The Student Room Group

Are Beats by Dre really that bad?

I'm looking to get a pair of over ear headphones after my beats solos broke recently. I had them for about 2 years and was really pleased so naturally I want to get another new pair. But after looking online it seems people are very against them. I know they are over priced due to the brand, but I don't know any other headphones that have as good quality or comfort. Any suggestions?

Scroll to see replies

Bad quality (Bass boost and all that shite)
So so overpriced.
flimsy

Take a look at sennheisers if you want something good, but there are other good brands.

Just have a look around, beats are in the same catagory as macbooks.
Reply 2
Original post by AperfectBalance
Bad quality (Bass boost and all that shite)
So so overpriced.
flimsy

beats are in the same catagory as macbooks.

So MacBooks are bad quality, over-priced and flimsy?

Lol
so overrated
I meant relative to others for similar prices. I personally thought they were good but they are the only headphones I've used, so I cant be sure if others are better.
Reply 5
I'm a fan of Beats by Drake, myself.
Original post by phil16
So MacBooks are bad quality, over-priced and flimsy?

Lol

Bad quality for the price. yes
Overpriced 100%
flimsy kinda.

But the area is was talking about is stuff that people buy out of stupidity and lies.
and apple are a even worse company.
Reply 7
Buy Bowers and Wilkins P9 Signature

I think theyre overpriced tho...
Overpriced shite bought by people tricked by the advertising and going from 50p Apple earphones straight to £200+ Beats and then thinking they're amazing.

Plenty of headphones better than them for less money.
Original post by HopelessMedic
I'm looking to get a pair of over ear headphones after my beats solos broke recently. I had them for about 2 years and was really pleased so naturally I want to get another new pair. But after looking online it seems people are very against them. I know they are over priced due to the brand, but I don't know any other headphones that have as good quality or comfort. Any suggestions?
You clearly don't know anything about headphones.

Beats are just a fashion accessory, well known for that as far as I've seen. If you want good on-ear cans, you've got all sorts of makes to choose from. It depends on your taste in music more than anything else; I've got different phones that suit different genres, plus a general pair for when I can't be bothered choosing. That said, you can get Sony monitors for £15 or so and they're about as good as anything else unless you're a serious audiophile - and to be fair, if you think Beats are quality, you might be better served by just going to Poundland.
Original post by Tootles
You clearly don't know anything about headphones.

Beats are just a fashion accessory, well known for that as far as I've seen. If you want good on-ear cans, you've got all sorts of makes to choose from. It depends on your taste in music more than anything else; I've got different phones that suit different genres, plus a general pair for when I can't be bothered choosing. That said, you can get Sony monitors for £15 or so and they're about as good as anything else unless you're a serious audiophile - and to be fair, if you think Beats are quality, you might be better served by just going to Poundland.

Indeed I don't, hence the thread. I have only had Beats so its hard for me to say whether they were good, although I never had any issues with them.
Indeed I don't, hence the thread. I have only had Beats so its hard for me to say whether they were good, although I never had any issues with them.
Get a pair of Sennheisser headphones and put Wish You Were Here on.
(edited 7 years ago)
Terribly over-priced and I'd agree about their flimsiness as well.
Any suggestions?

Decide on a budget, look at audio brands like Sennheiser, Audio Technica etc then look at reviews for models you have in mind. Whether you want over ear or on ear, closed back or open back, if you are travelling with them and so on.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50X-Monitor-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD-Closed-Headphone-headband/dp/B00009ZSYG/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1475601661&sr=1-1&keywords=hd-25

Both good models to look into.

Go to a hi fi shop and compare. Audiphiles tend to laugh at overpriced stuff that sounds rubbish. make your own mind up.

http://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/headphones/best-headphones
There's so much better stuff for the price you're paying for beats. They're not bad but might as well spend the money more wisely.
Yup.
Reply 18
Decent headphones but you can get better ones for a cheaper price.

Sennheisers are the way to go.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-Momentum-Headphones-Android-Samsung-Black/dp/B00TKH1AMQ?th=1
(you can check the 1.0 models out too).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AperfectBalance
Bad quality for the price. yes
Overpriced 100%
flimsy kinda.

But the area is was talking about is stuff that people buy out of stupidity and lies.
and apple are a even worse company.

Lol, just because you cant afford one doesnt mean you can hate on it. I have an xps 13 and a pro 13 and my pro is much better thank you very much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending