychology) and my lack of chemistry A level I won't stand much of a chance at application time. My university course had a fair amount of chemistry and loads of biology, plus I have taken a number of online veterinary courses on Coursera.

I'm basically writing to see if anyone is or has been in the same boat as me, or whether any of you have any insight on the above?
Has anyone taken a chemistry A level after university to improve their application?

I'm planning on applying next september without the chemistry A level, but if not then I will apply the following year with the chemistry A level.

Any advice welcome!

hi :smile:

have u sat the ukcat?
im in the same boat and doing them this year...
Hi all,

Any advice welcome!

I think university of East anlear might consider you???
There's only one thing slightly more competitive than medicine and that's VetMed...

Rightly or wrongly, Sports Science is not going to be seen as the most academically rigorous first degree, and you will be in direct competition with both school leavers with a raft of A* at GCSE and A level and graduates in experimental sciences with similar qualifications. I'm not trying to be negative here, just realistic as it would be irresponsible to write some spiel filling you with false hope.

If you're serious about an application for VetMed, then I would suggest chemistry A level is an absolute must. You'd be advised to contact the few VetMed schools there are to enquire about this, and whether they'd be happy to accept an A level post degree (most are, so long as you get an A/A* at the first sitting). A good result in A level chemistry, and a very strong score in the UKCAT and you've started to look like a serious candidate...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Hi everyone, thanks for the replies

@reality_check Not to worry, I totally realise i have to be realistic and I do wish I could go back 5 years and change degree path to Veterinary however i can only work with what I have. I know that my first degree unfortunately gets a mixed review mainly due to the variation between the top universities and it being medical science degree (what I did) and the not so top universities where it is being a coaching/PE degree.

Yes that was on my to do list this week to ask about Chemistry A level to the Vet schools. Ignoring my first degree I am only a Chemistry A level away from having a solid application as an undergrad so we shall see. I guess another option is to look abroad however that is a bit out there. More research to do !
Hi everyone, thanks for the replies

@reality_check Not to worry, I totally realise i have to be realistic and I do wish I could go back 5 years and change degree path to Veterinary however i can only work with what I have. I know that my first degree unfortunately gets a mixed review mainly due to the variation between the top universities and it being medical science degree (what I did) and the not so top universities where it is being a coaching/PE degree.

Yes that was on my to do list this week to ask about Chemistry A level to the Vet schools. Ignoring my first degree I am only a Chemistry A level away from having a solid application as an undergrad so we shall see. I guess another option is to look abroad however that is a bit out there. More research to do !

I wish you the very best of luck. You sound like you've done a fair bit of research, and I applaud the ambition to go for something so competitive. As you probably know, the issue with foreign study is the fee, but it's no gimmie as a second undergraduate here!
You need A-level biology and chemistry for all vet schools no matter what's your degree.
The only vet school that doesn't require A-levels is RVC but I'm not sure if they accept Sports Science degree, you would have to email them.

Also, you don't need UKCAT for any vet school nor any other entry exams (With Cambridge being the only exception - they require BMAT)
As for work experience aim for minimum 10 weeks to be on the safe side (4 vet + 6 others)

The best option for you right now would be to take a gap year and sit your A-levels and then apply next year.
Hi all,

Any advice welcome!

I'm going to say now not to apply without chemistry A level. For pretty much all the universities, with a 2:1 or above in bioveterinary science etc you must have a level chemistry, you're going to waste an application if you do not have chemistry prior to applying so please don't waste one of your applications!! Sports science whilst science based isn't one of the degrees the universities directly ask for so whilst some vet schools will accept it, you need the other grades to go alongside

Liverpool : an upper second class (2.i) honours degree completed in the last 5 years is required together with biology and chemistry at A level

Biovet, zoology or animal science degrees (BSc); grades CC in biology and chemistry at A level

All other science degrees (BSc) (YOU) ; grades BB on biology and chemistry at A level

Nottingham: degree at least 2:1 in a science-related subject (any BSc) together with A level chemistry and biology with supporting GCSE grade B in maths and English

RVC: you must have a degree in a relevant biological sciences discipline (which unfortunately is not sports science) therefore you would be required to have A in biology, A in chemistry and A/B in another subject of your choice

The other vet schools are exactly the same, I could sit here and write out their entry requirements as well but you get the general idea, no A level, no offer. They have grad applicants with the A levels to go along side, and will take an applicant with the relevant qualifications over an applicant without, and vet med is highly competitive.

You only have a limited number of applications for vet school, If you waste an application because you don't want to do the relevant A levels or are not ready but want to apply anyway you will lost one of your chances, and not everyone gets in first time, it took me 3 attempts before I got my place on the third go, and I had the grades as well.

Can I also point out you're liable to pay £9000 in tuition fees yourself for 4/5/6 years of the vet med degree. There is no funding for graduate entry vet medicine, so please be aware of this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thanks for the advice @Nessie162 and @Lizziefickling !

I've emailed the various schools to check my academics against the requirements but I'm pretty sure I'll be needing that chemistry A level.

I realise fully on the funding side the implications of post grad study etc but I'd much rather be a vet and make an actual difference than do what I am doing/working as now. It is just unfortunate I only really worked out what I wanted to do now rather than when i started 6th form!
Thanks for the advice @Nessie162 and @Lizziefickling !

I've emailed the various schools to check my academics against the requirements but I'm pretty sure I'll be needing that chemistry A level.

I realise fully on the funding side the implications of post grad study etc but I'd much rather be a vet and make an actual difference than do what I am doing/working as now. It is just unfortunate I only really worked out what I wanted to do now rather than when i started 6th form!

Good luck for when you do apply! It's definitely a rewarding career when you finally get to the end of the degree!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending