The Student Room Group

Kings College London- Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AmaduM
I think you'd definitely be considered for an interview, especially with your UKCAT score since they rank applicants accordingly.

That's reassuring to hear! I was just worried as everyone seems to have A*A*A predictions or likewise, but thank you!
Original post by Mimihxx04
That's reassuring to hear! I was just worried as everyone seems to have A*A*A predictions or likewise, but thank you!

It may seem intimidating at first but you have to remember that grades are not the only thing KCL look when deciding who to invite for an interview. Academics is used in conjunction with UKCAT at the initial stage however, they take a holistic approach with your application when deciding for interviews/offer. So if you perform well in ALL aspects of the application then you'd be in a good position. Your stats definitely tell well. Don't concern yourself with straight A* predictions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AmaduM
It may seem intimidating at first but you have to remember that grades are not the only thing KCL look when deciding who to invite for an interview. Academics is used in conjunction with UKCAT at the initial stage however, they take a holistic approach with your application when deciding for interviews/offer. So if you perform well in ALL aspects of the application then you'd be in a good position. Your stats definitely tell well. Don't concern yourself with straight A* predictions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personal statement is arguably just as important as grades/UKCAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASTK98

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's important (It looks like they use the reference/PS for narrowing the pool down) but not as important as the UKCAT/grades combo (it's more of something in conjunction to help an admissions tutor decide).
(edited 7 years ago)

Predicted grades mean squat with Kings don't worry.
Original post by AmaduM

Posted from TSR Mobile

That makes a lot more sense now, thank you for your advice and help, really appreciate it :smile: Are you applying for medicine this year too?
Original post by studentsixth
Predicted grades mean squat with Kings don't worry.

ahhh that's so reassuring to hear :smile:
Original post by ASTK98

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel as if my personal statement is quite strong so fingers crossed they like it
Reply 148
Hi everyone,

I really love Kings but am unsure if it's worth me applying as many candidates seem to have stronger applications :-( I would be applying with:
- 7A*s and 4A's at GCSE
-A*AA at A-level (already achieved)
- 710 average on the UKCAT
- Band 1
- a reasonably strong personal statement

Does anyone have any advice on which med schools I should apply to? and Whether I should go for Kings? Thank you!!
That makes a lot more sense now, thank you for your advice and help, really appreciate it :smile: Are you applying for medicine this year too?

No worries :smile:

Yeah I'm applying as a graduate to Birmingham (4 year), Barts (5 year) and Southampton (5 year). I'm just torn between King's (5 year)/Warwick (4 year)/Leicester (5 year) for my fourth choice. Trying to do as much research as I can to see where I stand a better chance. It's so long lol
Original post by mcdcph
Hi everyone,

I really love Kings but am unsure if it's worth me applying as many candidates seem to have stronger applications :-( I would be applying with:
- 7A*s and 4A's at GCSE
-A*AA at A-level (already achieved)
- 710 average on the UKCAT
- Band 1
- a reasonably strong personal statement

Does anyone have any advice on which med schools I should apply to? and Whether I should go for Kings? Thank you!!

You're in a better position than most King's applicants. Go for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi - urgently need help!!
In my ukcat got an average of 617, band 2
Predicted A-levels: A* A A ( maths,bio,chem)
Gcses; 4 A*'s and 5 A's
i have done volunteering, shadowing etc
In school I was head boy, school councillor, a youth councillor and a lot of other things so I was heavily involved in the school environment and Kings have stated that is desirable.

Looking at everyone who's posting on this thread it seems academically and UKCAT score wise that my academics are not good at all - so do you think I should put down Kings is there any chance be honest - or should I put down St. Georges instead or neither?! I'm really stuck please help thanks
Original post by tomtom32
Gcses; 4 A*'s and 5 A's
In school I was head boy, school councillor, a youth councillor and a lot of other things so I was heavily involved in the school environment and Kings have stated that is desirable.

Looking at everyone who's posting on this thread it seems academically and UKCAT score wise that my academics are not good at all - so do you think I should put down Kings is there any chance be honest - or should I put down St. Georges instead or neither?! I'm really stuck please help thanks

It's worth a shot if it's your "dream" uni. Usually people are advised to put down 1 uni which is a bit of a risk and 3 that they're confident they can get into. King's could be that 1. Don't think that you're completely ruled out though - you're not

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 153
Original post by tomtom32
Gcses; 4 A*'s and 5 A's

St. George's want an average of A in the top 8 subjects at GCSEs, which you satisfy. King's however don't specifically state the GCSEs they want, but they do say that GCSEs, A-level predictions and UKCAT scores are used to shortlist for interview. This could be risky considering many applicants have a number of A* at GCSEs and A-level predictions.

King's are also known to be UKCAT heavy and the scores in the cut-offs in the last few cycles have been higher than your score as far as I can remember. St. George's have lower cut-offs in comparison and you'd have a greater chance there in my opinion.

Also at St. George's you'd have a pretty good chance of an interview. Having been predicted an A* you would easily satisfy the AAA requirement At A-level.

Having said all that though, if King's is where you really want to apply, then nothing should stop you from doing so, as long as you have carefully considered your other 3 choices.

All the best!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi i know Kings look for four Alevels for medicine but I've only taken 3 to A2. Would I still be able to apply? I had 9A* at GCSE a ukcat of 730 and predicted 3A*. Thanks 🙁🙁🙁
Original post by FA_600
St. George's want an average of A in the top 8 subjects at GCSEs, which you satisfy. King's however don't specifically state the GCSEs they want, but they do say that GCSEs, A-level predictions and UKCAT scores are used to shortlist for interview. This could be risky considering many applicants have a number of A* at GCSEs and A-level predictions.

King's are also known to be UKCAT heavy and the scores in the cut-offs in the last few cycles have been higher than your score as far as I can remember. St. George's have lower cut-offs in comparison and you'd have a greater chance there in my opinion.

Also at St. George's you'd have a pretty good chance of an interview. Having been predicted an A* you would easily satisfy the AAA requirement At A-level.

Having said all that though, if King's is where you really want to apply, then nothing should stop you from doing so, as long as you have carefully considered your other 3 choices.

All the best!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiya Thanks for your help! Yeah I don't mind which uni I go to - as long as I can get in and have a good chance of getting in! For St.Georges last years minimum overall UKCAT score was 2600/3600 which as a percentage is 72.2 % whereas my score this year 1850/2700 which as a percentage is 68.5 % so thats what makes me worry about St georges - and if I do even meet this years overall score if it drops I will be at the bottom of the pile! :frown: So if I cant meet this years overall score would they just reject my application or would they look at my gcses, predicted grades and ukcat score as a whole?
I have already got BSMS and Imperial down as my choices - I just need to choose 2 more from Leeds ( BMAT ) , bristol, st georges and Norwich so any help with choosing the two would help me out! I dont mind at all where I go - I just want to get in!
Thanks
Original post by stressed16
Hi i know Kings look for four Alevels for medicine but I've only taken 3 to A2. Would I still be able to apply? I had 9A* at GCSE a ukcat of 730 and predicted 3A*. Thanks 🙁🙁🙁

Where did you read that they like/look for 4 A Levels?
Reply 157
Hello. I'd like to know what are my chances of getting an interview at KCL.

GCSE's: 5A*'s 4A's 1B
AS results: AAAA (Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics)
A-Level results: A*A*A* (Biology, Chemistry and Maths)
UKCAT: VR 570, QR 750, AR 750. Band 3. Average 690

I feel like I don't have enough A*'s at GCSE or my UKCAT isn't good enough to get an interview. I also think my band 3 will get me rejected pre-interview. I would like an honest opinion on my chances of getting an interview as I dont want to waste one of my four choices.
Original post by Ali A-R
Hello. I'd like to know what are my chances of getting an interview at KCL.

GCSE's: 5A*'s 4A's 1B
AS results: AAAA (Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics)
A-Level results: A*A*A* (Biology, Chemistry and Maths)
UKCAT: VR 570, QR 750, AR 750. Band 3. Average 690

I feel like I don't have enough A*'s at GCSE or my UKCAT isn't good enough to get an interview. I also think my band 3 will get me rejected pre-interview. I would like an honest opinion on my chances of getting an interview as I dont want to waste one of my four choices.

I'm not 100% but I think most uni's want minimum of a band 2 in the SJT. Although, med schools like Warwick don't even consider it so best to check the medical school's website.

You UKCAT isn't awful though. Worth a shot still I'd say. People with worse are applying..
Hi!!!What's the lowest UKCAT score likely to be considered for an application at Kings?
I did mine today and it didn't go too well. :frown:
I got 650
VR - 540
QR - 720
AR - 690
GCSEs aren't too good either: 1A*, 3As the rest Bs.
Predicted AAA despite getting BBCD in AS (Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Physics)

It's my favourite uni but by the looks of it my chances aren't high ! :frown:

What do you think??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending