The Student Room Group

Can bilinguals think in both languages?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by rayestar
I speak and think in 2 languages :h:

What languages can you think in? Can you think in any other languages?
Reply 21
Original post by rambapa
What languages can you think in?

Dutch and English
Reply 22
Original post by Mieka
Dutch and English

What age did you learn both languages? Can you think in any other languages?
Original post by rambapa
What languages can you think in? Can you think in any other languages?

I think in English and Japanese :biggrin:
I'm trying to self teach German at the moment.
I can. I speak 3 languages and think in 2!
Reply 25
Original post by rayestar
I think in English and Japanese :biggrin:
I'm trying to self teach German at the moment.

What age did you learn both languages?
Reply 26
Original post by sararodrigues
I can. I speak 3 languages and think in 2!

What languages can you speak? What languages can you think in? If you can speak 3 languages, why can't you think in 3?
Original post by rambapa
What age did you learn both languages?

japanese is my mother tongue and I began learning English when I was 4
well i can't think or speak in your language, which is clearly 'moron' based on your spamming.
Reply 29
Original post by rambapa
What age did you learn both languages? Can you think in any other languages?

I was born in the Netherlands to English parents, so always :smile:

I can sometimes think in German if I hear enough of it, since I learned it all the way through school and I'm studying it at uni as well.
Reply 30
Original post by Inexorably
well i can't think or speak in your language, which is clearly 'moron' based on your spamming.

Hmm never heard of that language.
Original post by rambapa
Hmm never heard of that language.

Not surprised. Those who are morons don't tend to realise they think that way.
Reply 32
Original post by Mieka
I was born in the Netherlands to English parents, so always :smile:

I can sometimes think in German if I hear enough of it, since I learned it all the way through school and I'm studying it at uni as well.

Oh wow, nice. You must have learnt Dutch and English at a very young age. Say before the age of 7 for both.

Is there a language you prefer to think in?
Reply 33
Original post by Inexorably
Not surprised. Those who are morons don't tend to realise they think that way.

lol "Welcome Squad", is this the standard TSR welcome.
Original post by Mieka
It depends on my mood if I'm angry or annoyed I think purely in Dutch and if I'm tired I tend to blur the two and get really confused.

I'm literally the same :rofl: Can barely express my angry thoughts in English that well anymore, it's all done in Dutch
Reply 35
Original post by alexschmalex
I'm literally the same :rofl: Can barely express my angry thoughts in English that well anymore, it's all done in Dutch

Are you Dutch as well?
I live in Finland so Finnish is my native language, and I've been learning Swedish since I was 5 or something and English since I was 9. I mostly think in Finnish, but pretty often in English too especially if I've been doing some work in English. (I'm applying to the UK so currently I'm doing lots of revision in English even though my school uses Finnish, plus I almost always read in English and listen to music where the lyrics are in English and the list goes on, so on many days I actually use more English than Finnish even though I speak Finnish with all my friends and family etc.) I can think in Swedish but don't do that so often. I think that's because even though I'm good at Swedish it still feels a bit tiring to think in it, plus I'm not exposed to Swedish nearly as often as I am to Finnish or English so there aren't many occasions for me to switch to that "Swedish-mood". I often also mix English with Finnish because there are lots of things you can't really express the way you want to in Finnish. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by rambapa
What languages can you speak? What languages can you think in? If you can speak 3 languages, why can't you think in 3?

I can speak in English, Portuguese, Spanish and basic French. I can think in English and Portuguese and its not that I can't think in spanish because sometimes out of nowhere I will think about something and talk to myself in spanish but its more because i choose not to? The only times spanish is present 'in me' is when i have to use it like in class, you know what i mean?
Reply 38
Original post by StationToStation
I live in Finland so Finnish is my native language, and I've been learning Swedish since I was 5 or something and English since I was 9. I mostly think in Finnish, but pretty often in English too especially if I've been doing some work in English. (I'm applying to the UK so currently I'm doing lots of revision in English even though my school uses Finnish, plus I almost always read in English and listen to music where the lyrics are in English and the list goes on, so on many days I actually use more English than Finnish even though I speak Finnish with all my friends and family etc.) I can think in Swedish but don't do that so often. I think that's because even though I'm good at Swedish it still feels a bit tiring to think in it, plus I'm not exposed to Swedish nearly as often as I am to Finnish or English so there aren't many occasions for me to switch to that "Swedish-mood". I often also mix English with Finnish because there are lots of things you can't really express the way you want to in Finnish. :smile:

So you can think in English, Finnish and Swedish, right? No other languages, right?
Original post by rambapa
So you can think in English, Finnish and Swedish, right? No other languages, right?

Yep! I speak a bit of Spanish and German too but definitely not enough for me to think in either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending